Scott Spark 920 advice

StevieG

I'm also considering a new bike. Done a fair amount of reading etc. and for what I want, xc/trail riding, the 920 is top of my list.

130mm up front with a dropper will get me over everything it needs to and the twinloc setup is something I see a lot of value in, as mentioned above. A bonus is that the 920 is also the best looking in the range at the moment imho. 

Only downside I see is that I would have preferred the XT drivetrain on the 930 as opposed to the GX on the 920 - but this can be rectified as an "upgrade" later down the road. 

I'd say go for it unless your looking for something that is a bit more trail orientated.  

I would personally take the 930 and pocket the 8k and get the Shimano Setup Initially.

Changing over Later Will Require Work to the Rear Wheel etc etc. (and Vast Expense).

(The Fork is slightly better on the 920 but will it make a difference.)

I also like that Muddy Green colour on the 930

My Personal Experience with an Sram Drive train was not Pleasant after 40 Years of Hapiness with Shimano.

Edited by dasilvarsa

I'm also considering a new bike. Done a fair amount of reading etc. and for what I want, xc/trail riding, the 920 is top of my list.

130mm up front with a dropper will get me over everything it needs to and the twinloc setup is something I see a lot of value in, as mentioned above. A bonus is that the 920 is also the best looking in the range at the moment imho. 

Only downside I see is that I would have preferred the XT drivetrain on the 930 as opposed to the GX on the 920 - but this can be rectified as an "upgrade" later down the road. 

I'd say go for it unless your looking for something that is a bit more trail orientated.  

Only thing that concerns me is the lack of reviews on the sparks. Why do you think that is? Specialized and Titan are not on my list. Think they're a bit too XC orientated for me. Also now looking at the Santa Cruz Tallboy, but again, price is a lot steeper than I anticipated. 

Only thing that concerns me is the lack of reviews on the sparks. Why do you think that is? Specialized and Titan are not on my list. Think they're a bit too XC orientated for me. Also now looking at the Santa Cruz Tallboy, but again, price is a lot steeper than I anticipated. 

When I got mine there were quite a few reviews. I think the issue might be that the Spark has not changed since the 2017 model (just different spec level and colourways for the year models) so there has not really been any point in reviewing them again.

I've got a 2017 model 910 and I'm really happy with it. Only changes to the base spec are new wheels (DT Swiss XR391 rims on 240s hubs) and upgrade to 1x 12 Shimano XT (hence the new wheels). It's plenty capable and I even did one or two light enduros on it before I got my enduro bike (those were a bit wild, hence the new bike). Still dig it and ride it quite a lot for XC/marathon/gravel type rides.

I think a good point raised here is that the design has not changed since 2017. Spez and other did their changes recently - I think to coincide with the Olympics (which were then postponed). Probably a good chance of a new Scott design next year? Not sure if you'd be willing to wait it out for a couple of months.  

Santa Cruz Tallboy would be great, but the price is a limiting factor for me too.

I would personally take the 930 and pocket the 8k and get the Shimano Setup Initially.

Changing over Later Will Require Work to the Rear Wheel etc etc. (and Vast Expense).

(The Fork is slightly better on the 920 but will it make a difference.)

I also like that Muddy Green colour on the 930

My Personal Experience with an Sram Drive train was not Pleasant after 40 Years of Hapiness with Shimano.

Would be an interesting exercise to see what would cost more. Upgrading the 930 shock or switching the 920 to XT (incl. new rear wheel setup). 

I'd probably want to upgrade wheels at a later stage anyway and would align this with when the drivetrain wears out that, and a personal preference for the blue, swings it for me. 

I am also looking around for a spark 920 (although 2020 model) for a while now. But with the recent prices on bikes I would also look at the specialized epic evo comp at your budget.

Hi everyone. So i'm still on the fence as to what bike to buy, and given the current stock situation all over the world, i'm having to settle on what's available. The Scott Spark 920 keeps popping up in my feeds all over the place, but there are hardly any reviews on Sparks anywhere. The components seem fine, GX spec, and it's got a Fox 34 fork, and all in weight seems quite good for my needs, around 12.9kgs. My questions is, the geo seems a bit dated, not very slack 67deg, and not a very steep seat angle 73deg, and i'm looking for a bike I can grow into.

Is anyone currently riding one, or know of anyone with it? Looking for something between 130mm and 150mm travel, and the Pyga Hyrax, Transition spur, and Evil Following have all been top of my list, but price and stock has been a major issue.

Hey StevieG. I pulled the trigger Ona spark 920 in August last year. Moving from a silverback hard tail the spark is a lot more relaxed. PM me if you want to know more. And I got a big fat discount. Happy to chat as I’m enjoying the bike. Looking forward to my first stage race once COVID allows. 

I also moved from a Silverback superspeed 2 carbon hard tail to a second hand scott spark world cup rc900 with ultimate sid. I am way more comfy, i am getting old, so wanted less racy stance, less pressure on my hands. The scott is brilliant at everything.

Forgot to add, i have always loved remote lock outs, and the scott's lock out system is insane, freeken love it, was a big reason i went for it. Just my 2 cents.

Forgot to add, i have always loved remote lock outs, and the scott's lock out system is insane, freeken love it, was a big reason i went for it. Just my 2 cents.

I'm more of a set it and forget it kind of guy, and don't really want to be fiddling with lockouts the whole ride, but for climbing efficiency it's a necessary evil I guess.

Have pretty much shortlisted my selection to the Evil Following, Spark 920, Tallboy V4, and Transition Spur, with the latter two having the updated geo for clubbing the downs. Sadly no stock anywhere of anything, and thus zero opportunity to test ride either of them

I just got a new 2020  Spark 920.   you cannot confuse this with the old Spark 920 which i just sold.  the new range is more trail orientated . 120mm travel , short stem, 2.4 tires , dropper etc. The old 920 was a pure  XC race bike.  The new one is not that.   Very similar concept to the Epic Evo.  

I just got a new 2020  Spark 920.   you cannot confuse this with the old Spark 920 which i just sold.  the new range is more trail orientated . 120mm travel , short stem, 2.4 tires , dropper etc. The old 920 was a pure  XC race bike.  The new one is not that.   Very similar concept to the Epic Evo.  

Yeah, their XC racing range is the Spark RC since the 2017 models. The normal Spark is a light trail bike.

Hi everyone. So i'm still on the fence as to what bike to buy, and given the current stock situation all over the world, i'm having to settle on what's available. The Scott Spark 920 keeps popping up in my feeds all over the place, but there are hardly any reviews on Sparks anywhere. The components seem fine, GX spec, and it's got a Fox 34 fork, and all in weight seems quite good for my needs, around 12.9kgs. My questions is, the geo seems a bit dated, not very slack 67deg, and not a very steep seat angle 73deg, and i'm looking for a bike I can grow into.

Is anyone currently riding one, or know of anyone with it? Looking for something between 130mm and 150mm travel, and the Pyga Hyrax, Transition spur, and Evil Following have all been top of my list, but price and stock has been a major issue.

If you are looking for that amount of travel - the Spark is not for you. The Scott Genius or Pyga, Camber, etc is more aligned to what you need.