This level of entitlement is not helpful to the community

Reme Le Hane

I'm obviously late to this forum which has now morphed into a debate over POPI and the usual hubbers taking stabs at each other. Usually I try to leave the discussion before this happens.

For what it's worth, to get back to the original topic. That section of trail has been closed in the past. I'm almost certain it's owned/leased by the University. A quick call by Mr Schutte to the Stellenbosch trail Fund would have provided him with all the clarity he required.

I have in fact done that exact thing when I arrived at a closed gate on that section (although my gate was the next gate on the way to Coetzenburg). STF knew exactly what was going and explained to me that they were going to move some game onto that piece of land. Just knowing what's going on really helps, because lets be honest, unexpected change is annoying. Even more so if that change affects something you enjoy. 

To the original poster, you would have been doing a much better service to the MTB community if you had called STF, asked them what's going on, and then relayed that message to Mr Schutte. By Posting things like this on Bikehub you are ironically not doing much better than Mr Schutte. What good can come of this?

For clarity sake...

depositphotos_7476799-stock-photo-wodden

Edited by RocknRolla

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To the original poster, you would have been doing a much better service to the MTB community if you had called STF, asked them what's going on, and then relayed that message to Mr Schutte. By Posting things like this on Bikehub you are ironically not doing much better than Mr Schutte. What good can come of this?

What good can come from this is that entitled people can learn that their behavior is not accepted by the greater community, and that their views aren't representative.

For what it's worth, to get back to the original topic. That section of trail has been closed in the past. I'm almost certain it's owned/leased by the University. A quick call by Mr Schutte to the Stellenbosch trail Fund would have provided him with all the clarity he required.

I have in fact done that exact thing when I arrived at a closed gate on that section (although my gate was the next gate on the way to Coetzenburg). STF knew exactly what was going and explained to me that they were going to move some game onto that piece of land. Just knowing what's going on really helps, because lets be honest, unexpected change is annoying. Even more so if that change affects something you enjoy. 

I have never ridden any of the Stellenbosch trails.  :wacko:

Every so often my business day ends in Stellenbosch, like it did yesterday.  I was not going to try an afternoon ride in mid 30-degrees ...  :whistling:   But I drove up to the start of G Spot, and did my homework for when I can ride here .....

THIS is what awaits you at the start (for the very many posters that knows as little about these trails as I do):

post-110956-0-58438100-1611647994_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-98493700-1611648011_thumb.jpg

These maps certainly answer a LOT of the questions in this thread.

Certainly ample contact details are provided ....

Edited by ChrisF

I have never ridden any of the Stellenbosch trails.  :wacko:

Every so often my business day ends in Stellenbosch, like it did yesterday.  I was not going to try an afternoon ride in mid 30-degrees ...  :whistling:   But I drove up to the start of G Spot, and did my homework for when I can ride here .....

THIS is what awaits you at the start (for the very many posters that knows as little about these trails as I do):

attachicon.gif20210125_131109.jpg

attachicon.gif20210125_131118.jpg

These maps certainly answer a LOT of the questions in this thread.

Certainly ample contact details are provided ....

In his defence, could be the complainant has never found the G-Spot...just saying...

What good can come from this is that entitled people can learn that their behavior is not accepted by the greater community, and that their views aren't representative.

I'm so tired of this entitlement argument. Do you honestly think us all discussing Mr Schutte here is helping him change his behavior in any way?

In his defence, could be the complainant has never found the G-Spot...just saying...

You owe me a keyboard ....  :whistling:

then again, I needed a GPS to find it .... :ph34r:

Edited by ChrisF

I'm so tired of this entitlement argument. Do you honestly think us all discussing Mr Schutte here is helping him change his behavior in any way?

Do you honestly think the majority of us care about that?

Speaking for myself, I'm here strictly for the larfs, and the occasional wind up of a random smurf.

Mr Who?

I'm stuck in a Project meeting, currently really boring IT stuff  is being discussed. This is killing time just fine, thank you very much.

Stooopid questions 101.

If there is a path traversing property that has been around for many years, when does it become a public access pathway? I know there was some thread about this on farm heading out towards the Cradle by MTB riders, but i cant find it now.

Mr Who?

I'm stuck in a Project meeting, currently really boring IT stuff  is being discussed. This is killing time just fine, thank you very much.

My bad. I had no intention of ruining your distraction. Not to worry though, if you really want to kill some time, just start a topic regarding anything related to Tygerberg trails.

Stooopid questions 101.

If there is a path traversing property that has been around for many years, when does it become a public access pathway? I know there was some thread about this on farm heading out towards the Cradle by MTB riders, but i cant find it now.

Yes there is some merit to that. I know with historical roads, you cannot prevent access. Like the case in langebaan where people built a gate over a road preventing access to the beach. The community won that. At macassar beach there is a road linking macassar to monwabisi. You allowed to drive there, one of extremely few beach roads you allowed on.

Also to note that Mark Gordon owns the property that gspot is on. He started those trails on his own, and allows people to ride there. He could of charged an entry fee, but didnt. 

Yes there is some merit to that. I know with historical roads, you cannot prevent access. Like the case in langebaan where people built a gate over a road preventing access to the beach. The community won that. At macassar beach there is a road linking macassar to monwabisi. You allowed to drive there, one of extremely few beach roads you allowed on.

Also to note that Mark Gordon owns the property that gspot is on. He started those trails on his own, and allows people to ride there. He could of charged an entry fee, but didnt.

Does he? I thought that was municipal ground?