Garmin Edge vs Wahoo Elemnt Roam

Bundu Ric

Hi all, 

I watched a number of reviews that compares the Gamin Edge 530 and 830 to the Wahoo Elemnt Roam. 

It seems in the end the Wahoo comes out as the better option based on the display quality, wider track views, screen customisation and sizing. 

Any views on the Garmin vs. the Wahoo?

I am leaning towards the Wahoo mainly based on the better display and ability to increase the sizing of the data fields and number of data fields to be displayed. 

Reason is I wear glasses for reading only, so not when cycling which makes checking my watch for ride info a bit of a mission and then obviously for some trail riding going forward the Wahoo trail marking being wider than the Garmin for old eyes seems to be the better option.

Can’t comment on Wahoo but my Garmin 530 ( which was replaced) never stops giving problems with syncing to my phone/s and or uploading rides. I’ve had same issues with other Garmin computers. 

I just changed to a Garnin Edge830 and it is fantastic. It connects seamlessly to all my devices and apps...Iphone, Saris, Kickr, Strava, Discovery, Training Peaks etc. I am by no means an expert but I have changed my training views to show as little as 3 views on one screen which makes it very legible....if you really want to see nicely and have the extra bucks to spend look at a Garmin Edge 1030 plus...cheapest I could find was Sportmanswarehouse at R12999 and I could get 25% cash back through Discovery Vitality. Good luck with your choice!

My wife’s perspective (she rides every day).

Garmin 530: endless syncing problems and unreliable tracking. She loves the Garmin’s screen and interactivity. But the unpredictable nature of the unit is a constant issue.

Wahoo Elemnt Roam: crap screen (poor use of colour capability, low-resolution), but switch it on and it works. Every time. The ‘zoom’ function works well.

She’s sticking with the Wahoo, because it works like it should, ever time and removes the pre-ride frustration that the Garmin so often produced, but prefers the Garmin screen and playful interface. Hope this helps.

I love my Edge 530, never had any syncing issues but I use the WIFI function, when I get back home, stop the workout and its on connect, I use a Garmin watch as well, if I need the edge to connect to my phone(samsung) I just disconnect my watch, I know Garmin has issues with Huwaei phone for some reason, My vote goes to Garmin.

530 has nice MTB function like grit and flow, also measuring your jumps(time in the air)

Morning everyone. I use the edge 530 Plus, and don't have any issues syncing to my phone. If you haven't already, check whether Android is applying battery optimisation to the Garmin connect app. This offloads it from memory and can sometimes result in a lack of connection.

The Garmin itself connects seamlessly to my Wahoo trainer, all my ANT+ sensors, and has a fantastic and reliable feature set. My only qualm is the poor trail mapping and navigation interface. It's supposed to interface well with trail forks, but this integration doesn't work for an entire route, only allowing you to load the trail segments seperately, instead of allowing you to ride them sequentially as you would in real life

Edited by KirJOL

Well thanks for all the replies, now I am even more confused as to which route to go.  :eek:  :eek:

It seems the Garmin is 50/50 on the connection / synching as that was some of the gripes I saw online as well. 

The below is quite intrerestign as one of the review I saw with the Roam and Gamin side to side was the better trail tracking screen as the path is wider and better coloured on the Wahoo. But again, this could also just be personal preference of the person doing the review. 

Wahoo Elemnt Roam: crap screen (poor use of colour capability, low-resolution), but switch it on and it works. Every time. The ‘zoom’ function works well.

I have the Garmin edge 530 as well, it's just brought me joy up to this point. It syncs seamlessly with my phone. I usually ride with it connected to my IPhone so that my wife can track me live. Normally before I have packed my bike away and I'm in the house it's already finished uploaded.

It does sound like more 'n phone problem than a garmin problem. I use an iPhone and it connects seamlessly but I have had a friend that struggled to connect his devices to his Samsung

Had 820 then 830.

After realising my Garmin watch was just a glorified 1982 Casio, and going back to Apple Watch, the next step was to remove the Edge from my life so I could delete their awful bloody Connect app from my phone.

Wahoo has been brilliant.  Not a single issue.  Screen feels low res, but never left me wanting for information etc.   so cannot complain.   Also just nicer to use in every respect.

:blink:  :blink:

I think the solution will be to put a pic up of both devices, close my eyes and throw a dart at it to determine which one.  :clap:

So far we seem to be split on the views as to which one is better  :whistling:

The one thing I like is it seems the Wahoo interface and switching between what you want to see is easy with the side buttons. So you can quickly navigate data fields and information while riding.

Well definitely more Youtube and googling required to confuse me as to the best one. 

I have the 520 plus, and also had the syncing issues when I started using it. Through trial and error, it seems the issue (in my case) is if you don't have it connected from the start to your phone via bluetooth, it struggles to sync your last activity if you only connect afterwards.

Since I started connecting the phone to the unit before I start the activity, I've had no issues (touch wood!) - not ideal obviously if you are trying to save battery on a looooooong ride

I now have the Edge 830, had the edge 800.

- On V7.0.0.0 on the edge 830 I have had no syncing issues, be that Wi-Fi or Bluetooth to my phone(Note 10).
I currently have the data fields set up to show 7 fields, but as you scale this down the fields do increase in size, and there are multiple different layouts so that a certain field can be emphasized (at the cost of other fields being marginally smaller).
- TopoAfrica mapping updates are an annual occurrence on the 830.
- 830 is still responsive even with a mild drizzle (which is surprising for a touchscreen).

- Battery life on the 830 is 20 hours vs 17 for the Wahoo element roam.

Cleary this is a split decision ....

So here is my vote(s):

1. 520 VERY happy !

2. 130 reasonably happy

3. Vivoactive 4 ... VERY HAPPY !!!

4. Dash cam ... good

NO connection issues, to Samsung

Indeed a very tough split decision scenario at this point in time.  :whistling:

Cleary this is a split decision ....

So here is my vote(s):

1. 520 VERY happy !

2. 130 reasonably happy

3. Vivoactive 4 ... VERY HAPPY !!!

4. Dash cam ... good

NO connection issues, to Samsung

If you are looking at the 1030.....don't touch it.  I have had two in a year and they are very unstable and not worth using.

I too wear glasses and needed a bigger screen so changed to the 1030. 

Garmin.........?  

@Bundu Ric have you looked at the DC Rainmaker reviews? Pretty thorough and, if I remember correctly, he too says he prefers the Garmin (notably interface) but uses the Wahoo for reliable predictability compared to the ongoing Garmin's software/firmware niggles. 

In brief; Wahoo: no hassles, it does what you ask. Garmin: overpromises and makes excuses when it can't deliver. 

(*using up-to-date iPhone to connect devices)