2019 Trek Madone SL6 disc vs 2021 Cannondale SystemSix

Conni

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go Cannondale if I had to choose either but I also wouldn't buy a new bike that weighs over 8.5kg. That's what bikes weighed 20 years ago. For that kind of money I want it <6.5kg

I would go Cannondale if I had to choose either but I also wouldn't buy a new bike that weighs over 8.5kg. That's what bikes weighed 20 years ago. For that kind of money I want it <6.5kg

would not listen to this. very old way of thinking.

now days the aero gains far outweigh weight penalties. 

there are enough studies out there to verify this -> google is your friend.

i'd take a heavier aero bike any day of the week over a lightweight non-aero bike.

RSA has very few races with long climbs or extremely steep climbs where weight will have a massive impact.

our shorter punchier climbs are purpose built for a aero build and even if the get steep its never for a long period of time

would not listen to this. very old way of thinking.

now days the aero gains far outweigh weight penalties. 

there are enough studies out there to verify this -> google is your friend.

i'd take a heavier aero bike any day of the week over a lightweight non-aero bike.

RSA has very few races with long climbs or extremely steep climbs where weight will have a massive impact.

our shorter punchier climbs are purpose built for a aero build and even if the get steep its never for a long period of time

Mitigated by the fact that most races in SA are group events not TTs and you will spend most of your time in a group which nullifies the aero gains.

Weight, aero, blah blah blah - the truth is that most riders are not in the category where one or the other will make a meaningful difference to your race time/training speed.

Buy the bike that you like the most and will feel coolest riding. 

Aero gains trump weight gains up to a gradient of 7%.

Lighter isn’t always faster.

Mitigated by the fact that most races in SA are group events not TTs and you will spend most of your time in a group which nullifies the aero gains.

Weight, aero, blah blah blah - the truth is that most riders are not in the category where one or the other will make a meaningful difference to your race time/training speed.

Buy the bike that you like the most and will feel coolest riding. 

Riding in a group doesn't nullify aero gains. Unless you sitting 8th wheel all day everyday what about riding across a split maybe or just going down hill. These modern aero bikes are slippery.

Riding in a group doesn't nullify aero gains. Unless you sitting 8th wheel all day everyday what about riding across a split maybe or just going down hill. These modern aero bikes are slippery.

or if you find yourself riding in the gutter or on the leading edge of a cross wind

Sitting behind one person offers around a 30% saving in wind resistance.

Wind resistance is 75% body and 25% bike.

They may be slippery as hell but they're only responsible for a small fraction of overall wind resistance.

A superultra aero bike will reduce your overall wind a few % at most. 

Aero gains trump weight gains up to a gradient of 7%.

Lighter isn’t always faster.

Bearing in mind you're going a minimum speed where you can actually take advantage of the aero benefit.

Aero isn't always faster.

Bearing in mind you're going a minimum speed where you can actually take advantage of the aero benefit.

Aero isn't always faster.

Wait you guys don't ride at 42kph? To save 5 watts an hour blah blah blah #Amateurs

I road a new generation aero bike with 60mm deep wheels.I hated descending in the wind with it or having trucks come past me.They might be slippery from the front but side winds are nerve wrecking.Would hate to own one in PE or Cape Town[emoji15]

Wait you guys don't ride at 42kph? To save 5 watts an hour blah blah blah #Amateurs

You should watch that GCN vid about how slowly the pro's train, and why. Why being the important takeaway.