Newbie looking for advice

Pj2106

Hi guys. I'm a newbie here. Looking to start riding to improve my health. I just recovered from Covid19. Anyways I've been looking at bikes for the last few days. I found out that cheapies from game and makro could cost me more in the long run as they are inferior quality. I've seen a few second hand bikes at a shop. Question is which one do I pick. The brands I've seen are wheeler

California

Silverback

All are 26er(my size) with aluminum frames. The 21 speed with Shimano gears. There's a few scratches on all, the California has a small crack on the gear handle. Its cosmetic only. The silverback has a rusty front derailia.

All are selling for r2500. I don't know which brand to pick

Welcome to the Hub.

Wishing well on the Covid recovery. Interesting thread about this on the Hub. A few lucky ones bounce back in a few days, most take longer to fully recover.

As for the bikes ...

Look for Titan or Silverback in the classifieds. Sadly bike prices, as well as second hand, have sky rocketed ...

Whichever you buy, please make sure of the size. Wrong size leads to all kinds of injuries ....

26" is small, typically aimed at people about 1,4m to 1,6m.

Actually, from about 1,5m 27,5" is popular.

26" is no longer the flavour of the month, with people jumping to 29".

This should help you to get a lower price ...

PS these dimensions are very rough approximations. Best to check the sizing chart for each bike. Manufacturer sizes differ

ChrisF often gives good advice, but this time don't listen to him. 26 inch bikes are not aimed at people from 1.4 to 1.6. You get frame sizes to fit ppl of all heights.

I do agree that 26 is out of flavour.

The Wheeler is really old, they pulled out of SA many years ago. Unless it's a special import, there is no Wheeler new enough to cost R2.5k.

I have never heard of Calfornia.

The Silverback would be the best.

It all depends on condition and bike size.

Welcome to the world of cycling and also good to hear that you are recovering from Covid and hope that you make a full recovery. It would be advisable to confirm exactly what size frame you will need to look at.  Your overall height is not the only parameter for deciding your frame size.  Innerleg length shoulder width is also important. I would suggest looking at.  I know for example Canyon bikes had a frame size calculator.  It would be good to see what is available.

26" you might get good deals and as said is not quite the flavour of the month.  Long term you might start getting problems get spares for the wheels.

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes I'm short. 1.65m. I will post pics once I find what I'm looking for. I do look forward to riding a bike again.

Im 1.68, ride a medium mountain bike and 54cm road bike.

All the best!

Firstly welcome to Bikehub. Cycling is simply amazing and it's a fantastic way to get out there in the world and put something back into your no-doubt depleted body.  :w00t:

Just one more thing about 26" wheels: this used to be the norm, until 27,5" wheels were invented which made everyone buy new bicycles. Same with 29" wheels. 

Larger wheels are good though: longer footprint, easier to roll over obstacles. But also heavier (more rim, more tyre). Many reckon that 27,5" wheels are the best compromise (but we all ride 29"  :whistling: )

It's possible to find pretty good spec old 26"-wheel bikes in the Classifieds (here on Bikehub) with reasonable good (if old) components (components are typically what drives up bicycle prices). 

How big is your budget, and remember you will need a little extra for helmet etc?

EDIT

Here's an example of an older but inexpensive bike: size Medium (which is what I'd imagine you'd need?) with reasonably good parts components. 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/448850/mongoose-meteore-for-sale 

... or in Small: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/451988/merida-tfs-500

Edited by tinmug

Your head must be spinning with all this sizing stuff by now ....  :whistling:

My earlier comment on sizing comes from our experience with a youngster now growing through these sizes.  His height, and bike sizes correlates well with this chart -

post-110956-0-47971300-1611644369_thumb.jpg

YES - these charts are but a broad guideline !!  

AND - different brands do have different sizing methods, causing significant overlaps ....  My Scott was a L, and suited me perfectly.  While my Giant is a M, and I am perfectly in the middle of their sizing.

Back to the TITAN chart .... this would suggest you are too tall for the current Titan 26" bikes (Titan Heydes 24-9er - our youngsters current bike).  BUT a Medium frame 26'' in another brand may well suit you ....

Jumping over to the 29" bikes .... This Scott chart would suggest you may just be on the short side for a 29" bike .... though some brands do have extra small framed 29" bikes. -

post-110956-0-98766000-1611644653_thumb.jpg

These charts comes from here - https://bike-addict.co.za/pages/bike-addict-size-guide

To summarize .... a larger 26" bike may well work for you.  A small or medium 27,5 bike may well fit the same, BUT provide the benefits of a slightly larger wheel on trails ....

The only real advise - DONT buy too small (irrespective of wheel size) .... seriously expensive school fees ...  :cursing:   

Been there, damn expensive T-shirt ....

Welcome to cycling, I want to talk you out of it because it's a financial mistake but I can't...

The pleasure in riding is second to none, you can drive the same road but when you cycle it you appreciate it's beauty. Regardless of where you are in SA there's always something pretty to look at (scenic view, the landscape is what I mean!!) 

So yes make sure of your size, when you get a list post it here. Lots of guys and girls know there stuff and are always willing to help. 

Your head must be spinning with all this sizing stuff by now ....  :whistling:

My earlier comment on sizing comes from our experience with a youngster now growing through these sizes.  His height, and bike sizes correlates well with this chart -

attachicon.gifTitan.jpg

YES - these charts are but a broad guideline !!  

AND - different brands do have different sizing methods, causing significant overlaps ....  My Scott was a L, and suited me perfectly.  While my Giant is a M, and I am perfectly in the middle of their sizing.

Back to the TITAN chart .... this would suggest you are too tall for the current Titan 26" bikes (Titan Heydes 24-9er - our youngsters current bike).  BUT a Medium frame 26'' in another brand may well suit you ....

Jumping over to the 29" bikes .... This Scott chart would suggest you may just be on the short side for a 29" bike .... though some brands do have extra small framed 29" bikes. -

attachicon.gifScott.jpg

These charts comes from here - https://bike-addict.co.za/pages/bike-addict-size-guide

To summarize .... a larger 26" bike may well work for you.  A small or medium 27,5 bike may well fit the same, BUT provide the benefits of a slightly larger wheel on trails ....

The only real advise - DONT buy too small (irrespective of wheel size) .... seriously expensive school fees ...  :cursing:   

Been there, damn expensive T-shirt ....

Sizing from the time 26" bikes were popular to now have not changed.

A medium frame then would still be a medium now.

You're giving really CR@P advice now. A larger frame would in no way be beneficial to PJ2106 now.

Hi guys. Thank you very much for all your advise. So the bike is a cannondale not canyon. Its a medium size frame. According to the salesman its my size. His got other brands and sizes as well, but he says this particular is the most suitable for me.

Edited by Pj2106

Hi guys. Thank you very much for all you're advise. So the bike is a cannondale not canyon. Its a medium size frame. According to the salesman its my size. His got other brands and sizes as well, but he says this particular is the most suitable for me.

Make sure to ride it and also ride a smaller frame in that same bike. 

At the end of the day the salesman gets his commission and you get a bike. Unlike his commission you have this bike for a very long time and it needs to fit like a glove.

Hi guys. So I pulled the trigger. I've got a scott bike in a small frame. I tried sitting on the medium frame and it was too big. The small frame is just right. Being a second hand bike I also got them to change the rear tyre, which they so kindly did not charge me for. I've also purchased a helmet, pump and bottle cage. Look forward to riding this evening.