386EVO BB options

Butterbean

This is more wishful than anything, but, im running an FSA 386EVO Crankset (48/32) that came standard on my sequoia. The frame itself is a 68mm BSA thread.

Now, this is a stock arrangement, and while I'm happy with the gearing and not fussed about the weight, it is a gravel bike and spends a lot of time offroad and in the dirt.

It recently began making a clicking noise on pedaling, and upon inspection, the rubber seal on the drive side of the BB has somehow come loose, and curled up on the inside of the crank. Why its so soft and flimsy, i wont know, but its annoying. First, the crank needs a pin spanner for removal, but secondly, this BB from FSA (386megaEvo, not the be confused with the MegaExo type) doesn't look like its got great dirt repelling abilities.

So, anyone know of options for a replacement BB that wont break the bank? It doesn't seem like the FSA version is very readily available in SA.

Obviously I'd love to replace with a Shimano type compact crankset instead but cant right now... So any ideas?

This is more wishful than anything, but, im running an FSA 386EVO Crankset (48/32) that came standard on my sequoia. The frame itself is a 68mm BSA thread.

Now, this is a stock arrangement, and while I'm happy with the gearing and not fussed about the weight, it is a gravel bike and spends a lot of time offroad and in the dirt.

It recently began making a clicking noise on pedaling, and upon inspection, the rubber seal on the drive side of the BB has somehow come loose, and curled up on the inside of the crank. Why its so soft and flimsy, i wont know, but its annoying. First, the crank needs a pin spanner for removal, but secondly, this BB from FSA (386megaEvo, not the be confused with the MegaExo type) doesn't look like its got great dirt repelling abilities.

So, anyone know of options for a replacement BB that wont break the bank? It doesn't seem like the FSA version is very readily available in SA.

Obviously I'd love to replace with a Shimano type compact crankset instead but cant right now... So any ideas?

Hi - these BB's are available.  Here is the link.

https://capegrosports.co.za/collections/bbs-adapters/products/fsa-bb386-crank-to-bsa-frame-thread-steel-bearings

Will send you a PM also. 

Pretty sure the pin spanner is only to remove the extractor cap, the crank itself comes off with a 10mm hex.

Yeah that's correct - just annoying to need the tool for one part on one bike. Its a first world complaint for sure... Hahaha

Yeah that's correct - just annoying to need the tool for one part on one bike. Its a first world complaint for sure... Hahaha

But you do not need the pin spanner to remove the crank, just a 10mm allenkey.

But you do not need the pin spanner to remove the crank, just a 10mm allenkey.

correct - the self extracting cap shouldnt need to come out ever unless it needs replacing.

So, massive shout out to Mark at Capegro, who reached out and helped me with this. Turns out a dust seal has gone kaplooey, but otherwise, thankfully, the bearings are still 100%. Marks got me right with replacements and technical help! Thanks Mark and the local FSA Team! Great experience!