GCN+

Mntboy

Hi All - Been reading this with great interest. Especially since this weekend is Milan San Remo and seems no DSTV coverage (maybe we will see a few Marriott ads to compensate). As per GCN website - Milan San Remo will be covered by them in South Africa.  So - I face the question - do I subscribe to GCN?? From my research it seems (please do correct me where I get it horribly wrong):

1. GCN+ is mostly developed for a mobile phone only. You can download it to your tablet but they do not guarantee that it will work all that well;

2. You do NOT need a VPN as South Africa is on their list - however not all countries get to see the same races. So, if you do want bigger variety get a VPN set up, and become a Europian. You are likely to get MUCH more content;

3. Whenever DSTV broadcasts an event live (even if just the last hour or two), you are unlikely to get it on South Africa GCN as DSTV owns the broadcast rights;

5. You can watch GCN on a browser  

2. My VPN allows me to watch events blocked in SA, like Paris-Nice, and other events DStv seem to have the monopoly broadcast rights for.

3. Correct, not even the replay. However, a VPN will allow it.

5. I use the following links on my laptop browser:

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2. My VPN allows me to watch events blocked in SA, like Paris-Nice, and other events DStv seem to have the monopoly broadcast rights for.

3. Correct, not even the replay. However, a VPN will allow it.

5. I use the following links on my laptop browser:

The whole issue on VPN is confusing the *** out of me. That can be a debate on its own. I am considering opening a topic just on VPN and related questions as it is coming up more and more. I have a few questions that I am just not getting answers on - not even via interweb - and I do consider myself quite IT literate - just not necessarily when it comes to networking

• 1 month later...

More than a month later. Still very happy with my GCN+ subscription; in fact now even happier. 

Could not agree more - using NordVPN and watching the Tour of the Alps as I am typing this. Perfect quality - could not be happier! Ok I am lying - if Chris Froom was only doing a bit better I would be even more happier. Ah well - love all the cycling!!

Could not agree more - using NordVPN and watching the Tour of the Alps as I am typing this. Perfect quality - could not be happier! Ok I am lying - if Chris Froom was only doing a bit better I would be even more happier. Ah well - love all the cycling!!

now you made me log in...and I have a mountain to finish ;)

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2021 at 7:02 PM, Frosty said:

Why I haven’t tried using my VPN connection to watch the Paris-Nice, only I will know. The replays are working, which don’t work when I’m logged in without the VPN.

I will try the live stage tomorrow, and give feedback.

a2e02c8d529d1580eb19231f363497b9.jpg

ab34aeeccb72350b690a903b96c3aec8.jpg

which vpn are you using?

There’s the Grenadiers and the team that looks like Grenadillas ????????

Edit: If you know how the Spanish pronunce words ending with “dilla” then Grenadillas sounds like Grenadier.

8928395D-6480-4DDC-A27F-FAE20E9280FE.jpeg

Edited by Frosty

• 7 months later...

Headsup, the subscription auto-renewals are rolling thru and they come to about R719 for the year. Caught some people off-guard. Best to cancel it beforehand instead of going through the schlep to get the money returned.