Saddle bag Sally

Patchelicious

Have tried to make my Arione R1 work that came with my bike, but we are going to divorce now. Its the worst thing ever.

What are the main differences between the Spez Toupe, Romin and Phenoms? I've had all 3, all 3 worked but need to choose now. For the life of me, I cannot find what the differences are.

Perhaps this might help.

Toupe Minimalist flat profile , lightweight, minimal padding.

Phenom double the padding of the toupe especially on the nose prefferd for mtb.

Romin is more curved with a wider nose.

Romin Evo which has the curved profile of the regular Romin but with a narrower nose.

Although saddles are a personal choice. My current choices are a Phenom on the mtb and power saddle on the road bike. However I found the Romin to be comfortable on the road bike as well.

Edited by warick_wrx

Perhaps this might help.

Toupe Minimalist flat profile , lightweight, minimal padding.

Phenom double the padding of the toupe especially on the nose prefferd for mtb.

Romin is more curved with a wider nose.

Romin Evo which has the curved profile of the regular Romin but with a narrower nose.

I had a Phenom on my Epic, rode Desert Dash etc with it, was the most comfortable saddle ever. 

Whats the down side of putting that on a roadie?

Edit: Thank you, by the way.

Edited by Patchelicious

I had a Phenom on my Epic, rode Desert Dash etc with it, was the most comfortable saddle ever.

Whats the down side of putting that on a roadie?

Edit: Thank you, by the way.

The assumption would be that your position on the road bike is more "racy" than on the mtb. So in theory (I think..) your hips will be rotated further forward on the road bike as you'll sit more upright on the mtb.

Hence possibly needing a slightly wider saddle on the mtb than the road bike. So you might find putting the "mtb comfy" saddle on the roadie won't work as well.

(Note widespread use of very subjective language ????)

I too have a power saddle on my roadie and phenoms on the other bikes. 

Same width. Never use ass cream, haven't had a sore or sore sit bones in forever.

If the phenom works, it works

Stating the obvious, just make sure it is the right size. The bike shop sold me a bike with the incorrect seat width (143) and I literally was unable to ride for about 5 days days between rides. Shop kept telling me that it was because I am new to cycling and that I will bet used to it. Persevered for about 2 months changing angles and moving seat back and forth and nothing helped. I then went to another shop who did a re-measure of my sit bones and sold me a wider seat. Boom, problem solved.

Have tried to make my Arione R1 work that came with my bike, but we are going to divorce now. Its the worst thing ever.

What are the main differences between the Spez Toupe, Romin and Phenoms? I've had all 3, all 3 worked but need to choose now. For the life of me, I cannot find what the differences are.

Just went through this...

The romin and Phenom differ in the side profile, ie, the romin is much more curved than the flatter phenom. I use a phenom on offroad bikes, and a romin on the roadie. I find the romin is great if you're not moving around a lot, so sit in the dip and stay there, she's good to go. The phenom seems to feel much better for off and on the saddle on the mtb and especially the gravel bike.

Curvier saddles like the Romin are supposed to be better for those with less flexibility, and the toupe is designed as a race snake road saddle really... Coming off of a Fizik, yoi might be aware of their flexibility design designations which are similar to the Spez shape differences. (fizik recommends the curvy Aliante for less flexibile people, and the flat Arione for flexible, low sling racers. Their widths vary accordingly too, without choice like the Spez offers have).

Thanks for the help.

Trigger has been pulled on a Sworks Phenom. And before I get the tar and feather, its a carbon rail compatibility thing... They only have the Pro in Elaston and besides it looking weird, I dont feel like sitting on "a thousand little cushions". 

Ps: There is a super comfy Fizik Arione R1 going cheap.... PM me.

Also love the Phenom, tried a Power, my ass didn’t like it.

On my road bike I have a Romin, but I bought it by mistake. My LBS is a spez dealer and so always has saddles taken off new bikes for a good price. The Romin and Phenom look so similar I took the Romin off the rack by mistake. My ass can’t taste the difference between the Romin and Phenom.

I have Phenom on roadie and Power on mtb. I see some other brands are starting to look very similar to the Power/Phenom design.

I have tried the Phenom, Romin & Power in the past and here's my take:

1) Power - more for road and sitting still in one position. I used it a few times and my @ss did not enjoy the experience

2) Romin also a road saddle and I found it quite long and skinny, what I mean by that is that if I get out the saddle and look at gripping the saddle between my legs, I tend to go back further than normal just to get some foam between my legs.

3) Have been using the Phenom on and off for about 6 years now. The off bit was when I tried the above mentioned. You can use the phenom for road as well you may just find the "lovers groove" to be too narrow when compared to the Power, this may or may not add some numbness but other than that you made the right choice ????

I was a big fan of the henge, it just worked for me. Spez stopped making it so I bought a phenom, I tried the 143mm and 155mm versions as well as a Power Arc 155mm - just cannot get comfy on either.

I am hunting for a replacement.

Either way, I am gonna be putting both the 143mm Phenom and 155mm Power Arc in the classifieds shortly. Pro versions (? - version up from comp, could be expert - not sure which comes first in the lineup?)

I was a big fan of the henge, it just worked for me. Spez stopped making it so I bought a phenom, I tried the 143mm and 155mm versions as well as a Power Arc 155mm - just cannot get comfy on either.

I am hunting for a replacement.

Either way, I am gonna be putting both the 143mm Phenom and 155mm Power Arc in the classifieds shortly. Pro versions (? - version up from comp, could be expert - not sure which comes first in the lineup?)

Also a henge fan. And then I rode the Syncros Tofino on my new bike. First OEM saddle that I gelled with immediately.

Ek mag dalk 'n Henge vir jou hê...