Is it just me or do we have a major stock problem?

pedal menace

Hi All,

Just a tiny wee small little (I guess) insignificant rant. I may be in the market to buy a new MTB Hardtail. Looking for a decent quality bike (Carbon frame, Size L) and medium/high-ish groupset (SRAM X01/Shimano XT is fine). Should be easy right? Given the economy and the downward spiral of the public's buying power I thought I will be able to find something quickly. So I started a bit of a search just to see options/prices (no commitment). First online (yeah I am a bit of a geek - just love browsing). That pretty much yielded ZILCH! Nada! Nothing! Ok sure I most definitely did not go to every website that tom, dick and harry created for his/her shop. Sheesh - I don't love the internet that much. Then I started making phone calls/mailed actual shops (I mean not everybody is online or advertises everything). Good golly gosh! Every response I got was - "Sorry there is just no stock in SA" I queried shops with Scott, Merida and Cannondale (my fav brands). So am I to assume that we are in a really bad position at the moment? Most shops indicated they a general stock problem of MANY things - not just actual bikes. OR...is it perhaps just that MTB Hardtails are not selling that much so no one really brings them in. Guess I will settle with what I have. Ok small rant over -  back to browsing - ag mean working! 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

manufacturing and distribution basically came to a grinding halt during 2020, that with the sales everyone had to keep business afloat during lockdown, has most definitely resulted in stock shortages or will have in the near future.

what worries me is the effect that supply and demand will have on (already inflated) local pricing, especially on consumables.

Yes I'm looking for an entry-level M 29er with air shock and a decent 1 or 2 by and nobody in Cape Town has anything. Some people saying mid-feb/mar, others have no idea when new stock coming.

yip worldwide issue. I am on an overseas Facebook cycling page, some guys received stock of bikes but said the prices increased by about +-30%

Hi All,

Just a tiny wee small little (I guess) insignificant rant. I may be in the market to buy a new MTB Hardtail. Looking for a decent quality bike (Carbon frame, Size L) and medium/high-ish groupset (SRAM X01/Shimano XT is fine). Should be easy right? Given the economy and the downward spiral of the public's buying power I thought I will be able to find something quickly. So I started a bit of a search just to see options/prices (no commitment). First online (yeah I am a bit of a geek - just love browsing). That pretty much yielded ZILCH! Nada! Nothing! Ok sure I most definitely did not go to every website that tom, dick and harry created for his/her shop. Sheesh - I don't love the internet that much. Then I started making phone calls/mailed actual shops (I mean not everybody is online or advertises everything). Good golly gosh! Every response I got was - "Sorry there is just no stock in SA" I queried shops with Scott, Merida and Cannondale (my fav brands). So am I to assume that we are in a really bad position at the moment? Most shops indicated they a general stock problem of MANY things - not just actual bikes. OR...is it perhaps just that MTB Hardtails are not selling that much so no one really brings them in. Guess I will settle with what I have. Ok small rant over -  back to browsing - ag mean working! 

to answer the thread title.

No it's not just you.

https://fullsus.co.za/feature-your-lbss-supply-in-the-times-of-covid/

It is a double edged sword at the same time - you need stock to keep your shop afloat. No stock - no sales - no shop. Yes - all going back to supply and demand. But with demand and no supply - shops die even when there are willing buyers. Just a general sad situation - I do not want to see shops fold - but with no stock it is a deadsure outcome for the smaller guys. Sigh - can we not jump the queue to say 2023?

It's with everything though.

The knock on effect of smaller staff numbers, having to isolate every time someone in the factory tests positive/gets sick, the lack of raw materials (same reason) the back log and difficulties shipping (same reason), customs, import centres, stock yards (same reason)...

It filters through to just about every industry where there is a supply line.

The concept that a global recession is following this world wide economic shut down is not news. Non essentials will be highly priced and highly prized. 

It will likely be a long time (years) before we see markets levelling out. Even then there will be a shift in historic behavioural patterns which will influence how that happens.

As this is new to pretty much everybody, there is no indicator as to the long term effects of the virus.

In Europe they closed all team sports so running and cycling boomed. People also bought bikes to avoid public transport.

Throw in reduced manufacturing from lockdowns and stock levels are pretty bleak.

Most new bikes are in the May to Sept delivery range over here.

I'm a Ridley agent and if you want a Kanzo Fast with GRX group it's Jan 2022!

There is a massive supply problem. Delay times for some items are over a year from factory (probably even longer now). 

International demand has gone through the roof and the international supply cannot cope and factories are unwilling to expand as they see it as a short-lived spike. 

In these times, there is no time to shop around and delay your purchase, chances are when you return the item will be sold and most likely not attainable in the regular time frame. 

Adding to this, shipping costs have basically tripled, so even though the R/$ is stronger, prices will most likely increase slightly. 

They predict we will be out of this mess towards the end of 2022. Hopefully that is worst case scenario. 

So will see very few new shiny bikes on the road/mud trails this year! And not because of a lack of willing buyers. And let's be honest - us cyclists are an impatient bunch - no one wants to wait a year! Aaargghhh....anyways, it is what it is. Might as well take my bike money and go buy some alcohol - the shop just opened, and they have stock! 

Edited by pedal menace

Agree, even the Savage kit is all sold out, besides some ladies and XL kit. 

That is probably just because I have been too busy to order more though to be honest.

Either that or you need to recruit more of us bomb squad members to fill out those XL kit....

It's with everything though.

The knock on effect of smaller staff numbers, having to isolate every time someone in the factory tests positive/gets sick, the lack of raw materials (same reason) the back log and difficulties shipping (same reason), customs, import centres, stock yards (same reason)...

It filters through to just about every industry where there is a supply line.

The concept that a global recession is following this world wide economic shut down is not news. Non essentials will be highly priced and highly prized. 

It will likely be a long time (years) before we see markets levelling out. Even then there will be a shift in historic behavioural patterns which will influence how that happens.

As this is new to pretty much everybody, there is no indicator as to the long term effects of the virus.

Correct. Even in the motor industry we are seeing supply issues with certain models.

It's everywhere.

Try go buy bedding. It's all the cr@p that didn't get sold last year and the year before.

What really concerns me tho is the astronomical jump in the price of certain commodities. I used to be able to buy honey for around R65 for 350ml. The cheapest I could get the other day was R110. Not normal.

Edited by Duane_Bosch