Saris Bones Carrier Compatibility

Chingy182

I recently bought myself the SARIS Bones EX 3-bike carrier.

Unfortunately, neither of our dual sus bikes' frames are compatible with the carrier and it looks like I need to buy the Bike Adapters as well now  :oops:

Now, it doesn't seem like there is stock anywhere in SA, but Cycle Lab have a decent price on the THULE ladies bike adapter.

Any insight if these would be compatible with one another?

Common sense would say these Adapters are much of a muchness in terms of difference and should therefor work either way...

Also don't want to dig myself further into a hole.

Unfortunately, neither of our dual sus bikes' frames are compatible with the carrier and it looks like I need to buy the Bike Adapters as well now  :oops:

Now, it doesn't seem like there is stock anywhere in SA, but Cycle Lab have a decent price on the THULE ladies bike adapter.

Common sense would say these Adapters are much of a muchness in terms of difference and should therefor work either way...

Thanks for your support and the purchase of a Saris Bones 3 EX bike rack, i am sure you will enjoy the rack!

When it comes to ladies bikes or dual bus MTB's the use of a BikeBeam is strongly recommended, we are unfortunately sold out of these items are the boom in cycling and December peak season running stock down quicker than expected.

Any BikeBeam alternative will work fine, Thule offer something as do some of the local brands, they will all be compatible with the Saris Bones 3 EX. 

I know hindsight is a perfect science.

Best rack for me is one or any of the Thule Platform racks which dont rely of bars, or frames to hold bikes.

The bike sits on its wheels.

If you ever do get rid of the SARIS which imho is an awesome rack perhaps look at the Thule Platform racks.

for info I use the Thule Velocompact which we transport 4 bikes on.

Edited by rorydewet

Any BikeBeam alternative will work fine, Thule offer something as do some of the local brands, they will all be compatible with the Saris Bones 3 EX. 

Thank you for the response and the feedback.

The Bike rack does look great though

I know hindsight is a perfect science.

Best rack for me is one or any of the Thule Platform racks which dont rely of bars, or frames to hold bikes.

The bike sits on its wheels.

If you ever do get rid of the SARIS which imho is an awesome rack perhaps look at the Thule Platform racks.

for info I use the Thule Velocompact which we transport 4 bikes on.

That is the dream.

Unfortunately, my car doesn't have a towbar...

I have considered running the cost of having 1 installed, but FLIP, it's not cheap.

That is the dream.

Unfortunately, my car doesn't have a towbar...

I have considered running the cost of having 1 installed, but FLIP, it's not cheap.

A set of Thule roof racks cost a pretty penny !!

BUT, for the next vehicle you only buy a new "foot pack".  From the second vehicle this option really starts saving money, compared to the others......

for those of us that do need a towbar, well .... uhm ja .... then the platform racks makes more sense.

Last Saturday the parking lot at Bloemendal was BUSY !!  Was very interesting to see the split between:

- Saris type racks .... with so many of the new smaller cars not being towbar compatible, there are more and more of these racks.

- towbar mounted racks

- roof racks

- bikes transported inside vehicles

post-110956-0-31223700-1611844218_thumb.jpg

Clearly a market for each of these ..... 

Nice carrier. I have a hatchback and I have on mine the Saris Bones 2. This new EX one works even better with spoilers on top so it looks awesome. My dual sus just fits on the 1st attachment point but not the 2nd- I got a bike bar for this purpose and it works well and does the job creating an artificial temporary str8 top tube- any of them will work whether Saris or the buzz rack one from Sportsmans' or the used Thule one I have which I luckily picked up for a bargain on Bike Hub.

A set of Thule roof racks cost a pretty penny !!

BUT, for the next vehicle you only buy a new "foot pack".  From the second vehicle this option really starts saving money, compared to the others......

for those of us that do need a towbar, well .... uhm ja .... then the platform racks makes more sense.

Last Saturday the parking lot at Bloemendal was BUSY !!  Was very interesting to see the split between:

- Saris type racks .... with so many of the new smaller cars not being towbar compatible, there are more and more of these racks.

- towbar mounted racks

- roof racks

- bikes transported inside vehicles

attachicon.gifracks.jpg

Clearly a market for each of these ..... 

Roof racks have also crossed my mind, but as you mention, NOT cheap either.

Also a lot of compatibility issues with cars that already have side bars, etc, etc.

Thing I don't like about bike racks hanging off your boot is that they really do a number on my boot central locking mechanism when it is really windy.

Roof racks have also crossed my mind, but as you mention, NOT cheap either.

Also a lot of compatibility issues with cars that already have side bars, etc, etc.

Thing I don't like about bike racks hanging off your boot is that they really do a number on my boot central locking mechanism when it is really windy.

Couple friends had damage to their cars from these types of racks .... granted this was 2 or 3 years ago.

NOT sure to what extent Saris manage to stop chaving marks, scratches from strap-brackets, dents, etc ....

As per my previous post ... so many cars can no longer fit towbars, so these types of racks will be used more and more ....

Couple friends had damage to their cars from these types of racks .... granted this was 2 or 3 years ago.

NOT sure to what extent Saris manage to stop chaving marks, scratches from strap-brackets, dents, etc ....

As per my previous post ... so many cars can no longer fit towbars, so these types of racks will be used more and more ....

I used a Saris Bones 3 on my Boxster for a few years and it took my MTB to Piket-bo-Berg as well as other bikes to other races with no damage. I made sure to stick duct tape on the body under the straps though. Highly recommend doing that - get duct tape to match the car so it's less noticeable if you care about those things.

But I did make sure my next car had a towbar (retractable, nogal) and now enjoy a Thule platform rack far more.