Sick note for School

Long Wheel Base

I just want to get some opinions from people who have had kids at school for longer than I have.

So 2 weeks ago my twins(in creche, they will be 3 in June) started getting a snotty nose and cough over the weekend. There had also been messages on the Mom's whatsapp group about a few of them not feeling too well over the weekend.

Monday morning they were very grumpy and had some sort of bug so we kept them at home and so did a few parents.

By Tuesday they were worse so we took them to the Dr and he confirmed they had RSV. A few other kids had also gone to other Drs and they had also been told RSV. By this time the oldest who is in Grade R was still ok but the Dr told us he will probably also get it as he had seen a few kids already this week with it. The Dr told us to keep the twins off school the rest of the week and if the oldest gets sick we can call him and he will just give us a script for the same anti biotic the twins were now starting and keep him off till at least the anti biotics are done.

At this stage all but 4 kids in the twins class were off school so it pretty much got them all as well as older siblings at home.

Tuesday evening the oldest started getting sick so we knew.

Wednesday we kept the oldest at home and we called the Dr and he sent us a script. I went to dischem and got the anti biotics(the pharmacist still commented how this anti biotic is all of a sudden out of stock in the 15ml and can only give me the 30ml so I will throw 15ml away. I laughed and said pfizer is doing a good job because all the Drs in the area are prescribing the same anti biotic).

Then the following Monday they were much better(and finished anti biotics) but all still had a cough so we kept them at home an extra day.

Tuesday we sent them all to school.

Now the oldest' school have asked us for a sick note as they said more than 2 days off and they need a note. Now while I can just call the Dr and get one as he did say we should keep him home, I am just wondering if this is standard practice? He is in Grade R, 4 days off school is not an issue in my books and it's not like he is in high school and we drop him off at school and he then bunks and tunes the teachers he is sick. I don't ever recall needing a sick note when I was at school.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to get some opinions from people who have had kids at school for longer than I have.

So 2 weeks ago my twins(in creche, they will be 3 in June) started getting a snotty nose and cough over the weekend. There had also been messages on the Mom's whatsapp group about a few of them not feeling too well over the weekend.

Monday morning they were very grumpy and had some sort of bug so we kept them at home and so did a few parents.

By Tuesday they were worse so we took them to the Dr and he confirmed they had RSV. A few other kids had also gone to other Drs and they had also been told RSV. By this time the oldest who is in Grade R was still ok but the Dr told us he will probably also get it as he had seen a few kids already this week with it. The Dr told us to keep the twins off school the rest of the week and if the oldest gets sick we can call him and he will just give us a script for the same anti biotic the twins were now starting and keep him off till at least the anti biotics are done.

At this stage all but 4 kids in the twins class were off school so it pretty much got them all as well as older siblings at home.

Wednesday we kept the oldest at home and we called the Dr and he sent us a script. I went to dischem and got the anti biotics(the pharmacist still commented how this anti biotic is all of a sudden out of stock in the 15ml and can only give me the 30ml so I will throw 15ml away. I laughed and said pfizer is doing a good job because all the Drs in the area are prescribing the same anti biotic).

Then the following Monday they were much better(and finished anti biotics) but all still had a cough so we kept them at home an extra day.

Now the oldest' school have asked us for a sick note as they said more than 2 days off and they need a note. Now while I can just call the Dr and get one as he did say we should keep him home, I am just wondering if this is standard practice? He is in Grade R, 4 days off school is not an issue in my books and it's not like he is in high school and we drop him off at school and he then bunks and tunes the teachers he is sick. I don't ever recall needing a sick note when I was at school.

Schooling has become more hectic and Grade R is important prep for Grade 1.

But also, there are many parents during this time simply keeping their kids at home due to "the virus" so the schools have become stricter.

I've seen it in my daughters school, although more at the primary school than the pre-primary

This must be a new rule for the school. I used to take my kids out of school Grades R,1 and 2 to take vacation out of season for week. Never was I asked to produce a note. The only time we need to produce a sick note was on a test day or exam day.

I will just ignore untill the school contacts you directly.

I know for my boys schools, in the contract we sign states that a sick note is required if child is sick for more than 2 days. 

In the 4 years we are in the pre-prep you are allowed to pull your child for 10 days in total off school for holidays etc. This just stops people disrupting the class environment etc.

This must be a new rule for the school. I used to take my kids out of school Grades R,1 and 2 to take vacation out of season for week. Never was I asked to produce a note. The only time we need to produce a sick note was on a test day or exam day.

us too, but with everyone randomly keeping their kids at home lately, they have become stricter.

I can understand why too ? They also need to plan and accommodate.

Yeah I also remember being off school every year to go do the CTCT without any issues.

We also just going to leave it and I reckon the school will just forget about it. 

I know for my boys schools, in the contract we sign states that a sick note is required if child is sick for more than 2 days. 

In the 4 years we are in the pre-prep you are allowed to pull your child for 10 days in total off school for holidays etc. This just stops people disrupting the class environment etc.

So my wife says it is also in our school contract. I didn't read that thing.

What is RSV?

Stands for Respiratory Syncytial VirusBasically a really bad cold and chest infection. It can be fatal for kids that have issues. It is very common and spreads like covid. Adults get it as well but only shows as a mild cold or cough. 

Schooling has become more hectic and Grade R is important prep for Grade 1.

But also, there are many parents during this time simply keeping their kids at home due to "the virus" so the schools have become stricter.

I've seen it in my daughters school, although more at the primary school than the pre-primary

Yep, at least in our school Grade R is considered a "proper" school year so it is not a trivial thing to just let them stay at home for a few days because the kids follow a set curriculum. Few years back we took my son out for a few days to take along when I did the Sani2C. Teacher threw quite a hissy fit  :eek:

So my wife says it is also in our school contract. I didn't read that thing.

Lol open eyes mister

My youngest is now in Gr12 and yep it has been standard practice to hand in a sick note after 2 days since Gr R.

My children's  primary school is also pretty strict about absenteeism and we have to provide a doctor's note. Also if they miss a test, unless a medical note is provided they will receive 0 as a mark and will not be allowed to write it upon their return.  However they are very accommodating if you send a medical note.

The only thing that I  find a bit irritating is they send  work home if they are off  sick and I am kind of like  if he was well enough to do the work he would be at school. 

Stands for Respiratory Syncytial VirusBasically a really bad cold and chest infection. It can be fatal for kids that have issues. It is very common and spreads like covid. Adults get it as well but only shows as a mild cold or cough. 

what's RSV

My children's  primary school is also pretty strict about absenteeism and we have to provide a doctor's note. Also if they miss a test, unless a medical note is provided they will receive 0 as a mark and will not be allowed to write it upon their return.  However they are very accommodating if you send a medical note.

The only thing that I  find a bit irritating is they send  work home if they are off  sick and I am kind of like  if he was well enough to do the work he would be at school. 

ours state rather clearly that if you are off sick you should not be logging onto the online class that runs in parallel to the inclass lesson