Bike washing...

BikeisLife

Bike washing  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Who washes your bike?

• Yourself
    • Bike shop (wash + lube)
    • Bike park bike washer (or race washer)
    • No one...
  2. 2. If someone else does it for you, do you go through it afterwards or leave it as is?

• Go over it when I get home
    • Leave it as is

Dish washing liquid is as close to a neutral pH, so it won't do much damage.

Just requires some warm water and lots of scrubbing.

Dishwashing liquid is FULL of salt - that's what makes it so thick - salt is not good for your bike.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dishwashing liquid is FULL of salt - that's what makes it so thick - salt is not good for your bike.

Really ... dishwashing liquid have NaCl in it?  Sorry for not taking your word for it, I need to go check on that one.

Edit:  Just checked, there is a lot of Sodium (Natrium - Na) in it but no Chlorine (Cl). 

Hence there is no salt in there.  Checked for Sunlight only though.

Edited by TheoG

Dishwashing liquid is FULL of salt - that's what makes it so thick - salt is not good for your bike.A good 

A recognized brand has a Neutral PH  (SABS 825 ). A cheap brand or back yard chemical company add salt to thicken it .

Really ... dishwashing liquid have NaCl in it? Sorry for not taking your word for it, I need to go check on that one.

Edit: Just checked, there is a lot of Sodium (Natrium - Na) in it but no Chlorine (Cl).

Hence there is no salt in there. Checked for Sunlight only though.

https://avalonking.com/blog/breaking-down-the-car-wash-soap-vs-dish-soap-debate/

Keep using dishwashing liquid buddy... Enjoy...

I simply cannot understand this philosophy of "i can and will use dishwashing liquid for everything"... You're not doing yourself any favours not are your even saving money...

After every ride, am mostly to pedantic to put a dirty bike away.

Only clean it myself, fairly thorough wash most times.

Use muc off products 90% of the time .

Washed bike for first time in about 2 months yesterday....only because I wanted to pull and service the fork and fit a new gear cable and outer and a bit of general maintenance...Used the car wash shampoo....

So long as the moving parts are clean Im not too fussed about the state of the bike, especially this time of the year with all the rain...

Do it yourself.

Sunlight liquid and high pressure hose. I focus on spraying it on the chain, bearings and derailleurs.

Careful - some might agree and follow your lead...

Bikes are expensive, so why skimp on the cleaning costs? Sure, the Muc Off, Finishline, products etc. are 75%:25% marketing:worth. But I still believe your bike deserves that 25%.

Sunlight? Ugh

When it gets really muddy on those rare occasions I might ride in the rain, I use some steel wool to scrub off the muck.

and a bit of brasso to make it shine, works wonders.