Frosty

Team Time Trial race  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Preferred team size

• 4-6 person team
    • 6-8 person team
    • 8-10 person team
    • 12 person team

I'm doing a poll on the preferred team size for a team time trial race, taking into account social distancing rules and regulations, and the limited size of heads at an event. Mass participation events are most certainly under pressure and unlikely to take place until the pandemic is behind us.

Assuming a team trial event, similar to the MalutiD90 and the DC, would be the way forward, what size team would you deem ideal for one of two distances (100Km and 160Km)?

Type your reply in the comments section below, remember to subscribe to this channel and click on the bell icon to get notifications each time new content is posted.

I think you can have a few options when looking at an event like this.

You have the Ultra TTTs like MD90 and DC. These are usually a big build up, teams train specifically for it and its usually made a total weekend vibe. Im not sure how this will fit in with the current restrictions. I also think a lot of people don't consider doing it because of logistics and the difficulty.

You can maybe look at Long TTTs of say 100km (Normal Road race distances for SA). This can reduce team sizes to 8, take away the need to feed and can become a nice competitive series if a few routes are done around Gauteng. More people would be willing to take on the challenge as well and clubs can recruit riders easier. Riders will probably handle it the same way as any other road race (planning and logistics wise)

Short TTTs (30km to 50km) could be a good thing to look at as well. It opens the event up to more levels of fitness. It makes the competition stronger because of the shorter harder effort and has a lot of the same benefits of the Long TTTs. Teams for this could be anything between 6 to 8 riders and Pro (Elite) teams can even be encouraged to use TT bikes.

There's a lot more that I can add to this, but that's enough for now.

I'd seriously consider an Individual TT event. (I know, not the question at hand, sorry)

Can be a flat course or a hill-climb. Outright winners and winner per weight class, no prize money, just the title of "category winner"

Don't know the feasibility of something like that though?

I'll extend on the initial post.

A mass participation event like the one I am associated with cannot go ahead unless all restrictions around social distancing returns to pre-covid normality, except if the oganiser wants to run with 500-1000 participants. The costs to organise an event with traffic officials, and the full setup of marshals, hospitality, barriers, road marking/signage, race numbers, timing, online entry fees, etc., is not viable for 1000 people, and the entry fee will need to be increased to cover the expenses and make profit for their chosen charity(ies).

However a Team TT gives the flexibility to be able to have 1000 riders without all the infrastructure required for a 100Km mass participant type race. This means the costs will be lower, and entry fees can be kept reasonable too. Certain expenses are compulsory, no matter the event, eg. medical, sanction fees, rider levy, etc. 

I'm trying to get a feel the ideal team size for a 100Km and 160Km distance, where the bulk of the team needs to finish together, yet still have flexibility to use riders to pace them, then drop off.

In that case I would say do a Short-Med route (Less traffic to pay) 60km to 80km.

Keep teams between 6 and 8.

Fastest teams will then probably finish in 1h20 and slow teams should not take longer than 2h30.

Encourage the interclub aspect of this and maybe also different categories (Mens elite, mixed, Ladies vets, buffalo, and amateur. 

In that case I would say do a Short-Med route (

Encourage the interclub aspect of this 

Remember when we had an entire interclub challenge?

Plenty of those routes they used were smaller circuits, like up to 15-20km long, you just do a few laps depending on the category.

Edited by TNT1

A longer route, at regular intervals, means an organiser can get more people on the route. 

Enter, pay, pitch up on race day and be ready 20-30 mins before your start time, warm up, ride/race, go home - results and prize money will be EFT'd. Marshals at intersections only need to close it for the time it takes a small group to pass through.

Lap racing, like interclub, won't get around the restrictions on social distancing. And yes, I know the numbers back then were minimal. I'm referring to an organised mass participation event that needs to change to suit current times. Ride for Sight is cancelled, Comrades have cancelled, and a number of others will be in jeopardy too. 

Really cool Idea. 

My suggestion would be to start short and extend as you go along finishing off with the longest one a 100/120km

Teams of 4 make it exciting and able to create more of a team vibe because you need to work according to your weakest rider.

Teams of 8 make it faster but you will have more disposable riders and harder to keep teams together because teams of 8 will be harder to arrange logistically. 

then a big category would be to have a TTT with road bikes and then a separate one for teams with only TT bikes. Gives the TT bikes their own category and then road bike teams are not at a disadvantage.

I'd seriously consider an Individual TT event. (I know, not the question at hand, sorry)

Can be a flat course or a hill-climb. Outright winners and winner per weight class, no prize money, just the title of "category winner"

Don't know the feasibility of something like that though?

Event one in a series of hill climb ITTs is next week Saturday in Stellenbosch.  :clap:

In that case I would say do a Short-Med route (Less traffic to pay) 60km to 80km.

Keep teams between 6 and 8.

Fastest teams will then probably finish in 1h20 and slow teams should not take longer than 2h30.

Encourage the interclub aspect of this and maybe also different categories (Mens elite, mixed, Ladies vets, buffalo, and amateur. 

This...

60-80km. 

But smaller teams 4-6 - which makes it easier to get riders of similar strength together