Western Cape People - Opinions Please

The Ouzo

A number of factors have lead the wife and I to a breaking point and we are looking at relocating to Western Cape.

Travel to work is not much of an issue, the wife can work from home 99% of the time and the odd occasion she needs to be at the office her company has an office at the Water Front.

For me I'll need to find work but can search for places closer to where we decide to move to.

Kids wise we will need to think about good schools, they are currently in private school doing international curriculum so that would be a bonus, but I know some of the non private schools down there are also pretty good.

We've started to take a liking to Sommerset West due to location, housing prices and the above criteria. 

What are your opinions of the area ?

What would a commute be like to Stellies ?

A number of factors have lead the wife and I to a breaking point and we are looking at relocating to Western Cape.

Travel to work is not much of an issue, the wife can work from home 99% of the time and the odd occasion she needs to be at the office her company has an office at the Water Front.

For me I'll need to find work but can search for places closer to where we decide to move to.

Kids wise we will need to think about good schools, they are currently in private school doing international curriculum so that would be a bonus, but I know some of the non private schools down there are also pretty good.

We've started to take a liking to Sommerset West due to location, housing prices and the above criteria. 

Somerset West is a good area.

It would be trying if your wife needs to get to the Waterfront or back during peak traffic periods.

The commute to Stellies is easy to relatively easy depending on the time of day.

There is a highly regarded school offering the international curriculum in SW.

Thats a long commute to waterfront. And then you also have pass the notorious N2 hell run

That commute to the WF wont happen very often at all. This pandemic has shown her company that staff dont have to be in the office to work. She has been working from home since march 2020, even before then she had an arrangement with work whereby she would leave at 15:00, go fetch the kids and then logon from home.

If your wife needs to occasionally be at the Waterfront and you are not tied down employment wise, why don't you consider an area in Cape Town. 

I might be wrong, and while I do not know your occupation, I would think that there would be more employment opportunities in CT than in Stellies or SW. 

Areas such as Constantia are great and offer a lot of value (relatively) and have a surfeit of good schools in the area. The peak hour traffic is much better than the N2 disaster and would be laughable to a denizen from the Big Smoke.

If your wife needs to occasionally be at the Waterfront and you are not tied down employment wise, why don't you consider an area in Cape Town. 

I might be wrong, and while I do not know your occupation, I would think that there would be more employment opportunities in CT than in Stellies or SW. 

Areas such as Constantia are great and offer a lot of value (relatively) and have a surfeit of good schools in the area. The peak hour traffic is much better than the N2 disaster and would be laughable to a denizen from the Big Smoke.

Hout Bay is often a first port of call for people who move down from Gauteng. The International School campus is in Hout Bay.

Edited by Blackbeard

Somerset West is a great area if your wife can work from home most of the time. It can get windy and it's pretty warm in summer so if you're looking to buy consider a place with a pool. As you know the WC is prone to drought so a place with a borehole/jojo water solution is a must.

The housing market is a mess at the moment so don't be scared to be VERY cheeky with offers.

As far as lifestyle goes you can't really do much better. There are trails everywhere and excellent roads for riding. The beach is at the bottom of the hill and the wine farms are next door.

Don't underestimate the commute to and from Stellies. When the students are in town getting out of Stellies on the R44 is a nightmare.

As stated when we eventually get back to normal getting to town is an ordeal. But truthfully getting to and from town is terrible from anywhere.

If you're keen on Somerset West I'd commit to that. 

traffic in cape town 2021 is nothing like 2019(which was getting silly).

BUT i reckon jhb people still spend way more time commuting in general.

when it returns to normal, who knows what it will be, but the point being - occasional commute is fine.

As for Cape town living, you're preaching to the converted.

Many people have semigrated to the cape recently and most seem to be overjoyed. if you can make it happen, make it happen.

That commute to the WF wont happen very often at all. This pandemic has shown her company that staff dont have to be in the office to work. She has been working from home since march 2020, even before then she had an arrangement with work whereby she would leave at 15:00, go fetch the kids and then logon from home.

A lot has to do with whether you want your kids to go to an Afrikaans school or an English school.English...Southern Suburbs,Afrikaans...daaikant.

I have a friend in Somerset West who's son is in the International school there.. They are very very happy.

Areas such as Constantia are great and offer a lot of value (relatively) 

Erm. He's considering moving from Gauteng. Looking at property prices in Constantia is bound to give even well-heeled Gautengers heartburn when comparing like-for-like in terms of surface area...