Is it just me or do we have a major stock problem?

pedal menace

I was dead set on buying a 2021 Rocky Mountain element to replace my 2015 model .No stock of that particular model for 2021 and 2022 .On their website it states ,Sold out! 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were also stock shortages here in New Zealand.

Last October I was in Wanaka (big MTB & skiing orientated town). Loads of bike shops and just about all of then hire out MTBs. One shop in particular only had hard tails to hire out as during the lockdown they had sold much of their rental fleet to keep cash-flow, with the plan to buy replacements when restrictions eased up. The importers just couldn't meet the demand and they were left with hardly any stock and a minimal rental fleet.

I rest my case.

If you can find a bike that is close to what you want in your size, take it. Don't hesitate, just take it.

Spoke to another  shop that sells Cannondales yesterday afternoon - Hardtail stock (F-Si) only expected in 2022.  Scalpels no stock right now but there is some hope that stock may arrive at some point but still very difficult to get right now. Perhaps your words are true - if you see a bike in stock - take it! It may not be quite what you wanted but there is little to chance of you having options to pick and chose. I feel for all the bike shops - stock is their bread and butter - but there is simply no bread!

The second hand market is going to get a lot better... glad im a Hub member and can shop to my hearts content.

Over December / January, I searched nearly every shop for shimano road chainrings. Most, including the international retailers, did not have stock. But Olympic Cycles did. It is worth contacting them, they carry a tremendous amount of stock.

I feel for all the bike shops - stock is their bread and butter - but there is simply no bread!

It has been a roller coaster for them.

First it was lockdown and no sales. Then they had a boom and sold whatever they had in stock and whatever they could find. Now they are scrambling for stock again.

But they knew it was was coming, and those who could, ordered large amounts of stock ahead. It is the little guys that are going to chomp at the short end of the stick though.

Over December / January, I searched nearly every shop for shimano road chainrings. Most, including the international retailers, did not have stock. But Olympic Cycles did. It is worth contacting them, they carry a tremendous amount of stock.

They were one of my first stops - only had absolutely wonderful service from them in the past. But alas - also no stock. I think this is a dire situation for all shops. 

Edited by pedal menace

It has been a roller coaster for them.

First it was lockdown and no sales. Then they had a boom and sold whatever they had in stock and whatever they could find. Now they are scrambling for stock again.

But they knew it was was coming, and those who could, ordered large amounts of stock ahead. It is the little guys that are going to chomp at the short end of the stick though.

I have chatted to a few shops and most shops are now behind the scenes exchanging/swopping stock between them - the distributors can simply not supply anything so the shops pull together amongst themselves to consolidate stock and sell what is on the shelves and on the floors. Not a bad thing per se - but overall depletes the little that remains. 

I see Bike Mob are advertising a new Shipment of GTs arriving next month - one can pre-order now.

Mark from Marks Bicycle Shop in Bellville has 4 Orbea Occam (dual) frames up for sale at a very good price for anyone who may be interested. I think it's 3 x M and 1 x Small frame (plus shock).

Hi guys, does anyone know of any place that has stock of the Lyne AMP wheelset? The high engagement non boost one to be specific. 

They're out of stock until April themselves. 

The stock issue is real. Been looking for a FOX 32 lockout dial for my fork for months. Omnico simply dont know when they will get stock

The stock issue is real. Been looking for a FOX 32 lockout dial for my fork for months. Omnico simply dont know when they will get stock

At least Omnico replied to your mails. I mailed them directly as well enquiring about certain products - I am yet to receive feedback (many weeks). Right now one can only buy what's still on the shelves. One has very few options if you are specific in what you want. Since I started this topic I have made several more enquiries - every single one had the same  feedback - stock on many items (i.e. MTB hard tail) expected as late as next year only. Yes - next year!! And YES - I am picky and therefore will just settle with what I have for now. It is not any fault of the bike shops themselves. 

There is a definite shortage of mainstream parts. 

I've been lucky though finding chains, chainrings, even the illusive Park Tool hammer recently. 

All my "not so mainstream" parts haven't been a problem. 

Bikes though.... I have some friends and family struggling to find anything good in their budget ranges.