Intrinsic value

philippe484

I've worked in the high end cycling industry as a technician for more than 25years so the opinion I'm about to enumerate is deeply held and backed up with lots of personal history and pain.

It's understood that opinions will differ but if you have one on bicycle frame material, I'd expect that you've done your homework.. I have and I'm very definitely a steel man.

It needs to be recognised that there are a very wide range of steel qualities used in frame construction, starting with high tensile tubing and going all the way to titanium.

Not many shops offer their clients anything like decent steel framed bicycles and very few make after market frames available .. there are good reasons for that but I'm one of those guys who just hates new ****. My bikes last, steel bikes last !

There isn't a single bike I've ridden (and I've worked in Dubai, on the most expensive bicycles in the world) that I would take over my old single speeded chromoly Kona .. which is why bike builders use STEEL.

Maybe some of the people reading this recognise the bike, I've had it up for sale on this site before but no one was prepared to pay my price so I kept the bike .. happily, because I believe in intrinsic value and this bike like my Bridgestone has intrinsic value. It will also outlast pretty much any overpriced latest, greatest bike out there.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Intrinsic value is a bit of a misnomer; value is a matter of perspective (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) and by extension is a product of what the market is willing to pay (the ultimate beholders).

The market can be expanded through better marketing or looking further afield, but ultimately it comes down to what someone is willing to pay for the item.

If you're willing to pay more than anyone else for the item then it makes sense you should keep it.

I forgot to bring my carbon framed bike indoors the one night when it was raining, it has since corroded, and I can see cracks forming on the welds.

The only thing you enumerated through were you emotions, most notably a love for steel bikes, bitterness toward the masses for not buying your steel bike and again you love for steel bikes.

I forgot to bring my carbon framed bike indoors the one night when it was raining, it has since corroded, and I can see cracks forming on the welds.

The only thing you enumerated through were you emotions, most notably a love for steel bikes, bitterness toward the masses for not buying your steel bike and again you love for steel bikes.

You obviously dont value your plastic bike either since you forgot it outside in the weather one night. Never mind the frame, your groupset and bearings are now all rusted and cracked at the joints. You are going to hell for that regardless.

/comic sans/

To be fair, good modern steel frames are all protected against corrosion...even internally.

Silly thread. Like what you like. I like my bicycles like I like my music - metal as f4ck. That doesn't mean i don't like carbon bikes though, i can appreciate some justin bieber every now and then too ☺️????

Edited by morneS555

Ive had the same with  two Cotics ive had on the Hub for more than two years. 

In the one case every now and then i get a message saying im asking way to much and i just refer them to  Cotics site to go buy a new one ( whitch cost a lot more)

In the other case i have declined to sell my BFe on several occasion since the buyers obviously did not understand why the bike is special.

Ive now decided to strip my solaris max and build up the flare max thats "to expensive" and ride that again  but wondering whehter its worth punting the Solaris max up for sale

Edited by phenning

SNIP

It's understood that opinions will differ but if you have one on bicycle frame material, I'd expect that you've done your homework.. I have and I'm very definitely a steel man.

It needs to be recognised that there are a very wide range of steel qualities used in frame construction, starting with high tensile tubing and going all the way to titanium.

SNIP

Sorry to be critical here, but I fear a kid will read this and be confused for life

Titanium is not a type of Steel, it falls in its own group of metals.

I think what you meant to say was something along the lines of:

"There are a wide range of Metals used in frame construction, starting with Aluminium progressing through Steel and finally reaching the superior option in all the universe... Titanium"

Yes, I'll donate my left $%^&@%&* for a properly constructed Titanium bike.

PS. Sorry nobody valued your bike as much as you did, it is best that you kept it instead of taking it to a pawn shop for next-to-nothing.

Ive had the same with two Cotics ive had on the Hub for more than two years.

In the one case every now and then i get a mesagay saying im asking way to mutch and i just refer them to Cotics site to go buy a new one ( whitch cost a lot more)

In the other case i have declined to sell my BFe on several ocation sinde teh buyers obviousy did not unerstand why the bike is special.

Ive now decided to strip my solaris max and build up the flare max thats "to expensive" and ride that agian but wondering wehter its worth puting the Solaris max up for sale

I came very close to taking you up on the flare at the end of 2019, life just happened and it didn't work out that way.

I thi k you were perfectly reasonable with your prices

If only we could sell our stuff for what we think it’s worth

Fair value is irrelevant - things are worth what someone else will pay - if that falls below expectations tough

What a dumb thread why am I commenting ? I yes I’m avoiding work where I also feel undervalued

Edited by Wayne pudding Mol

The sort of post one makes when bored and decide to bait the water a little to get the fight going .....sometimes the contenders are not lus to go after each other though.

Gotta pick something which speak more to tribal instincts like "Pyga is way better that Spez "

Ive now decided to strip my solaris max and build up the flare max thats "to expensive" and ride that again but wondering whehter its worth punting the Solaris max up for sale

If I had the money to build it I would be all over that Solaris frame. Soos 'n vetseun op 'n cupcake.