Squirt Lube

Peron

I ride plenty, have been using Squirt for +/-10 years as my go-to lube for all conditions. No complaints once you know how to apply it. But must agree with a few posts here, that something has changed with the formulation of recent: it gunges up terribly. I bought a 500 ml bottle about 2 months ago; since this bottle, it clogs up like never before. C'mon Mr Squirt: hope you're reading this, tell us what's changed, this is going to cost you loyal old customers. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have learnt something from all these posts, and I might be horribly wrong, but I only lube once a week, and that's me and my wife's bike, 60 to 80km per week. Yesterday was also the first time I ever decreased our chains, cassette, jockeys. Don't think I'm up for that once a week. Maybe once a month.

Maybe a slightly dry chain versus over lubed is better, I don't know....but some valuable comments here none the less.

I think I have learnt something from all these posts, and I might be horribly wrong, but I only lube once a week, and that's me and my wife's bike, 60 to 80km per week. Yesterday was also the first time I ever decreased our chains, cassette, jockeys. Don't think I'm up for that once a week. Maybe once a month.

Maybe a slightly dry chain versus over lubed is better, I don't know....but some valuable comments here none the less.

Over lubed is always better. Lube that cakes up isn't necessarily bad from a wear perspective. Not removing the gunk is a problem.

In industrial applications chains using operate in dip lubrication environment where it passes through a bath of oil. You don't have that luxury on a bicycle. So having a bit more lube is a good thing but scrape off the excess and only relube the chain when it feels dry or is noisy.

Under lubed saves a a few marginal gains watts but doesn't help get the 6000km out of an XX1 chain

I get from a small chemicals supplier in Montague Gardens, max products. Not sure if they still selling. There's quite a few suppliers.

A search shows a very wide range of  "%" for isopropyl alcohol.

What do you recommend ?

Do you filter and re-use it for the next chain clean ?

Buy the 99% pure and dilute it with 20to30% water by volume. That takes the edge off it

Yes I first let it settle in the bath and pump it out into a separate bottle. Line a wire gauze funnel with coffee filter paper

And then reuse that till its saturated with oil. You'll know when to to dispose of it because its starts to discolour.

I have a very different experience to some of you guys with Squirt...I have been using it for 10 years and will never use anything else...have also converted some of my friends here in Italy to Squirt...one of them has done 13000km on an X0 Eagle groupset and has only replaced the chain twice...cassette is still working

On my Scalpel Si I am on 8000km...I have 2 chains that I rotate every 2000km , all still working perfectly...

It is easy to apply [take all of 20 seconds] and leaves very little mess ...

I;ve used squirt for a few years. I degrease fully immersed in benzine, then let the chain dry fully, then lube each roller with a single drop of squirt. then after the next ride, i lube each roller individually again. a dropped chain hardly dirties my hands at all.

I'm not saying it's the best, but it works well enough. From reports here, I'll be trying Smoove when I can find it.

I haven't observed a change from before but agree it gets the drivetrain dirty quickly.  Still a great lube.

If you are the type that keeps adding more lube to a dirty chain and the drivetrain is only cleaned by the shop every time the bike is serviced - Squirt is the way to go.  Maybe try to wipe the chain off with a cloth before adding lube now and again.  Baby steps.  Squirt does the job even if it isn't pretty.

If you are an obsessive degreaser like me you should look elsewhere.  I clean the drivetrain properly after every long ride, which usually means once a week.  I like my chain/cassette shiny and QUIET.  Currently using Smoove which is well-suited to this type of abuse.  I suspect there are some fancy lubes that would work even better.

What do you use to clean in-between Smoove application?

What do you use to clean in-between Smoove application?

hot water and sunlight dishwashing soap. heat turns the wax back to liquid. Sunlight soap breaks the surface tension so it washes off.

The cleaner they sell is IPA/Water mix I believe. I doubt its anything very aromatic because that would affect the PET bottle it sold in. Also carcinogenic whereas IPA is relatively non toxic unless ingested

Funny that

I bought Smoove once and then went back to Squirt ............ in an ideal world though I would be buying Purple Extreme, if only I could find it in SA again

61O7AG7TsnL._SX425_.jpg

Ditto! .Tried all the other crap out there .Above product worked