Pre work out supplement if you can only exercise after a strenuous work day

RenaldoK

Have a good coffee and a banana around 4pm, that should help you out.

But if you really want to try a pre-workout, you do get stimulant free stuff so look at those. Might still mess with your sleep but won't be as bad as those loaded with caffeine and other stims.

This is similar to what i do .Coffee with something small to eat ,train 90min and have dinner .This has been my program for ten years .i am not good at training at 4am

Have a good coffee and a banana around 4pm, that should help you out.

But if you really want to try a pre-workout, you do get stimulant free stuff so look at those. Might still mess with your sleep but won't be as bad as those loaded with caffeine and other stims.

^^^ THIS.... experiment with or without the coffee as to how your body reacts to a stimulant late in the day. Knowing that you're going to ride @6pm, but chugging something at 1750 isn't that helpful - rather fuel up ahead of time so that when you do get on the bike, it doesn't suck from the 1st pedal stroke.

also, experiment without anything and see how that works. Fasted rides are a thing, and could be yours too. Listen to your body. It knows.

have a banana & peanutbutter smoothie to have around 4pm.  throw in a shot of espresso

it will ruin your appetite for dinner, but your training will be awesome

Fuel the workout. You just need carbs. 4pm snack suggestions in this thread are all good. I'd also do a bottle of your usual on-the-bike drink 1h before starting the workout if energy is your issue.

I hit the trainer at 17:00. 16:00 I’ll have a coffee, two bananas and a tablespoon of peanut butter. Holds me perfectly for the ride and until dinner at 19:30. Also helps to deal with consuming a smaller amount of food for dinner.

The other 99% is swinging a leg over the bike and getting ready to suffer hard.

Edited by DR ◣◢

Since having kids my early morning weekday rides have pretty much disappeared all together. Now, 90% of my training is late at night on the IDT and it is only once the kids have all gone to sleep so I have had dinner already and then anywhere between 19h00 and 21h00 I get onto the IDT. So for me my pre-workout supplement is dinner. On the weekends if I know I will be on the trainer for like 2 hours I have a cappuccino after dinner and when I hit the bed close to midnight I go straight to sleep. I am up again around 04h00 during the week as I also start work nice and early. In the beginning I struggled and was half asleep on the IDT and couldn't really get out of zone 2. Now I am used to it and actually prefer training at night.

I laughed when I saw this, this is exactly my current situation as well; having a 2 year old and 4 year old is not conductive to early morning training. When I did training for Comrades in 2019, a LOT of my runs were quite late at night often only starting at 22:00. It wasn't always due to the kids that lead to starting so late, a lot of the time it was procrastination and trying to motivate myself to go train after putting them  to bed. I have never really struggled with going to sleep after a late night workout, if anything it helps clear the mind and I dont roll around thinking about tomorrow's problems.

Hi everyone sorry for the slow reply, I set up my IDT yesterday evening and did a short 20 min workout to get a feel for it. From what I feel it seems just like the tank is a bit empty I’ll start by taking on some carbs ( natural) before leaving work and make further assessments from there. I plan 2 workout rides during the week and a long ride on weekends. On the remaining “recovery rides” I don’t see the necessity of additional fuelling

Since having kids my early morning weekday rides have pretty much disappeared all together. Now, 90% of my training is late at night on the IDT and it is only once the kids have all gone to sleep so I have had dinner already and then anywhere between 19h00 and 21h00 I get onto the IDT. So for me my pre-workout supplement is dinner. On the weekends if I know I will be on the trainer for like 2 hours I have a cappuccino after dinner and when I hit the bed close to midnight I go straight to sleep. I am up again around 04h00 during the week as I also start work nice and early. In the beginning I struggled and was half asleep on the IDT and couldn't really get out of zone 2. Now I am used to it and actually prefer training at night.

You work too hard.

The original. obviously.

Ypu mean the one they banned because it contained what is basically metamephatamines ????

Already having a 4am start to my day, the only time I have available to train is at 6pm when I get home. The problem with this is that I am quite strained an depleted at that time. What pre-workout would you suggest to have on the way home to ease the burden?

If you are eating normally and reasonably healthy during the course of the day you don't need anything to supplement on or eat / drink to "ease" the burden.

It sounds more like a mental block or mind game issue (HTFU) :whistling: ...been there and got the t-shirts

Try and set yourself a goal and a training plan to follow, when you get home don't dawdle around, just get on with it. If you ride on an IDT, set up a TV so you can watch some good flicks, even if you don't feel like training having a nice movie or series to watch will motivate you to get on the IDT. Once you start it all falls into place and becomes easy.

Have your supper afterwards, eating later after training wont kill you (if it did, i would not be here now lecturing you), often i finish training at +/- 9 pm, shower, eat watch tv for 30 minutes and then fall asleep no problem. The harder i train the easier it is to fall asleep, especially after feeding yourself...

#groundhogday