Garmin Forerunner 235 screen replacement

Chainyank

Anyone had experience replacing a garmin forerunner screen. My 235 is cracked.

Is the garmin workshop your only option? What is the cost normally?

Anyone tried importing one and fitting it yourself?

I have searched YouTube and the removal and fitting looks straight forward. It’s just about finding the part.

I phoned garmin and the don’t give you an estimated cost. You have to send it in to get a quote. But that takes 3 weeks.

From my experience with Garmin over multiple queries over the years (and one in Jan this year), they are very quick to assess. Has never taken more than 3 days.

I would consider sending it in.

They also tend to charge around R1800 for many different types of repairs. I doubt your screen replacement will be less than that. So maybe consider that point before you send it in.

If you're based in Jhb and can walk it in, that's better.

From my experience with Garmin over multiple queries over the years (and one in Jan this year), they are very quick to assess. Has never taken more than 3 days.

I would consider sending it in.

They also tend to charge around R1800 for many different types of repairs. I doubt your screen replacement will be less than that. So maybe consider that point before you send it in.

If you're based in Jhb and can walk it in, that's better.

Hardly economical is it.. Probably easier to just upgrade.

Thanks for the replies.

I’m in Cape Town. Garmin told me to drop off at a sportsmans warehouse. So I went to one and they said average time to get a quote is 3 weeks.

Garmin SA wanted to charge me R3600 for a replacement Fenix 5x as my current 5x's barometer is broken. 

What kills me is on alixpress the official garmin back cover of the watch with a new barometer and hr sensor is 22 dollars. Garmin SA does not repair the watch only replace.

My watch is 3 years old, but still, when you spend over R11k for watch and a standard feature can't even last 3 years and you then are asked to pay in another R3600, leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

So the Aliexpress stuff is legit?

Could we put a single order in for all the parts various people need and split postage?

So the Aliexpress stuff is legit?

Could we put a single order in for all the parts various people need and split postage?

I don't have personal experience but a friend had some luck, of course the biggest obstacle is the SA Post Office but at 22 dollars worth a risk.

• 7 months later...

Knocked my Garmin Forerunner 55 against a wall, the screen has a small crack, anyone knows how much Garmin will charge me for a replacement screen and how long would it take for me to receive the watch from them, thank you 

• 2 years later...

Did you manage to get it fixed or replaced the watch because my forerunner 55 screen just cracked today also wondering about cost.