Is it just me or do we have a major stock problem?

pedal menace

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jip, massive shortage of stock on bicycles and spares.  And this shortage is worldwide.

My local LBS had a big wall full of spares.  He is ordering 3 to 4 pages full of spares, and gets maybe 5% delivered ....  Another big store in Bellville states some parts will only be available in 3 to 6 months time ....

Another store in the area has a LIST of people willing to put down money, and wait for the next shipment of bikes to arrive ..... 

This is almost a natural response to gyms effectively closing and people finding another sport.

At the local trails we are seeing a LOT of old bikes being used.

Sure, this is an "inconveneance" ....

We have a number of large building projects grinding to a halt due to stock issues of various materials.  Projects started with a specific roof profile .... "sorry, no stock.  Sorry, dont know when we are getting again" ....  On other projects we simply cant find enough structural steel ..... 

Scott, Merida and Cannondale (my fav brands).

you didnt say Giant or Spez so i never read further

cant read what a guy with no taste writes

sorry

spell edit

Edited by rorydewet

Scott MTB's Are Available (Not All Models)

Was at LBS Yesterday and saw stock on hand.

Which one if you don't mind sharing? Perhaps only Entry level stock (that seems to be available - probably higher volumes being imported)? I am willing to give them a shout. 

Try looking @ shops overseas example  https://www.sefiles.net/images/library/zoom/cannondale-f-si-hi-mod-world-cup-366095-1.png

Hi All,

Just a tiny wee small little (I guess) insignificant rant. I may be in the market to buy a new MTB Hardtail. Looking for a decent quality bike (Carbon frame, Size L) and medium/high-ish groupset (SRAM X01/Shimano XT is fine). Should be easy right? Given the economy and the downward spiral of the public's buying power I thought I will be able to find something quickly. So I started a bit of a search just to see options/prices (no commitment). First online (yeah I am a bit of a geek - just love browsing). That pretty much yielded ZILCH! Nada! Nothing! Ok sure I most definitely did not go to every website that tom, dick and harry created for his/her shop. Sheesh - I don't love the internet that much. Then I started making phone calls/mailed actual shops (I mean not everybody is online or advertises everything). Good golly gosh! Every response I got was - "Sorry there is just no stock in SA" I queried shops with Scott, Merida and Cannondale (my fav brands). So am I to assume that we are in a really bad position at the moment? Most shops indicated they a general stock problem of MANY things - not just actual bikes. OR...is it perhaps just that MTB Hardtails are not selling that much so no one really brings them in. Guess I will settle with what I have. Ok small rant over -  back to browsing - ag mean working! 

It's everywhere.

Try go buy bedding. It's all the cr@p that didn't get sold last year and the year before.

What really concerns me tho is the astronomical jump in the price of certain commodities. I used to be able to buy honey for around R65 for 350ml. The cheapest I could get the other day was R110. Not normal.

It's because you're a Ranger driver.

Huge stock problems in the bicycle industry, especially in the kids ranges and low to mid range bikes. High end bikes are in stock all over. Parts are a huge nightmare, as its becoming very difficult to find basic items. To top it all off, companies like cool heat and cape cycles (Shimano and Sram importers) have blocked several overseas websites like Chain Reaction cycles, so you are even unable to order from them. Maybe the competition commission should look into this. 

Huge stock problems in the bicycle industry, especially in the kids ranges and low to mid range bikes. 

Yep, my children keep growing and are due an upgrade but can't find much. Thinking of  possibly looking at a second hand adult 26inch small frame  but truthfully have no clue where to start. Only ever bought new from shop before and if I am honest don't know that much about components etc. 

Edited by Red Robin

What really concerns me tho is the astronomical jump in the price of certain commodities. I used to be able to buy honey for around R65 for 350ml. The cheapest I could get the other day was R110. Not normal.

Yes, I own a motorbike accessory Store, and I am having to chat to importers about their planned increases, what WILL be acceptable (3% up to say 6%, depending on circumstances), example a supplier may not have had increases for 2+ years, and only now needs more than a 3% increase - fair enough...

But our Landlord, as well as VOX (telephone + Internet provider), EACH tried - separately - to slip through a 10% increase (CPI at 3.2%, 3.0% and 3.1%, depending on which month you look at)...

Gave BOTH an ultimatum, and BOTH held off on ANY increase - one for 9 months, the other for 12 months...! (we pay on time, religiously, they never need to chase us, etc)

Went to buy 200 steel hooks for a merchandising project, and they have gone up by 25% since we last purchased early 2020!!! (yes, they ARE made of steel...)!

So, suppliers to ourselves now need to JUSTIFY the price increases to us, from Wholesale into our to Retail; am not going to entertain the 'roundabout' of silly price increases - lets see how much - or how little - they NEED our business, fair's-fair. A fair increase, no sweat - silly percentages, we will source elsewhere...

Chris

Huge stock problems in the bicycle industry, especially in the kids ranges and low to mid range bikes. High end bikes are in stock all over. Parts are a huge nightmare, as its becoming very difficult to find basic items. To top it all off, companies like cool heat and cape cycles (Shimano and Sram importers) have blocked several overseas websites like Chain Reaction cycles, so you are even unable to order from them. Maybe the competition commission should look into this. 

Really? Not from my experience and what I am looking for. I am sure some stuff is in stock - no argument here. But it is limited.