The great HRV thread

The Ouzo

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had two sympathetic yellow readings this past two days. 

After a big effort on Saturday, the whole day work, and high stress. I decided to go and ride yesterday in any event. Felt really underpowered. (But according to my stats, this has been a big training week, after some steady intensity increase over the last 3 weeks)

I took it realy easy on the ride, and probably should'nt have ridden 3+ hours, but it was sunday, I have a crap week ahead, and it was more important to be out on the bike mentally than to worry about silly things like one's body...

After the ride, went to work, and when I got home, I slept on the couch for 2 hours. I felt trashed the whole day. Slept really ***, and woke up to another yellow sympathetic this morning. Felt like cow poop under a wagon wheel till about 11am today.

Will see what tomorrow brings.

So far, the app and it's readings has been helpful in terms of being able to train in parasympathetic state (which should enable over reaching, growing one's fitness) and after this weekend, I found out what the effects are of training longer and harder than an active recovery as the app suggests.

(Just a bit of real world anecdotal evidence...)

I have had two sympathetic yellow readings this past two days.

After a big effort on Saturday, the whole day work, and high stress. I decided to go and ride yesterday in any event. Felt really underpowered. (But according to my stats, this has been a big training week, after some steady intensity increase over the last 3 weeks)

I took it realy easy on the ride, and probably should'nt have ridden 3+ hours, but it was sunday, I have a crap week ahead, and it was more important to be out on the bike mentally than to worry about silly things like one's body...

After the ride, went to work, and when I got home, I slept on the couch for 2 hours. I felt trashed the whole day. Slept really ***, and woke up to another yellow sympathetic this morning. Felt like cow poop under a wagon wheel till about 11am today.

Will see what tomorrow brings.

So far, the app and it's readings has been helpful in terms of being able to train in parasympathetic state (which should enable over reaching, growing one's fitness) and after this weekend, I found out what the effects are of training longer and harder than an active recovery as the app suggests.

(Just a bit of real world anecdotal evidence...)

Also had a yellow on Saturday.

Thursday I had a really intense ride. Down on power and fitness compared to normal but I pushed all out. Haven’t coughed like that after a ride in a really long time.

Rest day Friday, didn’t sleep properly Friday night and woke up Saturday to a higher than normal HRV but it was yellow. App told me to go slow. Which I did. 10 minutes slower over my normal 27 course.

Felt ok Saturday and after work worked my butt off at home cutting lawn and cleaning.

A good sleep Saturday night and woke up to a green on Sunday.

So whilst I can’t interpret the data, the app does help to tell me what the body is doing.

Oh and I stopped using the Sleep Cycle app, without paying the R500 there is no way to determine if it’s me or the wife thats awake at night.

• 3 weeks later...

Took a medium paced ride yesterday, felt great during the day. But yesterday when I got home I was irritable and as the evening progressed I just felt otherwise. Cant explain what I felt, I just was not right. Had a restless sleep (which is not unusual for me), but this morning my HRV took a dive and the app advised to take it easy. 

Fridays are rest days anyway as I need to be at work at 7am, so will take it easy, if things are not right tomorrow morning I'll just stay off the bike as I'm planning to do my 109-for-109 on sunday.

got my first RED reading this morning. HRV below normal values and subjective scores are negative.

dd4fc95461eb21f852f5e4ce08143d52.jpg

Need to get back to my August/September numbers! January was looking good but I’ve had an unhealthy Feb and March!

• 2 months later...

Last week I only did 2 short easy rides, I've taken some time off the bike. a) because I'm lazy b) my body was telling me to c) the cold snap.

In conjunction with this the last 3 nights have been the best sleeps I've had in a long time.

The result of this, HRV has climbed steadily to above normal values and resting HR has dropped steadily by 5-7bpm.

The plan is to setup the IDT tonight and start riding on it in the mornings until the worst of the cold has passed, so will keep monitoring.

• 4 weeks later...

So I tested positive on a rapid covid test, but after phoning my doc he advised that a lot of those come back positive but when you go to a lab its actually negative. So I went to a lab and got tested. Still waiting for my results.

Up until this morning I was not to concerned, based on my HRV measurements every morning my body was normal, but this morning HRV was below normal values and HR was about 10 BPM higher, my body is not happy with something.

It could be COVID, it could just be the stress of waiting for the results, I feel fine, only have a slight nasal drip which is perfectly inline with what I was expecting after my weekend activities.

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

So I tested positive on a rapid covid test, but after phoning my doc he advised that a lot of those come back positive but when you go to a lab its actually negative. So I went to a lab and got tested. Still waiting for my results.

Up until this morning I was not to concerned, based on my HRV measurements every morning my body was normal, but this morning HRV was below normal values and HR was about 10 BPM higher, my body is not happy with something.

It could be COVID, it could just be the stress of waiting for the results, I feel fine, only have a slight nasal drip which is perfectly inline with what I was expecting after my weekend activities.

Here a real life monitoring of HRV, having had Covid myself at the end of May 2021 and recovered from it.  I have highlighted in the red oval, my HRV recovery point spiked before dropping to its lowest reading in the last 3 months whilst suffering with a fever for 2 days.  After the 2 day fever broke it was like recovering from a heavy flu until around day 10.  You will also see my Resting rMSSD dropped drastically and only from the 4 June 2021 did my HRV start to recover and the rMSSD thereafter.  You can also see my Resting HR rising just before and then starting to slowly return to normality as the recovery took place.

Screenshot 2021-06-24 13.31.09.png

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

Sorry to hear and hope that it was a false positive. 

So this morning HRV was slightly higher than normal but rest HR was back where it should be.

• 2 months later...

I guess this is only slightly on topic,  But this is from my wife's spinning session this morning .

Her max heart rate from the last 4 sessions was 204, 199, 198 & 197bpm

Her Garmin recommends 19 hrs of recovery which is  based on her HRV, so no stress there.

And no I am not married to a 13 year old  (as the 220-age nonsense would suggest)

KAT-20210917.jpg

30 minutes ago, The Guy in Pink said:

I guess this is only slightly on topic,  But this is from my wife's spinning session this morning .

Her max heart rate from the last 4 sessions was 204, 199, 198 & 197bpm

Her Garmin recommends 19 hrs of recovery which is  based on her HRV, so no stress there.

And no I am not married to a 13 year old  (as the 220-age nonsense would suggest)

KAT-20210917.jpg

I'm 35. I did an interval running session on Wednesday(no underlying illness), where I hit 193BPM. I wasn't about to fall over either.

I have hit 197bpm in the past couple of years during things like 947 etc.

Everyone's heart is different, just make sure you know what your "normal" is.

Threshold session at 175bpm for me is comfortably hard. Whereas for someone else my age, that would be dangerous.

16 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

I'm 35. I did an interval running session on Wednesday(no underlying illness), where I hit 193BPM. I wasn't about to fall over either.

I have hit 197bpm in the past couple of years during things like 947 etc.

Everyone's heart is different, just make sure you know what your "normal" is.

Threshold session at 175bpm for me is comfortably hard. Whereas for someone else my age, that would be dangerous.

My wife is another 30 years older than you, and yes everyone's max is different. By those of us that have trained hard and often throughout our lives will maintain a high maximum heart rate - you use it or you lose it.