Waking up

TNT1

I'm not sure where to post this, but it's training related.

I get up at 4:15 to be out the door at like 4:50 in order to meet the training group at the BP in time (well, actually 4:14 as I can't handle that odd number in setting my alarm, like the volume on the TV must always be an even number, I digress...) and the alarm going off is waking up the Chinese and causing a bit of disharmony in the home.

What way is there to be woken up without an alarm going off? I tried the vibrate on the smart watch thing, but I get irritated with the watch during the night and take it off in my sleep.

What other options are there?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get up at 4:15 to be out the door at like 4:50 in order to meet the training group at the BP in time (well, actually 4:14 as I can't handle that odd number in setting my alarm, like the volume on the TV must always be an even number, I digress...) and the alarm going off is waking up the Chinese and causing a bit of disharmony in the home.

What way is there to be woken up without an alarm going off? I tried the vibrate on the smart watch thing, but I get irritated with the watch during the night and take it off in my sleep.

I cant quite recall the name but there was an alarm app that had a gentle ramp up in vibration to wake you. The idea was that you put your phone under your pillow and it starts vibrating gently but increases the longer the alarm goes.

Normally I would suggest using a watch for waking you up with vibration but you already ruled that one out.

I cant quite recall the name but there was an alarm app that had a gentle ramp up in vibration to wake you. The idea was that you put your phone under your pillow and it starts vibrating gently but increases the longer the alarm goes.

Normally I would suggest using a watch for waking you up with vibration but you already ruled that one out.

I'll look for that app.

Earplugs for the other party

Apparently I snore, which necessitates the earplugs. So alarm is not problem. But on the flipside, I normally wait the last 2 minutes for the alarm to go off. This morning was exception. Killed the alarm, only woke up an hour later...

I used to get up at 4:30 and after not too it became routine for my body, so I could set my alarm to the tiniest quietest setting and it was enough to wake me up. Often I would wake up a min or two before the alarm anyway. 

This obviously isn't happening to you so I'm not sure why I wrote it. Sorry, no, nothing to suggest...

Not sure I like the idea of my phone being close to my brain for a solid 8 hours..I know the science of still murky.... But I would avoid it personally.. Even having it on my bedside table isn't ideal

Not sure I like the idea of my phone being close to my brain for a solid 8 hours..I know the science of still murky.... But I would avoid it personally.. Even having it on my bedside table isn't ideal

I have often wondered about that. I know most guys have their phones in their pocket all day, which is very close to bits that you dont want to radiate.

Hahahahahahah - I thought I was the only mal bliksem with that challenge :clap:  :clap:  :w00t:  :w00t:

I stopped early morning training because getting up that early just sucks. My day drags, my works suffers and I fall asleep on the couch before supper time. 

Training (in the week) is now done exclusively after work, but even that ain't easy. Weekend rides, however, are more bearable since the group is larger, so you're not the only one dragging your bum out of bed. 

But I do/did use the Garmin vibrating alarm. It's annoying but effective. 

Earplugs for the other party

Apparently I snore, which necessitates the earplugs. So alarm is not problem. But on the flipside, I normally wait the last 2 minutes for the alarm to go off. This morning was exception. Killed the alarm, only woke up an hour later...

If you have to snooze the alarm you're not ready to train. I've learnt to listen to my body, and even though I might not like the message it sends me, it pays off to (listen).

Garmin on the arm on "silent" vibrating alarm.

This.

Had the same issue with the wife complaining about my alarm, so now I have 2 alarms set on my watch 5 mins apart, just in case.