MTN ! WTF ! What to do

eddy

The MTN  signal at my house as always been a bit dodgy, but recently there is literally nothing; calls to me just go straight through to voicemail.

I now mostly use WhatsApp on Wi-Fi, but I still need my phone to work.

Once my contract expires I can move to Vodacom (OK signal) but what do I do in the meantime ?

I accept that MTN can't cover the whole country and have to prioritise their role-out. But surely after 26 years they should have gotten around to the  Northern suburbs of Johannesburg ?

Contact the MTN helpdesk and ask them to enable Voice over Wifi on your contract. That way you can at least still get calls while in wifi range at home.

Sometimes it's just like that with certain networks, at my inlaws MTN is perfect but Vodacom really battles, which is strange considering its in the middle of town.

Vodacom is rubbish in the middle of Bryanston. They refuse to come and check and will not let my wife out of her contract even though they have failed to honour their end of the contract which is a signal and a service she can use. MTN have come to a number of houses in the area after one call to their help desk including installing a booster. Not sure why you are having so much of an issue. Maybe you are getting teh bum deal my wife is getting but from the competition...... Go figure.

Good luck and hope you resolve your issues.

I have poor signal in the Cape Town CBD. Vodacom provided a free booster. 

Edit: more City Bowl than CBD.

Edited by Blackbeard

I have poor signal in the Cape Town CBD. Vodacom provided a free booster. 

Edit: more City Bowl than CBD.

Vodacom did the same for me years ago. But you have to be on a business package

Vodacom did the same for me years ago. But you have to be on a business package

My contract has always been in in my personal name. Professional regulations. I must have slipped through the cracks.

Re-thinking it, I think you are correct as at some point my wife's assistant arranged things so Vodacom probably offered the booster on my wife's corporate package.

Edited by Blackbeard

My mom also got a booster installed at her house a few years back after threatening to move away from Vodacom, no problems ever since.

I think both networks have collapsed to some degree.

I often travel from the Eastern Cape to Durban for work, sometimes along the bottom of Lesotho, sometimes along the top through the Golden Gate.

Vodacom used to be mostly fine but in the last year I have 10 dropped calls for every one that works and for about 70% of the route I barely have any signal. I have tried different handsets as well and I literally only have signal when I'm in the main street of a town.

I tried to switch to MTN but after having no success with their sales department for two weeks I decided to stick to the devil I know.

I don't care for 5G if they don't have a basic working 3G/LTE network.