Breedtsnek / Maanhaarrand road condition

HO

Anybody cycled Breedtsnek recently? Would like to know what condition the road is in. I’m not worried about the gradient but rather the road surface condition. Had a bad fall with broken clavicle recently so trying to stay away from the technical stuff for a few weeks.

I would imagine with all the rain we have had recently, it will be pretty bad.

Maybe someone has ventured out there recently that can provide first hand feedback.

I rode there just over 2 weeks ago, before the block of rain. The condition is the worst I have seen it, and I ride there quite regularly, surely worse now. Nothing to be too worried about though, so long as you don’t moer it going down. If you take it easy there is nothing to be afraid of.

It's in pretty poor shape on both sides. Washed out right down to the bedrock in many places with loose gravel that makes it difficult to get traction on the climbs. There's also no clear line anymore. It's definitely rideable on an MTB but you will need to be really careful if you're recovering from a broken collarbone.

post-43324-0-16212100-1612874293_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

I miss that ride. I rode it solo countless times, convinced I would never be bike jacked because nobody is dumb enough to try steal a bike out on that terrain. 

When I first started riding breedts I used to cruise down to the sheebeen at speeds of up to 75kmh, but as years went by the top speed decreased as the terrain got worse

4 hours ago, sirmoun10goat said:

I rode it solo countless times, convinced I would never be bike jacked because nobody is dumb enough to try steal a bike out on that terrain. 

I think I read some people saying it is not safe to ride solo in that area, so you've always been safe there?

Can one still park at the garage/farmer or better to take the landy to the top and park there?

Hi did this yesterday on the gravel bike.

Parking. Noble village was awesome. no charge and had some coffe afterwards.

from there and back 60km

Road condition. we did one side only.

I pushed twice as my gearing not set up for the loos rock towards the last 2 bends.

It is hard as always but caution i needed dependent on kill lvl

Climb is ok with very rocky section. was more stressed coming down. lots loose bits waiting to catch you.

Edited by Spy007

4 hours ago, Job said:

I think I read some people saying it is not safe to ride solo in that area, so you've always been safe there?

I reckon it is pretty safe, certainly not dodgy. I ride there often from Rustenburg, have it done it mostly solo and I have never had an issue. There are also always other people riding it, and bikers. 

Years ago when I had my 4x4 I was very excited to hit up Sani Pass...
I wasnt so impresed when I got to the top and realised Breedts nek was actually more challenging!
😀

22 minutes ago, Mojoman said:

Years ago when I had my 4x4 I was very excited to hit up Sani Pass...
I wasnt so impresed when I got to the top and realised Breedts nek was actually more challenging!
😀

Driven up and over Breedts before with a Suzuki Grand Vitara on slightly deflated road tires. Low range and diff lock dragged me through safely. Safe to say I had the AC on ice cold because this boy was sweating! 

In fact…. sweated more than my last trip up there with the bike  

3 hours ago, Spy007 said:

more pics

Snapshot_15.png

Snapshot_16.png

Snapshot_17.png

Snapshot_18.png

Snapshot_19.png

Snapshot_20.png

Wouldn’t even ride it on my mtb rigid fork, less so on a gravel bike, both sides is just horrible, full suspension all the way.