Replacing Sealant

Rhodent

Looking for some advice please...

I need to replace the sealant in my tyres - is this pretty easy to do myself or am I going to have to go the LBS route?

Any idea what I’m looking at cost wise?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bike shop will cost you about R50 a tyre or max r75 a tyre if they need to reapply sealant tape onto the rims.

Else diy it, buy any choice sealant and tape u prefer at about R150 a bottle and can use to top up and redo yourself in the future.

Link to the DIY

It's easy if it's been in less than 6 months. If you've never replaced a tubeless mtb Tyre there are a few good threads on here. Soapy water and a compressor or visit to g service station are your friend. My first time was a disaster but the third time was perfect and can now do in my sleep. If your sealants been in longer than 6 months it can be a real pain to remove. Some guys use a pressure washer. Took me 2 hours and a bottle of Benzine.... As a side note, I just spoke to my brother who is changing his tyres and he said he battled to unseat the Tyre and to clean out the sealant from his front which went on the back. Is build up normal? Think his LBS uses Safeseal...

Learn to do it yourself.

(But if you can find a LBS that will do it for R50 that's a winner all round)

Learn to do it yourself.

(But if you can find a LBS that will do it for R50 that's a winner all round)

Crown cycles in southern suburbs cape town does it for R75 a wheel

Bike shop will cost you about R50 a tyre or max r75 a tyre if they need to reapply sealant tape onto the rims.

Else diy it, buy any choice sealant and tape u prefer at about R150 a bottle and can use to top up and redo yourself in the future.

Link to the DIY

https://youtu.be/Eo4lhnsahIQ

If you do anything the mucoff way it's going to cost 100x more than it needs too

If you do anything the mucoff way it's going to cost 100x more than it needs too

It's my best tyre sealant hands down.

100% converted.  Road / trail / DH bikes all done.

As mention, if its just a top up, remove valve core, use syringe or bottle to fill via the valve, then replace core and inflate.

Enduro Seal has a great little bottle with a pipe that fits over the valve stem. Bottle is supposed to included with the 1L package.

As an aside and at risk of stirring up a hornets nest... I wonder how different each sealant is to the other.... So many people have a favourite which they swear by that leads me to believe there are few cr@p ones out there?

Enduro Seal works well but stinks of ammonia as do many others.... Their bottle applicators are a cool idea with the tube. I've had serious velcroing issues with Enduro seal that might have been left a bit longer.

It's my best tyre sealant hands down.

100% converted. Road / trail / DH bikes all done.

You convinced me of Enduro seal and now you’re punting Muc Off. Damn dude.

You convinced me of Enduro seal and now you’re punting Muc Off. Damn dude.

Get ahead of the curve ... :)

This stuff WORKS. I have tubeless sets with for 2 years, no issues.

This morning a kid on a 20" tire had a puncture ... obviously nobody carries that size spare tube ....

I removed the valve core, added a bit of Sludge, valve in, inflate tire ....

Took longer to wask my hands and pack away the tools in my car than it took to get the kid going.

post-110956-0-72076900-1612081363_thumb.jpg

No need to take the tyre off. Valve out. Sealant in. Valve back in. Pump up tyre. Ride your bike.

Keep the tyre (wheel) up in the air before letting it down and adding sealant.

Sometimes the tyre can pop off the rim i.e. break the bead seal.  Bead seal i.e. tyre 'wire/cable' not seating is the most common let-down which then requires a bomb/compressor/garage visit/special pump etc.

If you deflate it slowly and keep the tyre of the ground, you will be able to just repump with your normal pump. (p.s. when you have the valve out - make sure you clean it inside and out)

The issue with the valve top up method is that you don't really know how much sealant is still left inside.

Some tire and rim combos reseat easily enough that you break the bead, add sealant and re-inflate it with a floor pump.

Karl Platt seated a tyre with a hand pump once. Just takes a bit of effort.

... a bit of effort, and often a lot of luck.

It also depends on the brand of Tyre but I generally only use a foot pump to seat the tyres. I almost never use a compressor / bomb or other form of accelerated air.

Then to answer the question about the sealant: the reason why people have favorites are quite simple: some sealants are such rubbish that you can just as well add sugar water to your tyres. Some that fall within the rubbish category are:

Squirt

Bat seal

Some that fall within the good category

Stans (way too expensive)

Enduro seal

Joe's

Safe seal