At which point is your bike no longer original?

Stockman

Some of you may have seen the Trigger and his Broom episode on Only Fools and Horses 

and this got me thinking as to where my Lefty is relative to Trigger's Broom.

All that is from the original bike purchased in 2013 is: The Lefty Fork, The seatpost Clamp, The front Hub and the Crank.

Replacements include: Frame, Rear Shock, Rims & Spokes, Brakes, Handle Bars, Stem and Steerer Tube, Dropper Post, Saddle, Brakes, 12 Speed Shimano, Grips.

All that is from the original bike purchased in 2013 is: The Lefty Fork, The seatpost Clamp, The front Hub and the Crank.

Replacements include: Frame, Rear Shock, Rims & Spokes, Brakes, Handle Bars, Stem and Steerer Tube, Dropper Post, Saddle, Brakes, 12 Speed Shimano, Grips.

I'd say if the frame is replaced it's pretty far from the original bike.

For me it is the second you put your personal touch on it.

Maybe as simple as a set of grips or a new saddle?

Or should it be customised to the point of being completely unique? 

Some of you may have seen the Trigger and his Broom episode on Only Fools and Horses 

and this got me thinking as to where my Lefty is relative to Trigger's Broom.

I love fools and horses.

On the topic, think if you would struggle to match it to the catalogue. 

Original: Keeping black bar tape, just new. Adjusting the saddle height, slamming stem. same colur saddle. Tyres

Change: Crank, level of components, wheels, frame bars.

On the topic, think if you would struggle to match it to the catalogue. 

Original: Keeping black bar tape, just new. Adjusting the saddle height, slamming stem. same colur saddle. Tyres

Change: Crank, level of components, wheels, frame bars.

bars are also one of those grey areas.

I changed my bars for a set of carbon bars, slightly more aero but that not why I changed them.

If you were to look at a catalogue my bike would look very original.

But, if I changed for an integrated bar etc. then it would look different.

so grey area.

What is a bike anyway, it’s just a collection of parts. What constitutes original is just what collection the product manager came up with when they sold the bike. And only if you bought a complete bike.

A bike is what you make it!

Some of you may have seen the Trigger and his Broom episode on Only Fools and Horses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAh8HryVaeY and this got me thinking as to where my Lefty is relative to Trigger's Broom.

Yours definitely isn’t original anymore [emoji3]

bars are also one of those grey areas.

I changed my bars for a set of carbon bars, slightly more aero but that not why I changed them.

If you were to look at a catalogue my bike would look very original.

But, if I changed for an integrated bar etc. then it would look different.

so grey area.

Mine has white carbon bars on. Very very east rand. But, this bike came specced with carbon bars, I just changed them to white ones.

Edited by TNT1

I would say changing anything seen as consumables will not take away from Original.

Grips, chains, cassettes, saddle, cables even pedals and tyres are consumables.

I would say changing anything seen as consumables will not take away from Original.

Grips, chains, cassettes, saddle, cables even pedals and tyres are consumables.

How about replacing the crank with one that includes a power meter?

How about replacing the crank with one that includes a power meter?

Wont you put the original back when selling?

My Bike was pretty original, even in it's original state.

But it started with a frame purchase, and then a fork, and a collection of donated/second hand parts from all over.

Then the upgrades/changes began. Handlebars from Rapide, Cranks from my old 26er. New wheels from rapide and a spez saddle. From then the only items I have changed are tyres, chain and a front and rear sprocket.

It's almost time for new grips as well.

If I can somehow start this process again with a Rapide el Tigre frame, it would be awesome...but alas.