Public Bicycle Sharing (PBS)

P4_Pat

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently writing a Master research paper on the potential for implementation of a Public Bicycle Sharing (PBS) system in the Fourways Area. Gautrain has proposed the expansion of the network with another 19 stations including Fourways, Randburg, Sunninghill, Little Falls and several others. This could present a good opportunity to implement a PBS for the first and last mile connection to a Gautrain station, although the success would be dependent on the public perception and propensity to use it without it becoming a boon to the community and society.

I'd like to get your view on this and have created a 5-7minute survey to capture some of data for this.

If you've got some time to spare take my survey, even if you're not within the Fourways area, this has applicability for general perception around a PBS, and would greatly assist me in completing my thesis.

https://wits.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2f2w8QkLwxbE8Fn

Thanks

Pat

how are you going to prevent the bikes being RDP'd?

Theft and vandalism are certainly problematic factors which play against such a system, this is also not particular to SA, its happened across the globe. It may depend on the nature of the PBS system. An undocked system (which allows one to find a bike at random places and unlock with a cell app) or a docked system, the latter may be more applicable for the local market thus creating an element of theft prevention. Docked bicycles would require KYC and a credit card to be loaded against them. Its up to the last user to ensure its returned and docked otherwise they'd be at risk of being charged.

This also prevents bike litter, which is people just dumping their shared bicycle anywhere.