[Event] Eroica South Africa 2021

Stan Engelbrecht

Event Name: Eroica South Africa 2021
When: 24 April 2021
Where: Montagu Country Hotel, 27 Bath Street, Montagu, Western Cape
Category: Road

Everyone's favourite vintage-cycling celebration is back! Eroica South Africa 2021 will be held, as always, in the Western Cape town of Montagu on 24 April this year. This is a little later than normal, but I'm sure all can appreciate the reasons for the delay. Considering the pandemic we will be changing the format of the event in such a way that everyone has the opportunity to practice as much social distancing as makes them feel comfortable. The safety of our Eroica community is of utmost importance to us, and so is the safety of the people of Montagu who we have to work closely with.

With all these considerations we still want to make Eroica South Africa 2021 an unforgettable one. We will be avoiding big group gatherings and the normal mass start. But for this year we want to focus on giving participants the opportunity to spend the day out on their bikes with close friends and family, and structuring the riding in such a way that you can choose on the day how far and wide you’d like to explore. We’re looking at it as a choose-your-own-adventure type of day, with pick-up spots for picnic-style food packs. This way each rider or group can choose where they spend some time enjoying their food and drinks along their route. Each rider will have a map with routes and distances clearly laid out, food pick-up points clearly marked, and lots of potential picnic spots indicated. As always there will be great emphasis on good, fresh local food and refreshments, and of course our planned routes will be filled with beautiful views and adventurous detours. We will make up for everything we’re giving up because of COVID-19 by making every other aspect of the event even better.

The NOVA component will still have a race aspect this year, with timed Strava race-sections, but the distance will be a bit shorter, with more technical sections.

​Entries are open! Come join us.

- Stan Engelbrecht, Director of Eroica South Africa.

Go to Event Page