Need help with a bike rack for beetle

Daniel Silva

Hi guys.

I need some help/ some ideas about a bike rack or the best way to transport my bike. My dad and I recently rebuilt a beetle and made it into a Baja big for my first car, but now the problem is I have no idea how to mount a bike rack anywhere or what would be the best way to transport it.

Any ideas or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Cheers

You'll need to do it via the roof rack, otherwise i can imagine SeaSucker might have something...

But roof luggage racks are pretty retro and suit the beetle aesthetic.

You'll need to do it via the roof rack, otherwise i can imagine SeaSucker might have something...

We have got a cage around the engine like on the beach buggy’s but I can imagine putting a bike rack on the cage would work as the exhausts would melt the tires.

Especially if you put some Hella spotlights on the front of the rack. It'll look very Baja

Side mount? (Half joking)

2 removable arms from underneath the door/chassis, attach to the usual looking roof mount unit (Thule freeride type thing). You and the old man sound pretty handy.

Beetle is small enough to navigate traffic lane widths with a bike riding alongside surely...

I reckon a roof rack will be best.

But:

Since you made a Baja bug, that I assume has a cage around the engine, why not add a tow ball to the cage? Then you hook a regular bike rack onto the ball.

Or better yet, fabricate a bike rack to attach on top/on the back of said cage. Just keep the exhaust gasses in mind. You don't want to burn your wheels.

Please post pics. I remember our beach buggy fondly, learned to drive in it, and a part of me wish my dad never sold it.

Plate on top of the engine cage (above the number plate) with a tow ball. Get a Thule rack and your aunt is married to bob.

( I have a thule rack for tow mount that Ill let go for cheap) 

Plate on top of the engine cage (above the number plate) with a tow ball. Get a Thule rack and your aunt is married to bob.

( I have a thule rack for tow mount that Ill let go for cheap)

No man. It would be like pissing on a Picasso in broad daylight.

Those exhausts are high ....

The bottom of the wheels needs to be higher than thos exhausts ....

I would make a towbar attachment above the number plate ....