Bjorn881

Seeing as there are no Maxxis DHR II or Agressor tyres in 29er 2.3" in the country I'm looking for feedback on the following two tyres as a rear tyre on an enduro/trail bike! I'm also open to other recommendations!

Most of my riding is done on dry hard pack, rock gardens, loose rocks and roots. Predominantly in Tokai as well as Hoogekraal, Contermanskloof, Jonkershoek etc. Grip is important but I still want the tyre to roll fast! I'm currently running a DHF upfront!

I was looking at the Specialized Eliminator 29x2.3" with a grid trail casing and T7 rubber compound as well as the Schwalbe Hanz Dampf 29x2.35" in a super trail/super gravity casing and the addix soft rubber compound! Would love to hear your experiences and feedback with these tyres?

Used Onza Aquila and Ibex in the past. Good grip and very durable. The Ibex is an ok roller but not bad at all.

Using a Magic Mary and Hans Damph combo now. Hans is on the rear. Also good grip but I felt like the Onza combo rolled faster.

Can’t comment on the durability of the sidewalls. Never had issues.

The new continental mountain king is super nice!! I am using it on the rear paired with a De Baron projekt up front. These tyres replaced WTB Trailboss, a very good rear tyre as well and A WTB Convict. I think the convict is a bit too aggressive for our trails. But thats my opinion. Also the WTB tyre weighed over a kilo each where as the contis are under a kilo each. If that makes a difference to you. The conti's have nice thick sidewalls as well.

I have used wtb, maxxis, scwalbe, kenda and onza. The contis are by far my favourite, followed my the WTB mentioned above. Dont think I will buy another maxxis tyre in the near future either. Then again thats just me. Tyres are personal preferences. Once you find what works for you, you wont chan

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Look at a Spez Ground Control 2.6 Grid. I run one at the rear instead of an Eliminator.

With the GC’s mild tread pattern, you can run a 2.6 and still have fast rolling rubber, but the extra volume gives just that extra bit of confidence through the gnar.

I can’t really add much value as I don’t have much to compare it against, but I have been riding with an Eliminator Grid Trail 2.3 29’ for about four months. Most of the riding in Tokai and Constantia Greenbelt.

I have had no issues with the tyre, seem to roll ok, no punctures and haven’t noticed anything that would suggest I should look elsewhere when replacing.

I know that is not much help, but it something on the tyre you ask for input on.

I'm using the Hanz Dampf [rear] and it works perfectly. Much better suited for my riding than a Nobby Nick. Magic Mary upfront ftw.

Should add using - 29 x 2.35 Addix Orange / Soft. Speed / Blue and speedgrip / red will roll quicker but don't have the toughness of the orange and purple variants.

Edited by keithbe