Found the mysterious ticking noise

Furbz

i have a tick coming from the BB area of my MTB.

it has been driving me nuts.

i serviced the BB and pedals and for some reason could not solve my ticking noise.

i even swapped out for new XT pedals and still i have a terrible tick!

i eventually took the bike in to be looked.

the mechanic found that is was the actual crank that is creaking.

its almost impossible to figure where on the crank its coming from.

anyone experienced something similar and have a solution?

https://streamable.com/ofc6w8

Edited by Furbz

Seems like it could be from the Chainring fixing nut, or the bolt that joins the spindle themselves?

Might need a thorough strip, degrease, and relube, since its a prone area for dirt and ingress.

glad you got sorted. had the same with an ultegra crank...cannot stand a creaky bike, so it got binned. Kudos to your LBS for getting to the root of the issue

I had a similar problem with my Ultegra crank.  Also stripped everything, including my moer!  Eventually tracked it down to a hairline crack on the right crank arm.

Shimano replaced it under warranty.

Probably coming from fretting at the pressfit interface between the left crank and the spindle. Never seen it happen on a SRAM crank before though.

Warranty is 2 years and one owner, and probably the easiest way of sorting it out.

Otherwise you may be able to shut it up with a wicking threadlocker (Loctite 406 or similar), which will take up the space that's causing the movement.

From your vid he's holding by the pedals - Are you sure the click is not coming from the pedals ?

100% certain. i've swapped pedals out and its still there.

removing the pedals and the tick still persists 

glad you got sorted. had the same with an ultegra crank...cannot stand a creaky bike, so it got binned. Kudos to your LBS for getting to the root of the issue

yep. i'm kinda shocked. i dont ride mtb much. the crank is 3 years old and has done less than 758km according to Strava.

Warranty period is 2 years.

I had a similar problem with my Ultegra crank.  Also stripped everything, including my moer!  Eventually tracked it down to a hairline crack on the right crank arm.

Shimano replaced it under warranty.

sadly Sram warranty is only 2 years. my crank is around 3 years old now.

Sounds like you need a new bike to me.

finally someone with some practical advice. i'll try it and revert back

Is the crank bolt torqued properly? Is it not related to the outer crank bolt which the inner (self extracting) bolt presses against? As an aside is it my eyes playing tricks is are you chainring not full of sharkteeth ie worn?

It's difficult to see... I ride an oval chainring and every few months or less even my RD starts to tick as the clutch has to accommodate the ovality...

Owner of a Vipa phoned me yesterday she asked if I could look to find a ticking noise coming from the front wheel . She brought the bike this morning saying the noise is actually coming from the rear wheel . So up on the stand yes was coming from the rear wheel . The rear wheel is quite a tight fit .Was the tip of a plug touching the frame . So some clicks are easier to solve than others

Owner of a Vipa phoned me yesterday she asked if I could look to find a ticking noise coming from the front wheel . She brought the bike this morning saying the noise is actually coming from the rear wheel . So up on the stand yes was coming from the rear wheel . The rear wheel is quite a tight fit .Was the tip of a plug touching the frame . So some clicks are easier to solve than others

reminds me of an incident with a workshop customer when I was at Volvo.

There was a ticking sound coming from left front.

Workshop spent hours trying to find the source of the tick. Eventually tried a different set of wheels and the noise went away.

Whilst wheeling one of the wheels around by hand the technician heard a sound, they took the tyre off and found a screw lying inside. Turns out the customer got a puncture, which ever place fixed the puncture must have pushed the screw in all the way instead of taking it out before plugging.