GCN+

Mntboy

So I have subscribed to GCN+ and must admit that I am pretty happy about it. So the racing content might not be overwhelmingly great but I sure it will definitely grow as time marches on. It is, as Frosty noted on the The Classics thread, something that breaks SS's hold on the SA TV rights but more crucially gives us access to them without needing a costly DSTV subscription. The thing that I am most enjoying about GCN+ is the doccies that they have available. I have so far just watched the one on Orla Walsh and it was a very enjoyable watch. There's plenty more including a number of bike packing adventures and one on the Norseman - which sounds like a super harsh version of an Ironman Triathlon but the visuals just looks absolutely amazing. And that's just scratching the surface of what they're offering with more doccies and interviews to be added on a regular basis. I really reckon it's worth the money I spent on it.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have subscribed to GCN+ and must admit that I am pretty happy about it. So the racing content might not be overwhelmingly great but I sure it will definitely grow as time marches on. It is, as Frosty noted on the The Classics thread, something that breaks SS's hold on the SA TV rights but more crucially gives us access to them without needing a costly DSTV subscription. The thing that I am most enjoying about GCN+ is the doccies that they have available. I have so far just watched the one on Orla Walsh and it was a very enjoyable watch. There's plenty more including a number of bike packing adventures and one on the Norseman - which sounds like a super harsh version of an Ironman Triathlon but the visuals just looks absolutely amazing. And that's just scratching the surface of what they're offering with more doccies and interviews to be added on a regular basis. I really reckon it's worth the money I spent on it.

Seriously considering signing up, and it's 50% off only up to end Feb. 

The doccies seems the most attractive to me, as I'm not particularly interested in the smaller races. 

Seriously considering signing up, and it's 50% off only up to end Feb.

The doccies seems the most attractive to me, as I'm not particularly interested in the smaller races.

Dude you wouldn't be wasting money if you sign up. The current doccies alone makes it a good purchase. They have interviews with Canciellara, Andy Schleck and Ernesto Colnago plus the stuff I have mentioned before.

As for the racing content, I'm confident that that will grow over time and that more races will be added to the list. I'm just glad there's somebody challenging the monopoly that SS holds on sports and in particular cycling.

costly dstv subscription?? there are online ways around that one

i doubt the honchos at supersport have cycling support and eyeballs on their first page of priorities, outside of three july weeks.

as they are the only bidder for cycling content i figure they get it dirt dirt dirt cheap, and are happy to use it to fill out time as cecil nurse and marriot cover the costs.

but ja, despite that i'd be in to GCN+ if there wasn't already so much awesome free stuff on youtube to fill my leisure eyeballs

costly dstv subscription?? there are online ways around that one

i doubt the honchos at supersport have cycling support and eyeballs on their first page of priorities, outside of three july weeks.

as they are the only bidder for cycling content i figure they get it dirt dirt dirt cheap, and are happy to use it to fill out time as cecil nurse and marriot cover the costs.

but ja, despite that i'd be in to GCN+ if there wasn't already so much awesome free stuff on youtube to fill my leisure eyeballs

Costly in the sense that if you only want a DSTV subscription to watch sports and pretty much nothing else then the approximately R900 pm is a bit steep. More so given that DSTV doesn't offer a sports only package to my best knowledge. Remember that subscribers to GCN+ will be paying less than half that for a full year for this month, but even if they purchase it next month it's still considerably cheaper than a DSTV one. And while GCN+ is cycling specific all those doccies and interviews and science/tech stuff goes beyond what a broadcaster like DSTV would offer which adds to the value of the product imho. As you mentioned there are other ways of watching the cycling and/or other sports but some of those stray into moral and ethical gray area's a bit too much for me imho.

Excuse my ignorance. How do you subscribe to GCN+ ? I cant find it in the Google Play Store. Want to download to Tablet.

Also, is Half price for a full year or just for month of Feb.

Thanks

Just signed up for R359.99 via the Apple store.

Just followed the instructions from the GCN site.

Seems like they pick up on NordVPN as I can’t watch the TDF relays.

Excuse my ignorance. How do you subscribe to GCN+ ? I cant find it in the Google Play Store. Want to download to Tablet.

Thanks

It's a subset of the GCN app. So download the GCN app, enter race tv and the link to subscribe will be below the first race it shows. Alternatively you can subscribe on the GCN website. The half price offer is for a year's subscription (24.99USD v 50USD) but only being offered until the end of February. If you subscribe for a year in March you'll be paying the full price.

I tried to sign up about a week or so back and it told me it was not available in this country

I signed up yesterday with no hassles.

Costly in the sense that if you only want a DSTV subscription to watch sports and pretty much nothing else then the approximately R900 pm is a bit steep. More so given that DSTV doesn't offer a sports only package to my best knowledge. Remember that subscribers to GCN+ will be paying less than half that for a full year for this month, but even if they purchase it next month it's still considerably cheaper than a DSTV one. And while GCN+ is cycling specific all those doccies and interviews and science/tech stuff goes beyond what a broadcaster like DSTV would offer which adds to the value of the product imho. As you mentioned there are other ways of watching the cycling and/or other sports but some of those stray into moral and ethical gray area's a bit too much for me imho.

if you're paying for dstv premium just for cycling content alone, then GCN+ is a nobrainer

It's a subset of the GCN app. So download the GCN app, enter race tv and the link to subscribe will be below the first race it shows. Alternatively you can subscribe on the GCN website. The half price offer is for a year's subscription (24.99USD v 50USD) but only being offered until the end of February. If you subscribe for a year in March you'll be paying the full price.

Anyone know if we we going to be constrained as to what we can see from an SA log in? or will we be able to see the same as UK subscribers?

I was thinking about this yesterday. 

Needed to workout the exchange rate but since it's about R360.00 for 1 year I think that I'm going to sign up.

Thanks

You subscribe via the GCN app, with an in-app payment - there is no other way to pay (currently). Their website shows both the App Store and Play Store on their website for International countries.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.playsportsnetwork.tourmalet&hl=en_ZA&gl=US

Anyone know if we we going to be constrained as to what we can see from an SA log in? or will we be able to see the same as UK subscribers?

Frosty posted a link to what we will be able to see in the classics thread. It won't be all the major races iirc but there will be highlights for them.

I see on their support page, they mention I can use a browser? Anyone tried that?

My experience with the Eurosport app and a VPN was unsuccessful - I wonder if the GCN+ in a browser with a VPN will keep me happy in July?