Bike washing...

BikeisLife

Bike washing  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who washes your bike?

• Yourself
    • Bike shop (wash + lube)
    • Bike park bike washer (or race washer)
    • No one...
  2. 2. If someone else does it for you, do you go through it afterwards or leave it as is?

• Go over it when I get home
    • Leave it as is

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to take my bikes to my LBS, they did such a good job getting them really clean, especially the drivetrain. I soon realized that my bearing lifespan had fallen off a cliff. They don't have the time to carefully clean a bike, they need to turn them over really fast, which most likely involves using a high pressure washer and some serious degreaser.

Agree with Eddie - unless I need to take my bike to the shop for something I wash myself - best way to find loose spokes, cable wear, slightly noisy bearings, etc...

On the subject, please don't use dishwashing liquid...

I changed to this stuff a year or two ago and now we use it for the cars, floors and kitchen / bathroom counters - it's brilliant :

https://stealthhealth.co.za/product/ecologic-bulk-5l-with-750ml-trigger-pop-top/

Home mix into different dilutions for drivetrain and general bike / wheels.

Edited by JBK

Best is to do it yourself. Find all the nics and scratches, possible cracks etc. Also no one can do the job the way you want it.

In full agreement. 

Good lbs that use low pressure and look after the bike is hard to find and expensive for just a wash.

Most places can get the bike shinning for 50 bucks but you'll be back for bearings yearly.

Personally I just do it myself, helps me to identify parts that are nearing the end of their life

Best is to do it yourself. Find all the nics and scratches, possible cracks etc. Also no one can do the job the way you want it.

I

This.

I dont wash my bike often. I take it on merit on the days ride. If its dusty, I wipe it off. If some stubborn marks, then a spray bottle with either car wash or bike wash. I rarely have bike wash. Which reminds me I need some autosol for the raw aluminium. If the trails were wet then I rinse with a hose with a slightly open tap. Spray with soap from a spray bottle, wash it down and then rinse and dry. Lube what needs to be lubed and you should be good.

Mmmm. Maybe Devon and Prevon from Biogen should do a “Howzit to was your bike may china” instructional video. Could be highly entertaining.

DIY wash all the bikes for the family. The one bike is still under warranty and whenever it goes for the compulsory servicing they wash it. So far not a single complaint from their washing. The do overdo it with the lube though.

If the bikes are super dirty they get hit with the foam cannon using ph neutral car wash soap. Same soap i use when detailing cars. A fluffy hand mitt is used together with different soft brushes to dislodge the dirt. Simple light rinse to get everything off and then dried using a combination of a leaf blower and compressed air to force water out of ever little nook.

Takes about 30 minutes to do two bikes every two weeks or so. There is such a thing as over-washing I believe.

On the wash topic, when do you then lube and which parts do you lube after a wash?

I degrease My chain with every ride ( probably shouldn't ) and then lube it generously and wipe off all excess.

Lubing A dirty chain will just make it attract more gunk more quickly 

Pivots get A light touch of grease on the outside ( just to discourage water ) and are properly packed inside , frequency depends on how much you ride but yearly is A good rule of thumb 

Agree with Eddie - unless I need to take my bike to the shop for something I wash myself - best way to find loose spokes, cable wear, slightly noisy bearings, etc...

On the subject, please don't use dishwashing liquid...

I changed to this stuff a year or two ago and now we use it for the cars, floors and kitchen / bathroom counters - it's brilliant :

https://stealthhealth.co.za/product/ecologic-bulk-5l-with-750ml-trigger-pop-top/

Home mix into different dilutions for drivetrain and general bike / wheels.

Dish washing liquid is as close to a neutral pH, so it won't do much damage.

Just requires some warm water and lots of scrubbing.

My motto / view on this: if someone with a (place expensive car brand here) goes to a car wash and get there car washed what soap do they use? Secondly when someone with a (place expensive car brand here) takes his or her car for a service what lubricant do the mechanics add?

So based on the above answers you'll soon realize that cars have been washed and serviced with off the shelf items for many years, why do we feel the need to use a special item to clean and lube our bikes????