Be Kind, Stop and Help

OVERDRIVE

About 18 months ago...I snapped my chain at the pallet factory going back to broadacre's and within a sec the group I was riding with was in the dust. A guy in a bakkie saw me picking up my chain and stopped. I had the tools and a chain link so could have done a roadside repair, but he offered to take me to where I was parked. 

Dude even took his Mtb and put in the bakkie's bin and put my road bike on his bike carrier.

A truly kind gesture that went a long way....cycling is a great sport with great ppl.

**obviously if the situation looks dodgy the make a quick u-turn.

I stop and help wherever I can, going to actually make a point of keeping more spares in the car, always ask on the trail or road when riding past if they need help by. Foreign tourist in Paarl in Dec, lady cycling on her own in the Cradle this afternoon. We really do need to foster a culture of helping fellow cyclists.

Not a bicycle sorry but yesterday on motorised two wheels we passed an elderly guy and his wife looking at two flat tyres from a massive pothole.  We turned at the nearest service station but by the time we got back a Metro Police van had stopped and we still stopped to see if anything was needed.  The Metro police guy had removed the one wheel, put on the skinny spare and was taking it to said service station for repair while his female partner waited with the couple.

Finally, our tax dollars (well, ZAR) at work.

Allways stop and help, one day you will also need help.

Two weeks ago I found two gents from Centurion who both had had 4 punctures each, and were stranded on the noitgedacht road, i offerd them a ride to a safer place, but they had already phoned a friend.

If cyclists could learn to place thier helmets on the road next to thier bikes, if they need help, the same as motorcylists do.

Fortunately the couple of times I needed "rescue" due to flats, my wife came to pick me up.  While riding myself, I always at very least ask if help is needed.

Even if I'm stranded myself, I'm very hesitant to accept help from just anyone, not easy to know who you can trust.

To be honest, when I'm driving I'm less inclined to stop and offer help, something to work on  ... :-)

Not a bicycle sorry but yesterday on motorised two wheels we passed an elderly guy and his wife looking at two flat tyres from a massive pothole. We turned at the nearest service station but by the time we got back a Metro Police van had stopped and we still stopped to see if anything was needed. The Metro police guy had removed the one wheel, put on the skinny spare and was taking it to said service station for repair while his female partner waited with the couple.

Finally, our tax dollars (well, ZAR) at work.

Good to hear.

Also not cycling related but coming home from the shop there was an elderly gentleman who had fallen in the road (went for a walk and had to jump out of the way of a speeding car and had fallen in the process.. Said speeding car just drove off) there the poor guy was lying in the middle of the road.. The lady who lives right there had come out... I stopped and it was clear he had hurt his hip quite badly he was in a lot of pain and unable to move.. Parked the car in such a way to avoid another speeding car riding over him while lying in the road.. I wasn't overly impressed with the first ambulance service we phoned after 20min still a no show.. Then we phoned the local security company who sent out their ambulance.

Shame the gentleman is recovering okay and fortunately hadn't broken his hip.

I was cycling up Tiekiedraai once and just past the Hillcrest gate managed to suck the derailleur into the rear wheel after snapping a spoke at the bottom of the hill by Durbanville Hills Wine farm. I heard the ping ping ping and thought nothing of it...until I had to stop and shoulder the bike to walk back to Hillcrest from where I planned on calling the missus to come fetch me.

Next thing a lady in a double cab Toyota stopped and offered to help me. She asked where I stayed and said she was heading that direction and I must load up and ride with.

I loaded the bike into the back and she took me all the way home. I offered for her to stop about 700m away and I would walk the rest as it was out of her way, but she insisted to take me to my front door.

I had a lekker chat with her and her daughter on the way, and they were heading to the beach for some rays. Good to know some folks are still willing to help a complete stranger, but in saying that, it is prudent for 2 ladies on their own to make sure they do not endanger themselves while at it.

I once got a flat about 8kms from home on the side of beyers naude. I didnt take any tools with me, because I'm a slow learner. 

Now, Because I was stupid enough to leave home without tools, I was more than happy to take my punishment, and learn a lesson, but there was a kind fellow cyclist who stopped and insisted he takes me straight (to my) home. Did not want anything in return.

I try and pay kind acts forward, this is the way.

I once cycled passed a car standing on the side of the road when the driver shouted 'please, help me'. I was cycling girl-alone and this was about 30km out of town. Decided to give the driver the benefit of the doubt and turned my bike around. For a minute or two it did feel like I was doing the stupidest thing in the world. Driver said it felt like an epileptic fit was coming on and could I please take her to the nearest hospital. Loaded my bike in the back of the car and then drove her to hospital. Was rewarded with a really nice bunch of flowers  :thumbup:

I once cycled passed a car standing on the side of the road when the driver shouted 'please, help me'. I was cycling girl-alone and this was about 30km out of town. Decided to give the driver the benefit of the doubt and turned my bike around. For a minute or two it did feel like I was doing the stupidest thing in the world. Driver said it felt like an epileptic fit was coming on and could I please take her to the nearest hospital. Loaded my bike in the back of the car and then drove her to hospital. Was rewarded with a really nice bunch of flowers  :thumbup:

If this were a competition (which it's not) you're winning. Nicely done. I'm sure that made a world of difference in this poor lady's life. Hats off to you.

Allways stop and help, one day you will also need help.

Two weeks ago I found two gents from Centurion who both had had 4 punctures each, and were stranded on the noitgedacht road, i offerd them a ride to a safer place, but they had already phoned a friend.

If cyclists could learn to place thier helmets on the road next to thier bikes, if they need help, the same as motorcylists do.

I did not know this was a thing, now I do.