What Wheelset would you pick

F111

Only two worth looking at:

1) Hand built by Dave Marshall :thumbup:

2) The Mavic Aksium - sealed bearing hubs, good tension and common parts.  

The Shimano bearings are cup and cone and patented spoke/nipples??? also the Fulcrum 2:1 spoke pattern and odd size nipples will come back and bite you.

Thanks for the advice I have the same problem with my Syncros wheels cannot get spokes have to wait more than 2 months for spokes.

I am not a fan of Fulcrums (but ok the set I had was on MTB) they feel cheap and if they'll break at any time  :blink:

The Shimano as mentioned above

I am a massive fan of Mavic but didn't they pull out of SA? I can remember something along those lines. 

So to answer your question: Don't ask me, I am no help  :oops:

Thanks for the advice I have the same problem with my Syncros wheels cannot get spokes have to wait more than 2 months for spokes.

Send me a pic of the hub and rim side.  I have over R40 000 spokes in stock. WhatsApp 072 222 7185

I am not a fan of Fulcrums (but ok the set I had was on MTB) they feel cheap and if they'll break at any time  :blink:

The Shimano as mentioned above

I am a massive fan of Mavic but didn't they pull out of SA? I can remember something along those lines. 

So to answer your question: Don't ask me, I am no help  :oops:

Mavic filed for receivership. Their kit is good though. Spares may be an issue.

The aksium spokes are terrible. Very prone to corrosion. Other than that decent Wheelset. Have had the Shimano as well with no issue.

I've always been a mavic fan and I've always run them on my dh bikes whenever possible.

I have a set of Aksium hanging in my storeroom.

They are nice enough but if you live anywhere near the coast the nipples will corrode to a point where they seize onto the rusting spokes necessitating a full rebuild.

Not optimal. 

• 2 weeks later...

The best advice I can give is to avoid any wheels which use proprietary parts.

Mavic, Shimano, Fulcrum, Campy will all become a headache down the line.

Your shopping list should include:

- Sealed bearing hubs
- Normal j-bend or straight-pull spokes (round or bladed)

- Rims which are also "standard - no 2:1 lacing patterns and no "UST" rims which have nipples which thread into the rim.

Hand-built wheels by myself or Dave will last you forever, and if something breaks, at least you can get a sensible repair done.

Based on the pricing of the options in the first post (R8-10k) you can get a very good set of wheels built with Novatec or Bitex or Rapide hubs, bladed spokes and high quality tubeless-ready alloy rims.

For a bit more money you can get Easton or DT Swiss rims on DT Swiss or Hope hubs and these will outlast your bike.

The big brand factory-built wheels in this price range will almost certainly disappoint you.