UCI rules

Chris_

What has happened that the UCI is setting these restrictions suddenly? 

Super tuck, and now riding with your forearms resting on the top of your handlebars ('invisible aero' I see it being termed) also banned.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Super tuck, and now riding with your forearms resting on the top of your handlebars ('invisible aero' I see it being termed) also banned.

Last year during one of the Grand Tours Reinhardt Janse van Rensburg posted on Twitter that he thought riding in the TT position on the road bike whilst in the peloton was dangerous for a number of reasons and he received many mixed thoughts from alot of the Pro peloton and obviously from all of Twitterlandria. Just very surprised that UCI are banning riders from doing things which have not caused any accidents(as yet) as apposed to taking the responsibility and starting with things which are actually theirs to take care of like safer barriers for a start.

Next up they going to ban the drops and we all going to be riding with straight bars.

So hear me out here.

If no-one does it henceforth, there is no need to do it by anyone. Right?

You do the super-tuck to gain an aero advantage, but the group you are chasing or is chasing you, is also employing the supertuck/invisible aero. So there is no advantage if both groups are doing it in equal measure, or even more specifically, there is no disadvantage if both groups don't do it in equal terms.

Looking back at the Armstrong days, you could only win by doping, because everybody doped.

The current supertuck is such that, you need to supertuck, because everyone is doing it.

Or am I mistaken?

PS. I think it is bollocks for the UCI to dictate this kind of thing on rider position, but the nett-effect could be Zero if everyone plays ball.

I saw some comment from UCI saying that while the pro's are not crashing there are amateurs that see the pros doing it and try it and crash.

Then they may as well ban just about all sport all together.

Danny Macaskill and Viola Brand is then banned from riding altogether.

What's next - no more Sagan wheelies?  Don't exceed 40kph on a lekker downhill?

The last time I invisible-aero-tucked my bike had cables coming out of the side of the shifters. So I felt fine holding on to one of those with half a finger - now it obviously wouldn't have helped fokol if something happened but it was a tiny kind of safety-blanket feeling. 

Now though if I rest on the bars, it's not long till Joburgs stunningly surfaced roads and the fear get me back up.

So hear me out here.

If no-one does it henceforth, there is no need to do it by anyone. Right?

You do the super-tuck to gain an aero advantage, but the group you are chasing or is chasing you, is also employing the supertuck/invisible aero. So there is no advantage if both groups are doing it in equal measure, or even more specifically, there is no disadvantage if both groups don't do it in equal terms.

The current supertuck is such that, you need to supertuck, because everyone is doing it.

Or am I mistaken?

PS. I think it is bollocks for the UCI to dictate this kind of thing on rider position, but the nett-effect could be Zero if everyone plays ball.

The supertuck deserved to be banned on aesthetics alone. I 100% support the irrelevant UCI on this.

The last time I invisible-aero-tucked my bike had cables coming out of the side of the shifters. So I felt fine holding on to one of those with half a finger - now it obviously wouldn't have helped fokol if something happened but it was a tiny kind of safety-blanket feeling. 

Now though if I rest on the bars, it's not long till Joburgs stunningly surfaced roads and the fear get me back up.

So, the theory that it's banned because it might cause amateurs to crash is justified?

I can just imagine the carnage if some mid-pack muppet tries this at the Aurgust.

Edited by TNT1