Good tyre for 29'er XC ?

JohnnyReggae

Any thoughts on a Vittoria Barzo/Saguaro combo 29 X2.25?

I'm currently running this combo and don't like it. They feel heavy/sluggish when climbing. 

They might be a little bit more grippy in corners, but I'm going back to Maxxis Aspen 2.25 front and back when this set is done.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I might get shot down but i have never had an issue with crossmarks, i like them because they roll fast, always have, maybe thats why they standard issue on so many bikes. I have also not had flats with them. I ride the 2.25's. 

I once put on 2.35's Icons, i could immediately feel they were more grippy but slower for sure. Felt allot slower on long climbs, also due to the wider 2.35 size, it does make a difference. For me, and my fitness level, i want as fast a rolling tyre as possible, and possibly as light as possible.

A good combo for me would be aspen 2.25 in front and cross mark at the back, but as i said, everyone has there own preferences.   

Tyre opinions are many and varied...!

Opinion of one... remember its XC (tyre on the left is REAR and on the right is FRONT)

Spez - FastTrack/Ground Control OR GC on both wheels works very well

Maxxis - Ikon/Ardent <- personal choice

Pirelli - Scorpion 'H'/Scorpion 'S'

Vittoria - Saguaro/Barzo or double Barzo

Conti - RaceKing/X King

Schwalbe - Racing Ralph/Racing Ray or Rocket Ron or even better the Nobby Nic

Most have run the above at some point and for XC you wont go wrong. Crossmarks are bulletproof but heavier than most and thats not where you want weight for XC!

Edited by BigToe

I might get shot down but i have never had an issue with crossmarks, i like them because they roll fast, always have, maybe thats why they standard issue on so many bikes. I have also not had flats with them. I ride the 2.25's. 

I once put on 2.35's Icons, i could immediately feel they were more grippy but slower for sure. Felt allot slower on long climbs, also due to the wider 2.35 size, it does make a difference. For me, and my fitness level, i want as fast a rolling tyre as possible, and possibly as light as possible.

A good combo for me would be aspen 2.25 in front and cross mark at the back, but as i said, everyone has there own preferences.   

ahah it all depends of what you do really. If you only ride gravel roads or if you do a lot of single track / technical climbs-downhills you'll need different tyres, although tyres like the rekon race can do everything pretty well, but not for a very long time ;)

I'm currently running this combo and don't like it. They feel heavy/sluggish when climbing. 

They might be a little bit more grippy in corners, but I'm going back to Maxxis Aspen 2.25 front and back when this set is done.

At 840gr per tyre they are heavy hence they feel heavy.

the Pirelli are 720 gr, livelier, gripper for longer into their life and seal very well

At 840gr per tyre they are heavy hence they feel heavy.

the Pirelli are 720 gr, livelier, gripper for longer into their life and seal very well

Flip I had no clue they were actually THAT heavy!! Just saw that bucket special a few months ago and decided to give it a go..

You clearly ride very straight roads - they are terrible for cornering.

They do however, last forever! Great commuter tyres

I am based in CT, ride Tokai etc and are using a Maxis Forekaster on the front for a bit more grip and it is great. Better than the Barzo's etc that I had before. I did go full out last year and put on a Minion DHF. While that is tons of fun on the downs, it is a hack to get up hills and sounds like a Land Rover on tar. On the back, I would leave on what you have until they worn out. Once they have worn out, pop on an Icon, Mezcal or  anything that rolls well, with a little extra grip if you lean it over.

Edited by Baracuda

Maxxis ikon rear 2.35

Maxxis ardent race 2.35 front ... you will thank me.

Thats quite a footprint for the back. I typically run a 2.1 at the rear gives more than enough cornering and braking grip for me, and the rear is easier to 'catch' if it goes walk about!

Edited by BigToe

Any thoughts on the schawlbe racing ray and Ralph combo

I started using this combo in 2.35 format during last year's summer, an absolutely amazing package, super fast rolling and surprisingly grippy - especially so when considered from my real-world XC requirement perspective. Needless to say, I've not had a puncture/sidewall tear issue to date, despite some gnarly conditions in the woods.

During winter I've switched to the nobbly nic setup in 2.35 - a very sturdy option with fantastic grip in the wet and even more so when bombing through tree roots, mud etc. - also haven't experienced any issues with them although one can definitely feel the additional drag when riding with a fast bunch. It's however a super small price to pay for the added grip and durability - this also shouldn't be a a factor as soon as I'm less dik.  :thumbup:

Edited by Charlie600

Thats quite a footprint for the back. I typically run a 2.1 at the rear gives more than enough cornering and braking grip for me, and the rear is easier to 'catch' if it goes walk about!

2.35's will change your life.... Coupled with a 30mm ID rim. Its the biggest change i have felt on a bike since disk brakes.

2.35's will change your life.... Coupled with a 30mm ID rim. Its the biggest change i have felt on a bike since disk brakes.

Especially with the accompanying reduction in pressure requirements - even the suspension seem to benefit from this! :)

Edited by Charlie600

I can vouch for Maxxis Crossmark II, Recon Race and Ikon. Had them all and no issues.

Width I'd suggest at least 2.2