Wifi router for home

travisza

We have Fibre with Mweb. I need a new wireless router as the original Mweb one has finally given up the ghost.

Will any unit do? Otherwise what are your recommendations?

I use the stock standard router from my ISP, then have an ASUS router that is customized to suit my VPN settings (requires an OpenVPN for Client setting).

I'm personally a big fan of TP-Link, and currently use a DECO M4 Mesh Wifi setup at home, and before that I used the AC1350 Dual Band router, but would probably opt for the C6 AC1200 if I were to buy now and I wasn't going for Mesh setup.

Do you get seamless switching from your devices between the deco units?

Do you get seamless switching from your devices between the deco units?

I do. Since installing these units in our duplex I've not had a single connection issue, and I run multiple IoT devices on the network as well. Previously I had the AC1350 with a WiFi extender and that was an absolute pain.

Thanks all. I'm super impatient and after having to mess around and restart with my old router 10 times yesterday while trying to watch EPL I ordered the TP link this morning.

Good thread. I'll probably also need a new wifi router so I'll check these mentioned ones out.

I've also been resetting the thing 10 times a day for the last week or so, after not having a single problem for 3 or 4 years. Its very frustrating.

Then this morning suddenly the router won't even find the the internet connection no matter what I do. Its difficult for a non-tech-savvy chap to isolate what the problem is but I'm close to chucking the router out the window.

ugh...

Good thread. I'll probably also need a new wifi router so I'll check these mentioned ones out.

I've also been resetting the thing 10 times a day for the last week or so, after not having a single problem for 3 or 4 years. Its very frustrating.

Then this morning suddenly the router won't even find the the internet connection no matter what I do. Its difficult for a non-tech-savvy chap to isolate what the problem is but I'm close to chucking the router out the window.

ugh...

This sounds exactly what I have been experiencing...so I am throwing it out the window and ordering a new one.

Consider the NETIS brand of routers.

Super strong signal - better than any tp-link or mainstream brand I have ever owned

All the features you need from a management point for a home setup.

Cheap enough to take a chance on something new.

https://www.firstshop.co.za/products/netis-system-wf2710-wi-fi-5-wireless-dual-band-2-4ghz-and-5ghz-fast-ethernet-white-96423?_pos=4&_sid=c3f2eef0b&_ss=r

that's really really cheep

that's really really cheep

I've been running two of them for 2 years now, rock solid. So can vouch for them in terms of reliability.

To me the only stable and decent wifi is using a system with a controller and PoE based access points.

Unifi is always my first choice based on cost and ease of use.

Once you have a setup like that then wifi issues are a thing of the past.

Its also really easy to add more devices if you want to extend coverage later. That and the UFO's on your ceiling look pretty cool :)

Thanks all. I'm super impatient and after having to mess around and restart with my old router 10 times yesterday while trying to watch EPL I ordered the TP link this morning.

I have been experiencing the same. It went from being just a pain to a totall embarrassment yesterday when I had 7 people waiting for me to reboot when I could not connect to my own zoom meeting.

So, I am interested to know if the new router solved your issues. I had always just assumed it is my line that’s crappy.

Just got myself the Huawei mesh units. Best decision I have ever made. I get seamless switching between the 3 units and i havent dropped a zoom call since. If you have the budget I would go mesh. 

Edited by l4y3rcake

I'm personally a big fan of TP-Link, and currently use a DECO M4 Mesh Wifi setup at home, and before that I used the AC1350 Dual Band router, but would probably opt for the C6 AC1200 if I were to buy now and I wasn't going for Mesh setup.

+1 for a mesh setup.

I use 2x Samsung Smartthings Wifi hubs to run my mesh system. Not as fast as the Deco as they are a few years old now, but they have Z-wave and Zigbee capabilities so work well if one wants to create a smart home.

Samsung_SmartThings_WiFi_three-pack-980x

The transition between access points in the mesh is petty seamless and they manage whether a device is on 5GHz or 2.4GHz, depending on what that device needs based on range etc.

I'm not sure of availability in South Africa, but I believe SA uses the same Z-wave frequencies as Europe so one could possibly be sourced from there.