New Wheel Questions/Recommendations.

Newbie321

Hi All.

I have a Silverback sola 1 with Stan's Crest s1 wheels. The rear rim is starting to get cracks around the holes where the spokes come out of the rim :(. I've also dented the rim twice although the dents aren't very noticeable. What wheel would you recommend I get? Also what are some of the cotcha's when looking for wheels?

Seeing as this is always brought up when I ask about my **** experience with this bike I weigh 80kg's, don't jump. I ride cross-country almost exclusively. 

Thanks!

Edited by Newbie321

Lyne Components Pulse 30 wheel set or just the rims.

Superb value for money and bomb proof.

Lyne is a fantastic choice. The service is great, good hubs, and a great wheelset. Im running the AMPv2 on the Silverback Stratos and they're amazing, even under my 120kg weight.

Another good option is Rapide wheels. 25mm rim option if you're set on XC riding, and had phenomenal service and support from Wayne. Have a set on my gravel bike, and they've survived some hella rough riding without hassle under my considerable weight...

Tips? Dont cheap out. Get brass nipples. Hub quality counts. Weight limits should be a big consideration factor. Dont get wheels with weird standards or proprietary spokes or hubs.

My AMPv2 gets hammered hard over rocks, ruts, jumps etc under my 105kg. 6 months down the line and not a single issue.

Also the swarm of angry bees from that high engagement hub is yummy.

I forgot to add the Rapide wheels. Wayne has great products with the excellent service.

Also have Crest S1. I thought on Crest MK3 cracks :(

If mine decides to go I will get Lyne components.

Just a question, would insurance cover this or do they see it as wear and tear?

Also have Crest S1. I thought on Crest MK3 cracks :(

If mine decides to go I will get Lyne components.

Just a question, would insurance cover this or do they see it as wear and tear?

Insurance will only cover damage as a result of an event, ie, you ride into a rock and break something. But just having rims show hairline fractures? Thats wear and tear...

If it's less than a year old Stans will warranty the rims.

If not, just rebuild with new rims. Nothing wrong with your hubs, spokes are double butted, so a rim with a similar ERD (WTB KOM Light i25 would be my choice), new nipples and a decent wheelbuilder and you're done.

If it's less than a year old Stans will warranty the rims.

If not, just rebuild with new rims. Nothing wrong with your hubs, spokes are double butted, so a rim with a similar ERD (WTB KOM Light i25 would be my choice), new nipples and a decent wheelbuilder and you're done.

Thanks for the reply. How and where does one go about getting that done in CPT and the cost more or less? 

Edit: Rims are almost 2 years old unfortunately. 

Edited by Newbie321

Rapide Rims are slightly lighter than Lyne rims, so I would suggest those over the Lyne rims for the riding you say you do, I had a set of the Rapide TR29-30 wheels and they were great, I weighed between 105kg and 110kg at the time and used them on some pretty rough Trail/Enduro riding and they were awesome

Another option I will recommend is Hunt wheels, I currently have a set of Trail Wides, they are AWESOME, only downside is that there may be a long waiting period if the rims are not in stock

Thanks for the reply. How and where does one go about getting that done in CPT and the cost more or less? 

Edit: Rims are almost 2 years old unfortunately. 

If I do it you'll be in for a shade under 5k all in if your spokes are in good shape. PM me for contact info if you're interested.

If I do it you'll be in for a shade under 5k all in if your spokes are in good shape. PM me for contact info if you're interested.

For 2 wheels or one? Seems like a new set would be a better deal?

Also I don't think the current hubs are all that good, they are promax hubs and I can't seems to find much into on them

Edited by Newbie321

New set and sell your old hubs to recoup some money.

Rapide Rims are slightly lighter than Lyne rims, so I would suggest those over the Lyne rims for the riding you say you do, I had a set of the Rapide TR29-30 wheels and they were great, I weighed between 105kg and 110kg at the time and used them on some pretty rough Trail/Enduro riding and they were awesome

Another option I will recommend is Hunt wheels, I currently have a set of Trail Wides, they are AWESOME, only downside is that there may be a long waiting period if the rims are not in stock

I also have TR29-30's and they have been great, but I am a flyweight so can't comment on endurance in that sense. I'm not sure if I'd go that wide for cross country though. Well, perhaps the OP should define cross country first. Is it marathon races with a bit of single track chucked in, or XCO type rough stuff?

Also I don't think the current hubs are all that good, they are promax hubs and I can't seems to find much into on them

Your first post said you have the S1 wheels, which come with Stans Neo hubs, which would have been worth keeping. 5k would do front and rear.

If they're Promax hubs then just get new wheels.

Thanks for all the replies, will get a new wheel(s). Droo sorry about the misinformation just the Rims are, they came with the bike and the promax hubs. 

By cross country I mean, I'm not to afraid to go over the ruff stuff and do smallish hops etc but its not like a bomb down rock gardens or jumps, its a hardtail after all. So will go for the sturdier wheels, don't care about a extra few grams of weight. 

Droo KNOWS his stuff !! :)

Speak to him on Monday. Sure he can sort you out, or at least point you in the right direction