Advertisers Please Respond To Your Chat Messages !!

RomP

I rest my case.

This is what any buyer would expect and why the seller probably has a flawless rating.

Thanks all for your comments.

After all this talk RE rating systems and feedback I went to look at my marketplace stats ... it is scary how many items I have sold over the years on bikehub ..... let alone the number of purchases that I do not have any track record of!

post-5403-0-07538100-1613662655_thumb.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After all this talk RE rating systems and feedback I went to look at my marketplace stats ... it is scary how many items I have sold over the years on bikehub ..... let alone the number of purchases that I do not have any track record of!

29000 posts :D calm the hell down

What you gona do to celebrate 30k

Free market principle.

If someone super lowballs me for an item you can bet they are not getting a reply. If someone offers me close to the asking price and wants to pick up same day he'll get a pretty swift reply.

This whole dibs, compulsory reply, more rule culture is completely unnecessary - if a seller and a buyer find common ground a deal will happen. If not it won't. We don't need rules/etiquette guides/rants etc.

I'm not the most active forum poster, but I've been around for a while and used the classifieds quite a lot to get into the sport. When I joined, the classifieds had more of a "help a buddy out" vibe. Like if you needed something, it was a place you could find it from your friends on the hub. And if you had something you didn't need, you could sell it to your friends for a good price. I once "bought" mineral oil from a guy for a few beers, and I've sold loads of stuff at low prices just to like pass things on to someone that needs them. And ya, the comments sometimes got a bit rof, but we all have a friend or two that's a bit inappropriate and rof sometimes, but you kind of just accept that they can be a tool and move on.

The new classifieds is like a cycling specific version of olx or gumtree. The "friend" vibe is gone, and it's more like a place where guys are trying to make as much as they can from the other okes here. I've kind of accepted that thats what it is now, so I don't expect much. If I see something that looks good, I send a message and say I wanna buy the thing. If I never hear from the guy again, no loss. If I do, then we can make an arrangement. If I want good customer service or desperately need something, I rather just go to a bike shop. 

Edited by Mountain Bru

I'm not the most active forum poster, but I've been around for a while and used the classifieds quite a lot to get into the sport. When I joined, the classifieds had more of a "help a buddy out" vibe. Like if you needed something, it was a place you could find it from your friends on the hub. And if you had something you didn't need, you could sell it to your friends for a good price. I once "bought" mineral oil from a guy for a few beers, and I've sold loads of stuff at low prices just to like pass things on to someone that needs them. And ya, the comments sometimes got a bit rof, but we all have a friend or two that's a bit inappropriate and rof sometimes, but you kind of just accept that they can be a tool and move on.

The new classifieds is like a cycling specific version of olx or gumtree. The "friend" vibe is gone, and it's more like a place where guys are trying to make as much as they can from the other okes here. I've kind of accepted that thats what it is now, so I don't expect much. If I see something that looks good, I send a message and say I wanna buy the thing. If I never hear from the guy again, no loss. If I do, then we can make an arrangement. If I want good customer service or desperately need something, I rather just go to a bike shop. 

I think that is also a sign of the desperate times to be honest.

If Covid hadn't hit us there would likely be the same 'buddy buddy' vibe, but with things as they are, people are turning everything into money if they can.

I don't think one can say 'Bikehub has changed' more than one can say that economics and situations have changed.

I still give stuff away for trades, pass things on for free, pay it forward etc. For me, nothing much has changed except that more people are using the classifieds and things tend to either sell super fast or sit around forever depending on whether it is overpriced, trash or a legitimate deal.

People in general are salty these days. Life is considerably more taxing for most of us than it was 18 months ago and it shows everywhere, in all aspects of life.

Edited by Jewbacca

Free market principle.

If someone super lowballs me for an item you can bet they are not getting a reply. If someone offers me close to the asking price and wants to pick up same day he'll get a pretty swift reply.

This whole dibs, compulsory reply, more rule culture is completely unnecessary - if a seller and a buyer find common ground a deal will happen. If not it won't. We don't need rules/etiquette guides/rants etc.

Very much this. Although once I did politely tell a prospective buyer off (who had a good trader rating) who came in with an absolute lowball offer. On top of it the tone and language was like they were doing me a favour.

On the flipside of the OP's issue though is also people making contact either as a buyer or seller, more often a buyer.

And then ghosting. That's just naai, but dealing with the bike and media industry that just seems to be par for the course bad manners and disrespect.

I'm sorry to say but some of the buyers DONT/CANT READ!!!! Ill say in my advert "Please WhatsApp or phone me only" yet they'll send a private message on The Hub that I only see a week later as I don't come onto The Hub often. Reason being is that I'm a busy guy and cant constantly be checking The Hub for messages.

Edited by Jimmy 2.0

I'm sorry to say but some of the buyers DONT/CANT READ!!!! Ill say in my advert "Please WhatsApp or phone me only" yet they'll send a private message on The Hub that I only see a week later as I don't come onto The Hub often. Reason being is that I'm a busy guy and cant constantly be checking The Hub for messages.

You don't need to check the hub often, you get sent and email notification that someone has sent you a private message and what it says!

Very much this. Although once I did politely tell a prospective buyer off (who had a good trader rating) who came in with an absolute lowball offer. On top of it the tone and language was like they were doing me a favour.

On the flipside of the OP's issue though is also people making contact either as a buyer or seller, more often a buyer.

And then ghosting. That's just naai, but dealing with the bike and media industry that just seems to be par for the course bad manners and disrespect.

Dude ... get over it already ... the R850.00 I offered on the X0 equipped evil following with full FOX factory and ENVE wheels was a very fair and market related offer!

• 3 months later...

Sent a dude 3 messages this week , no negotiations just that I'll take it 

He's been online multiple times since i sent the first one but hasn't bothered t0 reply , makes me moerse lus to rate him accordingly 

24 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Sent a dude 3 messages this week , no negotiations just that I'll take it 

He's been online multiple times since i sent the first one but hasn't bothered t0 reply , makes me moerse lus to rate him accordingly 

name?