GCN+

Mntboy

Some lekker news if you're into women's racing: The Healthy Aging Tour will be broadcast by GCN+. It will be available for all territories, which is fantastic and will give the women some much needed television coverage.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why I haven’t tried using my VPN connection to watch the Paris-Nice, only I will know. The replays are working, which don’t work when I’m logged in without the VPN.

I will try the live stage tomorrow, and give feedback.

a2e02c8d529d1580eb19231f363497b9.jpg

ab34aeeccb72350b690a903b96c3aec8.jpg

Edited by Frosty

Forgot to post yesterday.mine worked the first time and not again

working now :)

Edited by Jakkals.

big fan!  I've been an avid follower of GCN from their early days.  70% of what I've learned of riding and taking care of my bike, right up to building up my bikes is from GCN.  SO GCN+ is taking that quality to a new level.  Enjoying the races and docs thoroughly

Hi All - Been reading this with great interest. Especially since this weekend is Milan San Remo and seems no DSTV coverage (maybe we will see a few Marriott ads to compensate). As per GCN website - Milan San Remo will be covered by them in South Africa.  So - I face the question - do I subscribe to GCN?? From my research it seems (please do correct me where I get it horribly wrong):
1. GCN+ is mostly developed for a mobile phone only. You can download it to your tablet but they do not guarantee that it will work all that well;
2. You do NOT need a VPN as South Africa is on their list - however not all countries get to see the same races. So, if you do want bigger variety get a VPN set up, and become a Europian. You are likely to get MUCH more content;
3. Whenever DSTV broadcasts an event live (even if just the last hour or two), you are unlikely to get it on South Africa GCN as DSTV owns the broadcast rights;
4. You can Chromecast your phone to your TV and as such then watch it on the big telly;
5. You can watch GCN on a browser - not sure if the built in Smart TV browser will work though; Anyone knows? 
6. Not sure if GCN will work on an Apple TV - then I can watch directly on big telly. Anyone knows?

Anything important I am missing? 

Re: 1 and 4 - my iPhone to chrome cast gives us a really good experience on our tv

Re: 5 - they have some pretty frustrating bugs in the browser version e.g. if you’re not allowed to watch the main race but should be allowed the highlights it doesn’t work in browser, only in iPhone app

Sorry on 5 I’m talking about computer browser. You are correct on VPN and SuperSport points too

Hi All - Been reading this with great interest. Especially since this weekend is Milan San Remo and seems no DSTV coverage (maybe we will see a few Marriott ads to compensate). As per GCN website - Milan San Remo will be covered by them in South Africa.  So - I face the question - do I subscribe to GCN?? From my research it seems (please do correct me where I get it horribly wrong):

1. GCN+ is mostly developed for a mobile phone only. You can download it to your tablet but they do not guarantee that it will work all that well;

2. You do NOT need a VPN as South Africa is on their list - however not all countries get to see the same races. So, if you do want bigger variety get a VPN set up, and become a Europian. You are likely to get MUCH more content;

3. Whenever DSTV broadcasts an event live (even if just the last hour or two), you are unlikely to get it on South Africa GCN as DSTV owns the broadcast rights;

4. You can Chromecast your phone to your TV and as such then watch it on the big telly;

5. You can watch GCN on a browser - not sure if the built in Smart TV browser will work though; Anyone knows? 

6. Not sure if GCN will work on an Apple TV - then I can watch directly on big telly. Anyone knows?

Anything important I am missing? 

6 - I airplay from phone to apple TV seamlessly

Ok - I made the jump - just subscribed to GCN (my luck missing the special  - but 1-Year subscription still less than 1-Month of DSTV). On my tablet (iPad) (slight disappointment) it is just a mobile phone view, i.e. it is just a mobile app. You cannot get full screen video. On my phone - looks beautiful. Went to telly and via Airplay just played the live streaming on my telly - worked perfectly! And it is looking good! 1080P. So I am really satisfied. Just wish I could get tablet to go full screen. 

Have had a really good streaming experience thus far with the app.  Baffles me that a relatively new comer to the world of live sports streaming can produce a user experience far superior to that of DSTV, who have been doing so (trying) for years.  

During Strade Bianche I only experienced one interruption, which was actually mentioned by the commentators, and thus was a feed issue and not an app issue.  DSTV streams often drop and then when relaunching, usually end up a few minutes delayed from the actual live feed.

Have had a really good streaming experience thus far with the app.  Baffles me that a relatively new comer to the world of live sports streaming can produce a user experience far superior to that of DSTV, who have been doing so (trying) for years.  

During Strade Bianche I only experienced one interruption, which was actually mentioned by the commentators, and thus was a feed issue and not an app issue.  DSTV streams often drop and then when relaunching, usually end up a few minutes delayed from the actual live feed.

I'm not taking anything away from their achievement and its a great service but GCN is owned by Eurosport who are in turn a subsidiary of Discovery, Inc.. So my guess is that they are probably piggybacking on some established streaming technology.