The great HRV thread

The Ouzo

I still don’t understand it, but daily I am between 45 and 70 which I think is good. When I have a strenuous workout I hit around 150ms, but then it drops during the day.

post-59224-0-78404000-1611738539_thumb.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should definitely look at that reading, you should easily get above 150bpm

Are you using the apple watch for HR?

I did a 40min IDT session last night, according to my Garmin watch my Max HR was 160bpm.

HR Strap shows 181bpm.

I'll track tonight using the Tickr with Kickr feeding into strava via sufferfest

And Apple Watch recording an indoor ride into strava

See how it compares. All previous tests showed the Apple watch to be very close to the Tickr when working out.

The lower your HRV the more stress is on the body. Dont think about that stess as only what you do in training. There are plenty of other stresses it acounts for psychologic stess, digestive stress and so on. Each persons HRV is unique to him and you cant really compare numbers with other people. 28 days of measurements will be a good starting point to see what trend are forming with your training.

I used to commute last year, this year I changed companies and I'm 2km from home, not even worth getting the bike out for that. But what it does allow me to do is ride a few times a week before work. (is doesnt show for this week as I've made the decision to take a few days off the bike)

Waaaaay of topic here, and you might know this already, but here goes:

The battery in your car will not like such a short distance to work, it has no time to recharge. Consider getting a battery trickle charger(CTEK is excellent but expensive) to keep it healthy. Else you will be replacing the battery regularly.

Sorry for that. Back on topic:

Thanks for starting this thread, I need plenty practical advice on this HRV stuff.

Edited by Vetplant

Don't focus too much on the actual value. 

Take regular readings at the same time, doing the same thing, and then see what it does.

from the Elite website again ( I use them a lot, as they do clinical studies and are not just another app developer pushing for a sale)

It's a monitoring tool IN ADDITION to subjective observations. ( all the info and experiences that will be shared on thsi thread will be purely anecdotal, unless participants partake in clinical studies.

Research is quite new, and as more info is gathered, more breakthroughs and guidelines will appear. 

In cycling training, there is very little research on using the app as a training tool. 

Waaaaay of topic here, and you might know this already, but here goes:

The battery in your car will not like such a short distance to work, it has no time to recharge. Consider getting a battery trickle charger(CTEK is excellent but expensive) to keep it healthy. Else you will be replacing the battery regularly.

Sorry for that. Back on topic:

Thanks for starting this thread, I need plenty practical advice on this HRV stuff.

no worries

on MY car there is a trickle charger as it does less km per year than my bicycle, the company car on the other hand is a demo and gets test driven daily so should be ok.

I still don’t understand it, but daily I am between 45 and 70 which I think is good. When I have a strenuous workout I hit around 150ms, but then it drops during the day.

like others have said dont worry about the data during the day, either let your device take its reading through the night, or take a once off reading first thing in the morning when you wake up.

The most important thing is to be consistent, so if you're using morning reading make sure you stick to morning reading and keep the routine before the reading the same.

They recommend waking up, and take a readin right away, but I get up and go sit on the loo (the stress of a full bladder )

WARNING : I so ignorant that I don't even know which questions to ask.

I know there are things like Whoop that does this, but how does one get an entry level set-up ?

To do this HRV stuff, presumably you need some hardware to monitor HR.  What hardware does this ? Can I use my Garmin Edge ? If not, what is the minimum I need?

Presumably there is also some software that analyses the data. What is the best way of getting started ?

I know there are things like Whoop that does this, but how does one get an entry level set-up ?

To do this HRV stuff, presumably you need some hardware to monitor HR.  What hardware does this ? Can I use my Garmin Edge ? If not, what is the minimum I need?

Presumably there is also some software that analyses the data. What is the best way of getting started ?

https://www.imore.com/best-apps-tracking-your-hrv-heart-rate-variability

To do this HRV stuff, presumably you need some hardware to monitor HR. What hardware does this ? Can I use my Garmin Edge ? If not, what is the minimum I need?

As a start, I pulled out an old Samsung Galaxy S4 from the cupboard. It has ANT+ natively. I searched for an app on its playstore using HRV and Ant+, Selfloops was ranked first. I connected my Garmin HRM and presto, it works.

I will use Intervals.icu to track my readings over time.

post-27827-0-01000500-1611741283_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vetplant

Bluetooth enabled HR monitor. I am using iphone with Tickr HRM device.

Edited by RocknRolla

I'll track tonight using the Tickr with Kickr feeding into strava via sufferfest

And Apple Watch recording an indoor ride into strava

See how it compares. All previous tests showed the Apple watch to be very close to the Tickr when working out.

Do you stick to the recommended cadence?

Do "The Shovel" tonight..if you can stay under 150bpm...  :eek:

Do you stick to the recommended cadence?

Do "The Shovel" tonight..if you can stay under 150bpm...  :eek:

I'm normally 5+/- from the recommended cadence. 

The Shovel also scares me haha. Will give it a shot and see. I need to see why my ceiling is so low. 

On the trail I vary cadence a LOT while I ride. Sprints, spins, power climbs etc. 

you dont even need a specific device.

I'm using the camera on my phone and an app on the phone.

I've been using the camera on the phone to measure resting HR for a number of years now. Have checked the accuracy against my dedicated HRM at it was within a beat or 2 out every time. 

For interest sake, and hopefully to assist others in the thread. 

Below, the last months HRV. Taken in the morning, within 30mins of waking.

One can clearly see as my training load increases (probably some work stress added in there) my "readiness" decreases. This can be interpreted as training fatigue. 

post-24416-0-40556200-1611743498_thumb.png

Equally interesting (for me) is my resting HR (taken during my morning reading by the app)

You will see, september to December, I was experiencing extreme stress (Dealing with depression as well as a very unruly teenager) This is quite evident on the graph.

post-24416-0-06981400-1611743916_thumb.png

Looking at HRV over the year, however indicates that in general, it's pretty consistent, I assume, that if there was a major decline in my health, or some other problem, this would indicate a downward trend.

post-24416-0-66366000-1611744126_thumb.png

no worries

on MY car there is a trickle charger as it does less km per year than my bicycle, the company car on the other hand is a demo and gets test driven daily so should be ok.

I seriously hope at some stage they give you a type R to use. My neighbor works for BMW and most of the time he brings home an X5 but every now and then he has something a bit wilder.