Best value for money cycling clothes

VTFerreira1

With there being so many different brands of bibs and shirts available, I would like to hear the different opinions on which brand is the best value for money.

If it is a South African brand, even better!

This is tricky to answer, at least as far as bibs go... One man's meat is another man's poison... The most expensive bib may be impossible for me to endure for more than an hour, yet, the cheapest might be the best...

Jersey's are different and for me it comes down to how well the material lasts in the washing machine and when i hit the deck, or when it gets grabbed by bushes and twigs on the trail.

I'd recommend watching this thread and the other mentioned above - Anatomic make good stuff. 

Rapidsport is another. Enjoy is another good brand, First Ascent as well. It's important to get the fit right - start at the bottom and work your way up - much more economical way of finding hidden gems that way.

Cycling doesn't have value for money anything...

As already mentioned, First Ascent and Anatomic would probably be the best options

Panda is great value, if you live in JHB go to their offices, they have a bargain bin as well as overstock. Loads of great deals at great prices

just spend your time online shopping hard for deals. We got Nalini bibs for less than first ascent ones a few weeks back, makes it real in terms of value for money...

As stated quite a lot is based upon personal preference and fit especially shorts. But if you do find a pair that you really like, buy yourself a few pairs as sometimes by the time that you want to buy replacements then you can't find that particular cut anymore

For jerseys I find Ciovita are pretty comfy and surprisingly cheap. 

As stated quite a lot is based upon personal preference and fit especially shorts. But if you do find a pair that you really like, buy yourself a few pairs as sometimes by the time that you want to buy replacements then you can't find that particular cut anymore

For jerseys I find Ciovita are pretty comfy and surprisingly cheap

Not really, unless you grab them on special.

Not really, unless you grab them on special.

That's relative I guess. Even on sale I wouldn't call that cheap.

their bibs are OK

tops are limited for okes that only drink craft gin and wears a size 30 jean pant..... #notfordadbods

their bibs are OK

tops are limited for okes that only drink craft gin and wears a size 30 jean pant..... #notfordadbods

Maybe I should save up then. I wear a size 28 and all my cycling kit is in XS...

subjective topic, but i guess the bang for buck entry would probably start at MrPrice sport.

some guys will swear by their Assos bibs and ride them high mileage for 3 years. Sure they cost R3k upfront but if they are used a lot and work better than other options. I don't know if they really are worth it. If you pony up that much cash you aren't going to admit it if they are crap for you(but the weight of anecdotal evidence is strong here).

Worst value cycling bib is the one you spend R1k on and it doesn't work for you from the first ride.

subjective topic, but i guess the bang for buck entry would probably start at MrPrice sport.

some guys will swear by their Assos bibs and ride them high mileage for 3 years. Sure they cost R3k upfront but if they are used a lot and work better than other options. I don't know if they really are worth it. If you pony up that much cash you aren't going to admit it if they are crap for you(but the weight of anecdotal evidence is strong here).

Worst value cycling bib is the one you spend R1k on and it doesn't work for you from the first ride.

I have three year old Decathlon bibs bought on sale for R299. Probably got over 3k km per pair. I'm about to put one on to go ride now. Still going fine.

I also had two pairs of Maxed bibs that I used for about 10 years. The last few were only indoors though, they was well used...

Edited by TNT1