Scott Spark 920 advice

StevieG

Hi everyone. So i'm still on the fence as to what bike to buy, and given the current stock situation all over the world, i'm having to settle on what's available. The Scott Spark 920 keeps popping up in my feeds all over the place, but there are hardly any reviews on Sparks anywhere. The components seem fine, GX spec, and it's got a Fox 34 fork, and all in weight seems quite good for my needs, around 12.9kgs. My questions is, the geo seems a bit dated, not very slack 67deg, and not a very steep seat angle 73deg, and i'm looking for a bike I can grow into.

Is anyone currently riding one, or know of anyone with it? Looking for something between 130mm and 150mm travel, and the Pyga Hyrax, Transition spur, and Evil Following have all been top of my list, but price and stock has been a major issue.

Nothing wrong with a Spark or its geometry, I know cause I had a 940 for a time. It all depends what you want to do with it. For general trail riding, xc and marathon riding, it is a great bike. If you want to huck jumps and hit super rowdy stuff, look elsewhere, maybe a Scott Genius.

Pinkbike has some nice thinks to say about the Spark and a cool custom staff bike:

Scott Spark 900 - Review - Pinkbike

Staff Rides: Photographer Matt Wragg's Scott Spark - Pinkbike

Edited by the_bob

Thanks man. Yeh I'm guessing you'd be hard pressed to find a "bad" bike these days,but have to ask. It's a lot of dollar for something you can't even demo

And those reviews seem quite dated, maybe the geo hasn't changed much since then anyway

Edited by StevieG

I can tell you that my Trance 29 (10mm longer reach, 1 degree slacker head angle, 1 degree steeper seat tube and about a kilo heavier) is a much better descender than the Spark. On flat and rolling terrain the Spark is more efficient, especially in the mid setting of the Twinloc and does climb better regardless of the Twinloc setting. The Trance 29 feels like a more exciting bike, which is happier to jump and pump the terrain.

As Levy said in the Pinkbike review, the Spark is a very capable bike, but with a serious character. Again, it comes down to what you want from the bike.

Not a geometry expert so won't comment on that.

Spec wise you are getting an excellent bike compared to what most rivals offer at the price. I would not hesitate getting this bike. 130mm travel on that Fox 34 combined with the dropper will give you plenty of fun descending rides, obviously depending on what type of riding you plan on doing.

I have a 120mm FOX 34 Rhythm Float performance and in my experience with it I only have love for it and good things to say about it. Have had lots of fun with it and it's been handling everything I throw at it.

Thanks guys. Looking for something a little more playful on the downs. Its tough finding demos of any bikes at this stage, so might hold off a bit until I can get a ride on one

I would not worry about the geo on the Spark. My first trail bike - a 2013 Reign had a 67.5 hta and me next one a 66.5. Both were suitably dh capable. IMO bike fit and comfort is not something you arrive at on a brief test ride . There are few bad bikes out there and it takes time and hours in the saddle to find the ideal set up. 

Thanks guys. Looking for something a little more playful on the downs. Its tough finding demos of any bikes at this stage, so might hold off a bit until I can get a ride on one

Where are you ? Maybe a Hubber in your area can help ....

Where are you ? Maybe a Hubber in your area can help ....

I'm in Ballito, so do Holla quite a bit. Had a look at the 920 at Cyclelab, and it's definately a sexy bike, except for the rats nest of cabling coming off of it. But no stock at least for another 2 months

I'm in Ballito, so do Holla quite a bit. Had a look at the 920 at Cyclelab, and it's definately a sexy bike, except for the rats nest of cabling coming off of it. But no stock at least for another 2 months

Hiehie ....

YES, that bunch of cables is NOT everybodies cup of tea ,,,,,,

Will admit I did not like the look ..... BUT, once you start using the twin lockout ON THE GO ... man, what a nice system !!!!

Easy enough when riding trails you know.  But when you are climbing a new trail, you want the suspension in "traction mode" (mid setting).  Then when you turn a corner and bomb down a steep section it is one click of the thumb to open the suspension to full travel.   :thumbup:   :clap:

What no calls for a Titan Cypher or epic Evo!!

I'm disappointed

TITAN YES !!!

What is that other thing ....

really need comic sans on the phone

I'm also considering a new bike. Done a fair amount of reading etc. and for what I want, xc/trail riding, the 920 is top of my list.

130mm up front with a dropper will get me over everything it needs to and the twinloc setup is something I see a lot of value in, as mentioned above. A bonus is that the 920 is also the best looking in the range at the moment imho. 

Only downside I see is that I would have preferred the XT drivetrain on the 930 as opposed to the GX on the 920 - but this can be rectified as an "upgrade" later down the road. 

I'd say go for it unless your looking for something that is a bit more trail orientated.