Series Land Rover

Spokey

Greetings

For a reason that defies logic I wish to purchase a Series 3 Land Rover or 2a. Certainly good mechanical condition, although general tinkering at home is a given I know.

Any enthusiasts who can give me advice out there.........apart from don’t do it ha ha.

Bug has bitten after UAE desert drives. And no, it was not just a holiday rovermance!

Am open to 88 or 109 truck/ station wagon.

Thanks!post-52292-0-49254200-1613112448_thumb.jpeg

I can see this thread having some funny comments about getting a dog for company for the breakdowns to the oil leaks.

BUT I am also keen to see you purchase and how it progresses. Good luck.

PS: rather get a cruiser............... :clap:

Nice, will be following with interest as I am looking at getting myself an older car and an old Landy happens to be one of them.

Good luck!  Have a soft spot for Series Landys too - learnt to drive in one while on family holidays in Botswana in the late 80's and in varsity a bunch of us piled into one and took a trip from Cape Town to Swaziland and back in '95. Amazing memories! 

If you're going to tinker on it you will need non-metric tools, if you don't have those already...  And be prepared for old bolts well and truly seized in place! 

PS If you take the plunge on a Series II or III, I have a Haynes workshop manual in dire need of a Land Rover to look after :lol: that you can have...

I bought a 2001 Defender 90 TD5 last year. and i love driving it.
I also looked at series but i want to do harder 4x4 and decided against the leaf sping setup and old petrol engines.

I would still like a series 2 or 3 just for kicks if i had money and space

Greetings

For a reason that defies logic I wish to purchase a Series 3 Land Rover or 2a. Certainly good mechanical condition, although general tinkering at home is a given I know.

Any enthusiasts who can give me advice out there.........apart from don’t do it ha ha.

Bug has bitten after UAE desert drives. And no, it was not just a holiday rovermance!

Thanks!attachicon.gif637EDC97-6521-4582-A3C7-D7ADAD662AAA.jpeg

I would prefer the Series 3, first one with syncro's on all gears, so no need to double de-clutch.

I have fond memories of slaloming the 109 truck on dirt roads in Hwange National Park, once I had coaxed it into life that is.

My neighbour at the time restored a short wheel base 3 from a pile of rust into a great open topped jeep, complete with a mad-max home made roll cage with lion proof mesh doors / roof for him to take into the national park, open vehicles with no doors not being allowed. Spent a good few afternoons there helping him fix it up.

The thing about the Series L-R's is that you have to love the journey, because it will sure take a long time to get anywhere. Those old 2.5 (I think) petrol engines are no powerhouses. An old colleague collected L-R's of all types, he loved his series, but he got tired of the time taken to get to anywhere where he wanted to go. He then had the 110 with the BMW 2.8i engine, which was pretty sprightly but it drank his wallet dry. He then went Disco 3 & 4, although he still had a Series 1, 2 or 3 for kicks.

Is Rob Leimer (somewhere in the North of Joburg - Honeydew) still going? He had a business of rebuilding Landies and selling them - you could walk around his plot for hours looking at all shapes and sizes of the old-timers, some of them pretty as pins, some of them...well not so much.

Greetings

Exciting. I had a (reasonably) unique Series 3S (I think). It was an Ex SADF R6 pickup. Might have some of the detail wrong there. 

It had a 2.6l petrol straight 6 engine that drank petrol like nothing I've ever seen before or after . The cylinders were incredibly close together so I became adept at changing head gaskets and our claim to fame was that we never managed a long trip without a breakdown on the way there and the way back. 

Loved it though and would love to get another series Land Rover, although my wife is not in agreement at all.

Greetings

Had a Series 3.Pleased that's out of my system.

Had a Series 3.Pleased that's out of my system.

Yeah, I fear I may think the same way a little ways down the line.

Good luck! Have a soft spot for Series Landys too - learnt to drive in one while on family holidays in Botswana in the late 80's and in varsity a bunch of us piled into one and took a trip from Cape Town to Swaziland and back in '95. Amazing memories!

If you're going to tinker on it you will need non-metric tools, if you don't have those already... And be prepared for old bolts well and truly seized in place!

PS If you take the plunge on a Series II or III, I have a Haynes workshop manual in dire need of a Land Rover to look after :lol: that you can have...

Ha ha, yes, an excuse for more tools. I am looking more at the 109 pick up. I have sold the idea to the Missus with an 88 though. In any event the machine is intended for pottering about the gravel tracks and 4x4 trails in my area. Nothing overly hectic. Thanks for the offer of the manual, lets see how this goes. Edited by Spokey

All still in the “expression of interest” phase.I have a lot to learn about these old machines.

I do want to get the best I can afford as I want as much reliability as possible........cue much laughter!

I am only back in SA mid March before I can even start looking at vehicles. In the meantime the various FB groups and searching the sales sites has been entertaining.

If I find a goody in Josie or further north just getting home to Hoekwil will be an expedition in itself.......

My brother had a few projects on the go to which he fixed to a point and sold on to fund his vw splitscreen bus. One was a series 1 he bought from a friend. That was just the chassis and body that was used as a chickencoup.

I picked up the following from him:

Get an old car you really like, they're equally expensive to fix

Something unique may have better investment value

You need to find a machanic that is willing to work on the vehicle AND be hands on. They all tend to have issues at some point.

Patience

Good luck.

I'd look for a series 1, 2 or cj2a jeep (mj would be better), even an Austin Champ for something different.

Ha ha, yes, an excuse for more tools. I am looking more at the 109 pick up. I have sold the idea to the Missus with an 88 though. In any event the machine is intended for pottering about the gravel tracks and 4x4 trails in my area. Nothing overly hectic. Thanks for the offer of the manual, lets see how this goes.

You too shall be inducted into the world of SAE and Whitworth; 1/4" W somewhere between 1/2" and 9/16" (bizarre); the unreachable 7/16" bolts of the rusted firewall and the corroded in place bleed screws of the brake cylinders that shall require the special 7/16" spanner, the Salisbury diff, the oil bath air cleaner, the extraction of recalcitrant shackle bushes and steering arms, the dark and greasy art of setting up swivel pin bearings, the glorious dubbining of leather hub seals, the re lining, piston extraction and adjusting of drum brakes, the replacement of corroded welsh plugs then she's a runner, feet burning and right arm frozen, big grin on face, you shall go on safari with all your tools, plenty of No. 8 wire, 5 litres of oil and 10  of water (for a short trip anyway) or great woe shall befall you .

You shall rest in peace, too buggered to lie awake thinking of what other improvement can be made for indeed, they are infinite.

Go in fourth my son (well on downhills only, begging for the mystery of the ephemeral Fairey overdrive), but remember, always park on a hill in case a run start is needed, but never on a fancy driveway where oil stains may bring wroth upon your weary head. You shall be comforted by the envy of others and the LR wave you exchange with fellow addicts.

You too shall be inducted into the world of SAE and Whitworth; 1/4" W somewhere between 1/2" and 9/16" (bizarre); the unreachable 7/16" bolts of the rusted firewall and the corroded in place bleed screws of the brake cylinders that shall require the special 7/16" spanner, the Salisbury diff, the oil bath air cleaner, the extraction of recalcitrant shackle bushes and steering arms, the dark and greasy art of setting up swivel pin bearings, the glorious dubbining of leather hub seals, the re lining, piston extraction and adjusting of drum brakes, the replacement of corroded welsh plugs then she's a runner, feet burning and right arm frozen, big grin on face, you shall go on safari with all your tools, plenty of No. 8 wire, 5 litres of oil and 10  of water (for a short trip anyway) or great woe shall befall you .

You shall rest in peace, too buggered to lie awake thinking of what other improvement can be made for indeed, they are infinite.

Go in fourth my son (well on downhills only, begging for the mystery of the ephemeral Fairey overdrive), but remember, always park on a hill in case a run start is needed, but never on a fancy driveway where oil stains may bring wroth upon your weary head. You shall be comforted by the envy of others and the LR wave you exchange with fellow addicts.

Man, this is good......perhaps I should just stick to my motorcycles ha ha.......nah!

I bought a Land Rover Discovery 4 many years ago and heard ALL of the jokes. 

Hand on heart, it was the best vehicle I have ever owned.

I miss that car.

Will be watching this thread closely as a bystander!