Squirt Lube

Peron

Having used Squirt lube for the last 4 years, I’ve noticed recently that my drivetrain seems to become dirtier than normal.

Cleaning the cassette, chain and chainring has become a messy affair, as there is now a waxy residue left behind.

Has anyone else noticed this? Has the formula changed maybe?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having used Squirt lube for the last 4 years, I’ve noticed recently that my drivetrain seems to become dirtier than normal.

Cleaning the cassette, chain and chainring has become a messy affair, as there is now a waxy residue left behind.

I have not used Squirt before, always used other products. But for the last 800km I have been using squirt and I can confirm a very dirty drivetrain compared to the other products I used. 

Also more difficult to clean off than the other products.

I have not used Squirt before, always used other products. But for the last 800km I have been using squirt and I can confirm a very dirty drivetrain compared to the other products I used.

Can confirm I have had the same issue as above.

Any alternatives?

I haven't observed a change from before but agree it gets the drivetrain dirty quickly.  Still a great lube.

If you are the type that keeps adding more lube to a dirty chain and the drivetrain is only cleaned by the shop every time the bike is serviced - Squirt is the way to go.  Maybe try to wipe the chain off with a cloth before adding lube now and again.  Baby steps.  Squirt does the job even if it isn't pretty.

If you are an obsessive degreaser like me you should look elsewhere.  I clean the drivetrain properly after every long ride, which usually means once a week.  I like my chain/cassette shiny and QUIET.  Currently using Smoove which is well-suited to this type of abuse.  I suspect there are some fancy lubes that would work even better.

I think I have a Squirt sample in my garage, maybe I should use it at some point?

I use Smoove and it works for me.

Also got a sample of Squirt ... tried it a while back ....

No thanks.

Staying with Smoove

Funny that

I bought Smoove once and then went back to Squirt ............ in an ideal world though I would be buying Purple Extreme, if only I could find it in SA again

61O7AG7TsnL._SX425_.jpg

Edited by Hairy

Also not a fan of squirt. I am a big fan of Pedros Ice Wax (it's lube, not a wax) - I findmy drivetrain stays quiet for much longer and doesn't get as dirty as with Squirt or Smoove. BikeMob used to bring it in, stopped a while back and had a clearance sale where I picked up 5 bottles at R30 each. I am down to my last bottle now, don't know where I am gonna find it when it runs out...

Do you guys deliberate over lube this much at Adult World or do you just grab, pay and go......?

#justarandomthoughtthatpoppedintomyhead

Don't all rush to answer now

I've got all weekend to gather the data

If you need that type of lube, you're not doing it right ;)

Agree 100%

Ive been using Squirt for some time now and recently discovered a real grunged up jockey wheel and some other unseen areas that get overlooked in the normal wash.

I’ve stepped away from Squirt (and Smoove) recently, and after much reading up on the topic, recycled an empty water-flavouring mini-bottle, and mixed 70% 10W50 engine oil with 30% chain-saw oil ( have both in my garage), and for about R1.00 per bottle, it is very good indeed...

my bad, checked now, it’s actually Smoove that I’m using.