Grabbing your torches and pitchforks

Butterbean

So, through the couple of hot threads posted and interacted with recently - whats your take on rating someones classifieds profile based on someone else's experience?

Personally, it feels a bit like thw twitter cancel culture creeping in, as you never know for sure, until proven, what the facts are from both sides...

I get that negatively rating could keeo people safe, but it could also ruin sellers reps without proof... Sure, they could just start another profile, but it seems a bit of a *** move to just rate them badly off of heresay...

Made my feelings know on this in 2 threads and perhaps people should read the bikehubs terms of use and I quote...

Ratings and feedback should only be submitted in the event that an agreement to transact was made. We reserve the right to remove feedback which relates to negotiations or communications where there was no agreement and/or a transaction did not take place.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/docs/terms_of_use

i.e. only the seller and buyer should rate one another, no one else no matter their opinion on it

Edited by shaper

i.e. only the seller and buyer should rate one another, no one else no matter their opinion on it.

Agree completely with that rule . Rating some on hearsay is like saying " i know a guy who bought from someone in the Cape, i think, and he was not happy with the item ." 

So, through the couple of hot threads posted and interacted with recently - whats your take on rating someones classifieds profile based on someone else's experience?

Personally, it feels a bit like thw twitter cancel culture creeping in, as you never know for sure, until proven, what the facts are from both sides...

I get that negatively rating could keeo people safe, but it could also ruin sellers reps without proof... Sure, they could just start another profile, but it seems a bit of a *** move to just rate them badly off of heresay...

Yebo @Butterbean

Otherwise the rating system is unreliable and an inaccurate picture of the reputation value or credibility of a seller.

Shouldn't be done and disappointed to say I did it last week

Yea, my bad too i guess.

I am, and was right from start, willing to update/fix it after a resolution.

It is there for all to read so i wont defend it any further.

And in the context of THAT thread, the seller openly admitted fault - eventually.

Would he have without all the negative press and pressure? Hard to say isn't it. Going by his messages, He was reluctant to say the least.

Did WE do it the right by using ‘gorilla tactics’ and a loophole/flaw in the platform? Probably not and we probably shouldn't have.

But we did and It is what it is now.

post-64325-0-50894200-1612818729_thumb.gif

Edited by MORNE

So yesterday I see a clip of some talking heads on MSNBC in 'Murica calling for drone strikes on all Trump supporters. You know, like they did with terrorists in Afghanistan and Iraq...

Is this what society has descended to?

I've lost all hope in humanity. No wonder folks are ready to burn anyone at the stake they don't agree with...

Yea, my bad too i guess.

And in the context of THAT thread, the seller openly admitted fault - eventually.

Would he have without all the negative press and pressure? Hard to say isn't it. Going by his messages, He was reluctant to say the least.

Did WE do it the right by using ‘gorilla tactics’ and a loophole/flaw in the platform? Probably not and we probably shouldn't have.

But we did and It is what it is now.

Having followed THAT thread, I don't think there would have been a resolution without some torches and pitchforks. "Luckily" the guy had a professional reputation to uphold, and probably realized the bad press on the platform is bad news for his business. But if he was an unknown individual with 0 posts  or ratings that could just make a new profile, I'm not sure the outcome would have been the same. 

The rating system is good, but only if the ratings are reliable, so mob shaming isn't a win. But I don't think 1 bad rating is harsh enough sometimes. I think these nasty situations should result in some people getting a little box icon next to their profile. Almost like on twitter where some people are verified as being the real celebrity, maybe some people should be verified as real boxes. At the end of a thread on an issue, there could be a poll where everyone that's participated can vote box or not-box for the parties, and then the guilty gets "branded" for a while. Almost like an internal small claims court where justice is served by the community in the form of being verified as a box for an amount of time decided by the jury.  

Or.... just bring back the classifieds comments. I'm sure the boxes will be adequately identified  :ph34r:

Having followed THAT thread, I don't think there would have been a resolution without some torches and pitchforks. "Luckily" the guy had a professional reputation to uphold, and probably realized the bad press on the platform is bad news for his business. But if he was an unknown individual with 0 posts  or ratings that could just make a new profile, I'm not sure the outcome would have been the same. 

The rating system is good, but only if the ratings are reliable, so mob shaming isn't a win. But I don't think 1 bad rating is harsh enough sometimes. I think these nasty situations should result in some people getting a little box icon next to their profile. Almost like on twitter where some people are verified as being the real celebrity, maybe some people should be verified as real boxes. At the end of a thread on an issue, there could be a poll where everyone that's participated can vote box or not-box for the parties, and then the guilty gets "branded" for a while. Almost like an internal small claims court where justice is served by the community in the form of being verified as a box for an amount of time decided by the jury.  

Or.... just bring back the classifieds comments. I'm sure the boxes will be adequately identified  :ph34r:

Problem is sometimes there is a lot of boxes on here, wont mention any names ...   :whistling:

On the rating system, one should be allowed to give a "zero", to be forced to give a "one" in some circumstances is just wrong.  If "zero" service, respect or decency was delivered, a "zero" rating is in order.

All my dealings so far with buying & selling was great with the exception of this one dwis and then he had the audacity to give me a bad rating even before I rated him.

At the time I really wanted to give him a zero or even negative, but that's not possible  :wacko: .

Edit

Edited by TheoG

Yea, my bad too i guess.

Snip

Snip wrong Morne

Edited by Quagga

Really ??? where in the whatsapp did you say that?

You told him to wait till Monday to speak to him, then you did not contact him then you said he is playing BOSS and told him to sell the fork 

You went as far as telling him that if he was "cleaver"

Stop living in your dream world and posting sh1ite contradicting yourself

on the other thread you said sorry you stuffed up and now you say you were willing to make it right?

You so caught up in that thread you have the wrong Morne!!! 

You so caught up in that thread you have the wrong Morne!!! 

You beat me to the punch ...   :rolleyes:

You fighting with the "good" Morné @Quagga

Edited by TheoG

For me, Bike Hub Pay is the answer.... if we're willing to support this platform there will be no such incidents.Yes, you pay a percentage for the service, but it's way better than paying "school fees" and not to mention the stress associated with the process.