Be Kind, Stop and Help

OVERDRIVE

Guys when you can see someone has a flat on a route, and you’re driving a van stop and help. Unlikely they can give you Covid19 if they at the back of your van. Found a gent trying to walk it across Malibongwe because nobody wanted to help. Doesn’t matter that he didn’t have tools or a replacement. Stop, help, move on.

I can't see this ending well. If you need to stop then do so. Crime is significant in this country. Could be someone with a catty trying to nick your wheels. If he had no spares then I can't help. Also I don't have a van. Oh yes and I live in Cape Town. Finally I don't want covid. Any version. Especially the 19 one.

Fine balancing act .... helping others without endangering you and your family .....

December we drove past a two cyclists.  One was removing the wheel, and we noted the other rider was a lady ..... We circled the block, parked and I walked up to them ....

It was actually sad to see the fear in their body language .... until I offered to help.

Sad that this is the reality we live in.  And still, we do evaluate the situation, and often do stop to offer help.

Fine balancing act .... helping others without endangering you and your family .....

December we drove past a two cyclists.  One was removing the wheel, and we noted the other rider was a lady ..... We circled the block, parked and I walked up to them ....

It was actually sad to see the fear in their body language .... until I offered to help.

Sad that this is the reality we live in.  And still, we do evaluate the situation, and often do stop to offer help.

Nice one! Man was pushing the bike, just couldn't let him pull it all the way to Broadacres. He jumped in the back, we got to Mellow Velo, life was good. 

I can't see this ending well. If you need to stop then do so. Crime is significant in this country. Could be someone with a catty trying to nick your wheels. If he had no spares then I can't help. Also I don't have a van. Oh yes and I live in Cape Town. Finally I don't want covid. Any version. Especially the 19 one.

I hear you...but surely we can assess case by case? Middle of a large fourway stop, pushing a bike, helmet off surely cant pose a threat to me from the back of the van...

Here in cape town there are white bakkies and polos that offer to take you bike!

Actually, on that. On stolen bikes there's a lot of bike jackings, that's scary. Keep safe down there lads. 

:eek:

All jokes aside. I pray your post wakes something up in fellow riders to stop and help.

I’ll climb atop a horse that’s high and proudly proclaim that my hands and my tools are always available on the trail to fellow riders.

More and more however i see riders with their own spares and tools. In that case a little conversation goes a long way to lighten the mood.

I've been helped twice, once in Bedfordview when i had a puncture, ran out of tubes, and had to face a walk from Jeppe Qandam to symhurst.. Brilliat guy with his kids stopped and got me home. Then, in Somerset west, heading out for an afternoon ride, new bike, didnt realise the sealant had dried up in the tyre, got a puncture, and also couldn't get home. Was walking to the mall to catch an Uber and an awesome guy stopped, fitted my mtb into his small car, and got me home.

Ive returned the favour twice, too... Karma is real.

Some time ago I stopped to help a guy fixing a flat heading up to Llandudlo, as I had a track pump in the car.

Turned out he was the stranger I had run (and walked) the last 40km of a Comrades with many years earlier.

Haven't seen him since

A couple of December’s ago, we hired some bikes for our visiting family, the hired bike for my Nephew was a POS, as the valve stem hole would chaffe through the tube, first deflated in Melkos, replaced tube, second on the way back, could not repair because of it position and no more tubes. Started the walk home, nephew on my wife’s bike riding back and forth, brother in law riding home to fetch the car, wife and I walking with the POS hired bike. Really cool youngster and his mom, saw us, made a u-turn, loaded the bikes in the bakkie along with us and took us back home to Dolphin Beach - He was a cyclist himself. Really cool being helped at times like that.