The great HRV thread

The Ouzo

As a start, I pulled out an old Samsung Galaxy S4 from the cupboard. It has ANT+ natively. I searched for an app on its playstore using HRV and Ant+, Selfloops was ranked first. I connected my Garmin HRM and presto, it works.

I will use Intervals.icu to track my readings over time.

Bluetooth enabled HR monitor. I am using iphone with Tickr HRM device.

Do then wear the HR strap all day, linked to the app? 

Bluetooth enabled HR monitor. I am using iphone with Tickr HRM device.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, as I understand the process:

You take a 3min-5min reading in the morning, before you do anything else. This determines your body's inherent stress level before external factors like coffee and work emails start stressing you out.

You log this value over an extended period of days.

This then allows you to see the bigger trend in your health.

PS. Nothing prevents you from doing a status check on your HRV after your boss and/or Wife screams at you for something you did/didn't do... But I doubt this will be of much value...

Vetplant said it.

HRV test in the morning. every day for as long as you see value in using it. 

Consistency is key here, you need to make sure you take the test with as much "normality" as you can. 

Then the variations on your are significant, compared to your baseline. 

Edited by RocknRolla

Nope, as I understand the process:

You take a 3min-5min reading in the morning, before you do anything else. This determines your body's inherent stress level before external factors like coffee and work emails start stressing you out.

But I'm not a morning person. My alarm going off in the morning stresses me out  :P

@Ouzo,

Irrespective of what the app says, or not, you need to make sure that the data that influences your fatigue are not overdone, i.e. nutrition, hydration, heat, over training or over doing it.

If you look at your fatigue line on the Intervals.icu screenshot, your fatigue ramped up higher than before. Add some warm weather after 09:00 and some under hydration/nutrition on your side, and you end up more fatigued than you think. If you aren’t used to doing it often, then the spike you see is another ding in the fatigue side.

As Shaper has said, the more data you have the better it will become at giving you reliable info.

Oh, and lastly, what was your fatigue number before the 17th ride and then on the day, compared to now? Check your ramp rate number too.

Edited by Frosty

I just want to vouch again for intervals.icu as a tool to keep track of all your metrics.

You can now also manually track allot of Wellness aspects and create your own plots to track any item over time, including HRV

post-27827-0-78147300-1611813103_thumb.png

@Ouzo,

Irrespective of what the app says, or not, you need to make sure that the data that influences your fatigue are not overdone, i.e. nutrition, hydration, heat, over training or over doing it.

If you look at your fatigue line on the Intervals.icu screenshot, your fatigue ramped up higher than before. Add some warm weather after 09:00 and some under hydration/nutrition on your side, and you end up more fatigued than you think. If you aren’t used to doing it often, then the spike you see is another ding in the fatigue side.

As Shaper has said, the more data you have the better it will become at giving you reliable info.

Oh, and lastly, what was your fatigue number before the 17th ride and then on the day, compared to now? Check your ramp rate number too.

most likely a combination of all the above, nutrition, hydration, we were done before 9 but it was ahot day, and just plain over doing it. and lack of sleep.

On the 15th my fatigue was 34, 16th I did a quick burst for just short of an hour, fatigue went up to 36, after the ride on 17th it spiked to 58. I have not ridden this week and its dropped to 34 from a 48 on sunday.

most likely a combination of all the above, nutrition, hydration, we were done before 9 but it was ahot day, and just plain over doing it. and lack of sleep.

On the 15th my fatigue was 34, 16th I did a quick burst for just short of an hour, fatigue went up to 36, after the ride on 17th it spiked to 58. I have not ridden this week and its dropped to 34 from a 48 on sunday.

Ramping up too quickly can take a lot out of you, especially if you aren’t used to it. ActiveRecovery rides also helps, and is better than doing nothing. Next time try riding in easy gears for an hour or so, twice in the week following a big workout. Guaranteed to feel better come the next harder ride.

Last Saturday we did 140Km, on a relatively easy route. A few of us were broken after the ride, probably due to the heat and some other factors. Will see how this weekend’s LSD rides go.

Ramping up too quickly can take a lot out of you, especially if you aren’t used to it. ActiveRecovery rides also helps, and is better than doing nothing. Next time try riding in easy gears for an hour or so, twice in the week following a big workout. Guaranteed to feel better come the next harder ride.

Last Saturday we did 140Km, on a relatively easy route. A few of us were broken after the ride, probably due to the heat and some other factors. Will see how this weekend’s LSD rides go.

I did 3 easy-ish rides during the week after the 17th. Maybe not easy enough though. One of the big problems I have with myself, out on the road by myself I find it difficult to go easy.

@Ouzo,

You want data, I geek data and have been logging HRV data since 2018  :)  

Not only rely on what the app says, but also historically I know how my body reacts to stress/fatigue/life etc....

Add in with how feeling on the day and my motivation and goal, then can better plan/do a workout or ultimately a race.

post-33015-0-95146800-1611818053_thumb.png

I did 3 easy-ish rides during the week after the 17th. Maybe not easy enough though. One of the big problems I have with myself, out on the road by myself I find it difficult to go easy.

Put it in an easy gear and spin the legs; don’t be tempted to shift to bigger gears, even on the downhills, rather soft pedal or freewheel. That works for me. It feels like a waste, but it certainly works.

You want data, I geek data and have been logging HRV data since 2018  :)  

Not only rely on what the app says, but also historically I know how my body reacts to stress/fatigue/life etc....

Add in with how feeling on the day and my motivation and goal, then can better plan/do a workout or ultimately a race.

Wow.

That is pretty cool.

Do you have to enter it manually?  Where in GC do you add this?  And what app do you use to measure in the morning?

Sorry for the 21 questions..........

Wow.

That is pretty cool.

Do you have to enter it manually?  Where in GC do you add this?  And what app do you use to measure in the morning?

Sorry for the 21 questions..........

The chart I created myself for the info I required. Choose what curves you want to show.  However there are a few HRV charts that you can download from the cloud which have been published by others in GC.

I use HRV4Training app

Then export the data recorded on the app as a CSV file, can be either sent via email or to dropbox via the HRV4T app

In GC, Click Share/Get Measurement/HRV/Import CSV file, data will then be automatically imported into GC and then to your created/downloaded chart. 

As an overview - I import usually on a Monday, to see how body is reacting after weekend long rides/runs/swims and then again on the Friday to see how the week workouts went, so can have an idea before the weekend.  This then generally gives me an overview of how my training is going as well as looking at the trend lines as to whether potentially over training or getting ill and need to consider a boost to the immune system or train less hard. This is also looked at in conjunction with other charts and how am performing to build the bigger picture.

Otherwise I just read what the daily prediction is from the app, add in how am feeling, how motivated I am and also where am in my training block, then can if needs be adjust the workout for that day or the next few days.

It's why we geek out on GC  ;)  :P

Edited by shaper