[Event] Medihelp Amohela MTB Classic

gavin@shiftsm.co.za

Event Name: Medihelp Amohela MTB Classic
When: 24 April 2021 - 25 April 2021
Where: Clarens Vilage, Freestate
Category: MTB

The Medihelp Amohela MTB Classic delivers 2 days of adventure in one of SA’s most loved villages for all levels of MTB enthusiasts as the race offers various entry options suited to your fitness. The 2021 edition of the race happens over the long weekend of the 24th and 25th of April 2021. This provides the perfect opportunity for you to enjoy the thrill of the race along with a relaxing long weekend with your friends or family.

The race takes you along well groomed single trails on private farms and nature reserves all in the beautiful foothills of the mighty Maluti mountains. This is the only time that you as a rider will be able to experience these places.

The altitude takes attitude…

Simply choose the event that is best suited to your riding fitness level, but be warned… The village of Clarens is around 2100m altitude making it just that little bit hard for you, this fact also plays into those looking for altitude training.

Go to Event Page

• 2 months later...

Arrived in Clarens yesterday from JHB. Guys keep a safe eye on the road the potholes are bad in parts.

Arrived in Clarens yesterday from JHB. Guys keep a safe eye on the road the potholes are bad in parts.

What route did you take?

What route did you take?

According to GPS it went fastest route N3/R714/R26 it is the R714 the road is trashed mayby R26 was/is better route

Go on N3 to Warden. Then right to Bethlehem

By far the best road without any potholes. Last time I used that thete was some roadworks between Viliers and Warden , but no real dekay

Edited by Block

Go on N3 to Warden. Then right to Bethlehem

By far the best road without any potholes. Last time I used that thete was some roadworks between Viliers and Warden , but no real dekay

Yea sevral routes to take. Fastest not always best especially at night.

Maybe someone has a GPX file for best route.

Hope you guys packed your climbing legs, I did it in 2019 and it was lekker tough. Great race with fantastic scenery. Good luck folks

Also going! Coming from JHB and was thinking of taking N3 to Villiers, then R26. Never travelled to Clarens before and I drive a small car. If this route is a mess, please let me know which alternatives are better. GPS wants to take me on N1 to Vanderbijlpark, Sasol, Heilbron, Petrus Steyn and then at Reitz on R26.

Edited by Wimmas

I've driven both routes before, and the R714 from Warden to Bethlehem is MUCH better and safer. Adds a couple of kilometers to your route, but makes up for it in relatively smooth road and no major potholes. Almost trashed my previous car doing the full R26 route through Reitz.

Good luck everybody, try to get in a small ride around the town in the evening to acclimate somewhat to the altitude. Although us Joburgers have an inherently higher EPO than coastal dwellers, parts of the race are over 2000m which is serious altitude

Hope you guys packed your climbing legs, I did it in 2019 and it was lekker tough. Great race with fantastic scenery. Good luck folks

You weren't joking about needing some climbing legs, sheesh, but what a lekker event....

You weren't joking about needing some climbing legs, sheesh, but what a lekker event....

Agreed! Did the small mountain and day 1 was proper climbing. Never seen so many push their bikes or take a rest half way up or at the top. Second day was very fast paced.

Had a great weekend in Clarens with quite a few G + T's with a lot of good food!